1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much do you think you've spent in total on your dolls?

May 1, 2021

1. :abow: My thoughts exactly.

2. Dolls are what made me return to art.

I had basically given up on myself as an artist due to being so tired and constantly demoralized in my free time due to a career that was well-paying but super physically and emotionally brutal. I had saved up quite a lot of money by hiding so much of myself, giving away my hard work, and supporting people often doing questionable things in those abusive environments, and for a long time I believed that wringing myself dry in that way was the only right way to live. ... Getting laid off due to Covid was probably one of the best things that happened to me even though it really hurt at the time. I looked at my financial situation .. and while it wasn't perfect, to be honest, there were actually some buckets of savings I just didn't want to even HAVE (emotions are complicated!!). And so, somehow after lots of down days, I said to myself, "If I could invest in anything, I want to get 'Artistic Me' back."

So.... I've spent an awful on my dolls - but I don't think I can assign a monetary value to the feeling of actually being inspired to create again. I had wanted BJDs so much as a teen, and purchasing them has filled a set of needs that went entirely unmet back then. To me, the dolls I have represent a major commitment to self care & a real shift in how I prioritize what is important in my life.

3. This made me feel really sad and im so so sorry you had to go through something like this...
      I want to hug you :...(

4. I think somewhere in the area of USD$2,000. I only have three dolls and they each have only a few wigs, sets of eyes, shoes, and clothes. I have had them all for a long time but haven’t been actively buying things for them for most of that time.

5. How much have I spent on dolls? A nice down payment on a house.

Bearing in mind that I started collecting in 2008, I currently own 71 dolls and I've never sold a doll (yet), my total for dolls, wigs, eyes, mods and face-ups (but not including any clothes, shoes or shipping) is... $27,081US ($33,248CAN).

I make about 97% of the clothes for my boys and at least a dozen of them wear wigs I made. Quite a number of them also wear eyes that I make. Shoes are bought but I also don't have a huge shoe collection for them either. It's hard to estimate costs for the clothes I make as I've gotten fabric scraps from my mom, I re-purpose clothes I can't wear anymore and I'll frequently pick up fabric at the 2nd hand store. I rarely buy fabric from the fabric store but sometimes I will if there's a sale or a fabric is just too pretty.

Like a couple of others have said, I don't have any other real money sinks. Dolls are basically what I spend "fun money" on. I do spend $60CAN every 3 months on my ESO Plus membership but aside from that, it's basic life stuff (rent, groceries, internet, etc.) that I spend money on and nothing else.

I don't drink or smoke. I don't go to clubs/bars (when we used to be allowed to do that). I don't go to spas/hair salons/the gym. Even before Covid I went to an actual movie theater maybe once a year. I rarely eat out anywhere including fast food places. I've ordered in food twice in the past 3 years (and only because I had 40% off coupons). I don't even frequent coffee shops (Timmies/Starbucks, etc.). I buy manga/books but only on series I'm collecting (about 3 series, so even that's rare-ish). I don't travel (when we were allowed to do that, too). I don't drive/own a car. I hate shopping so do that as little as I can get away with.

6. You just made me feel poor :l

7. Purchased dolls: two, costs about $1500, the second one is a full set; Purchased accessories & DIY materials for the first doll: $350 for eyes, $150 for wigs, $300 for outfits&fabrics, $100 for props and stands; Purchased make-up commissions and DIY items: $200 including a practice head;
      So, around $2600 in total and I don't considered it that bad. I am not going to have the classical expenditure justification part. Anyway five dolls would be the max number I am comfortable with, which means one more pet doll and two additional 70cm+ dolls. I would give $500 budget for the pet doll and $1500 for each 70cm+ dolls. In total, $3500 in the near future. Plus a camera and a taller body for my first doll, hopefully I won't spend more than 10k in this hobby:chomp::chomp::chomp:

8. I would say $3000 on things directly from VOLKS alone...
      I don't know if I actually want to calculate it and find out though

9. It’s a blessing and a curse knowing these things!
      I feel like it’s good to keep tracking of your spending but to some it might be a bad thing. I know myself I’m the type of person who doesn’t impulse buy, but if I like it I’ll buy it without a dare for the cost. But if I’m shown how much I’ve spent on it and other things in a lump sum I feel crappy and horrible. So I’m short I rather not see my damage haha

10. I'm almost embarrassed to say how much.:doh Definitely beyond 3k.

11. I’ve kept a spreadsheet since the first thing I bought but I don’t want to talk about it :p I’ve only been interested in BJD since last October and I’ve already spent thousands.

#52 aliquotiens, May 8, 2021
      Last edited: May 21, 2021
    12. Hmmmmm probably almost 2k AUD for dolls, clothes, wigs and shoes. Ignoring any craft supplies I already possess.

It terrifies me to actually tally up that money properly.

13. I think it terrifies most of us or rather the people who’ve been actively buying in this hobby for years lol.
      I’ll probably be one of those people to spoil their dolls and actively buy stuff. I couldn’t imagine owning like 20+ dolls but now that I think about it you can’t really say that when people release such amazing dolls. I strictly told myself I was gonna make my twins and make six and mono. 4 dolls that was all. But now I bought ringdoll Nikki, my 2 girls, 2 dolls from DOLLNOIZE, six and mono are being made by an artist plus 4 hand maidens from fatal frame. I wanted to dolls to surround a story I have in mind and others for others so I think I’ll eventually get 10+ when my original goal was just 2 lol

14. I think I'm around $2.5k in the past 8 months! However, I don't feel guilty about it. I've been homebound for years due to my health problems, I cook all our meals, I budget strictly. And hobbies like this (plus, you know... love) are what make life worth living for me. They bring joy and meaning to my life, and allow myself to express myself creatively. 2.5k is easily worth a fuller, happier life when I'm in pain and exhausted every day, and can't otherwise live anything close to what most people consider a 'life' :cool:

#55 Ruinscathedral, May 9, 2021
      Last edited: May 9, 2021
    15. I’ve deliberately avoided keeping track of what I’ve spent over the years. I feel guilty enough about all the money I’ve spent on myself, seeing the actual number would negate the joy I’ve gotten. Even without keeping track, I do know I could have bought a nice used car, lol.

16. That’s a good way to stay happy!
      Don’t think about the cost !

17. I've only just started this hobby and already spent far too much. But it's also helped get me back into art--like @maxxxamillion said, I think I'm starting to get the "artistic me" back and I'm excited about that. I'm remembering what made me the "artsy kid" back in school, and everything I gave up when getting my computer engineering degree and focusing on being useful to a capitalistic society. Still, I don't exactly want to keep track of how much I'm spending or I'll be very guilty about how much this hobby costs me--despite having other hobbies that cost plenty, and aren't as resell-friendly.

18. Ima say in the ballpark of 10k. But I took about 7ish years off the hobby. I’ve only been back into it for about a year or so? But ima put it around that. Honestly I would probably spend more, but I have a toddler and a tattoos/clothes/handbags/jewelry addiction LOL. I have to balance how much I spend on this hobby and how much I spend on things that make me happy with myself (work out gear, manicures, hair salons, music festivals, going out with friends and traveling, tattoos, etc ). When I originally got into this hobby I didn’t spend money on myself and just bought things for my dolls and I realized that was really unhealthy. Now I am older I find a balance.

19. I haven't got an actual running total, but estimating my doll spend over the 6(ish) months I've been into BJDs has kept me from making multiple impulse purchases. It's a wild hobby for me to have picked up when I'm otherwise a pretty frugal person... I can afford what I've spent, it just feels very strange when I think about it compared to what I've spent on literally anything else recently. My compromise with my frugal side is to try to pace myself a bit!