1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much is enough?

Dec 23, 2016

1. I have 13 on-topic dolls (10 SD, 2 MSD, 1 1/6th scale), 3 off-topic BJDs (1 SD, 2 Yo-SD), and so many other dolls.

I don't have a hard limit for dolls/BJDs, but I think I'm at about my limit for SDs (and perhaps MSDs). For some reason, I can justify having many YoSD/1/6th scale dolls just because they look pretty, but I feel like I must play with/craft for my MSDs and SDs, and have full stories developed for my SDs (with the exception of my off-topic SD).

For SDs, I'm beginning to feel like if I added another character, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart/develop an extensive story for them/use them to examine a particular social issue/aspect of society.

Because I'm feeling close to my limit, I have several dolls which may remain on my forever-wishlist, but never purchased (all are MSD or smaller). We'll see if this continues to be the case!

2. I'm not really sure yet, but I'm guessing about 5 will be my limit. I have only 1 doll right now, one on the way, and plans for at least 3 more; so I'm hoping that'll be the end for awhile since I want to be able to focus on wigs and clothes and fabric and stuff. But I tend to break my own rules so well see I suppose :)

3. Lol, happens to me, too. Two of mine are little DZ event dolls that are twins and then three little 16 cm DZs. I think the size fools me!

For me, even though I get antsy at 16, I find it hard to see any amount as too many, because so many people in my local group have many dolls. Lots of them have been collecting for a long time. The friend who introduced me to dolls must have well over a hundred, but she got them over a decade or so. all adorable, too. :) So, I think I have lost all perspective in too many. :)

4. Thank you. Always curious to know how others fill in this hobby :)
      I did not tell wat size dolls I have: 3 yosd (I really like this size) 4 msd in several sizes and body types and a tiny. My daughter has one msd body in use from me so I also have one floating head right now (thinking about selling, but can't just part from it jet)

5. I pretty much think that as long as someone can afford the dolls, pay all their actual life expenses first, and don't suffer socially or emotionally from the amount then it's not too many ^_^ I don't think 14 is a huge amount, I just keep thinking I have like 7 lol

6. Hmm, I had 13 dolls. I'm restarting my collection now and I'm glad... because I can't have that many dolls again. It was stressful, I could never build up enough shoes and wigs and clothing for them all, and I felt guilty just letting some of them sit around...

Max I want this time is 6, but I think I might end up only having 3 or possibly 4 at most. I'm planning in keeping it too the two YoSD sized dolls I have ordered, and one MSD I'm saving for. Then I'll see how I'm doing. If I find I'm able to get them all enough shoes/wigs and make enough clothing I'll get one more yosd!

I don't think it's a problem to have more dolls, but for me it's too much... I like to be able to build up a wardrobe for them and actually spend time with all of them. I can't do that if I have tons of them.

7. I have five that have never been opened and then I ordered four more that probably will not come out of their boxes, I guess I will retire at nine.

8. I've set myself a strict limit of 4, due to space constraints. I can only afford one doll a year, too.

9. I have no clue what enough is - I'll probably know it when I get there. :thumbup

10. I want to be reasonable and say five or six but my own wishlist exceeds that. I guess it depends on how many dolls I can reasonably enjoy and how they fit into my collection.

11. I once thought 4-5 would be my max then I hit 20 a few years ago. That was too many at the time, so I sold a few. I'm still at 14 plus a few floating heads. I intend to sell two, but I'm also waiting for two and planning another. When I say 15 SDs it seems like too many, but when I look at the 14 in my bedroom, I figure I could get 4 or 5 more.
      I think 15 will be max for now, but that could go down to 10 (honestly would probably just store some) or up to 20-25 as my living space changes. I do want them to have wigs, eyes, and character appropriate dress. Temporarily storing them is alright if I have them on rotation of which are boxed and which displayed, but I don't want to have so many that I never even look at some.

#31 louiselle, Dec 28, 2016
      Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    12. For me, I have one MSD right now.. I'm thinking about a maximum of 3. Perhaps another female and a male. That would be it doll wise, or at least bigger doll wise. I want a few pets and maybe a few small ones. But I don't know if I could handle 9. So perhaps 5 dolls total. 3 MSDs, and two dolls smaller than that. I don't think I'll count pets.

13. I currently have 1 BJD, and I've realized I will probably end up with more than 2-3. However, at this point in time I doubt I could handle more than 4. I don't have money right now so I don't need to be worried about falling down the slippery slope for a few years at least.

14. Well, I am now done putting my crew together. 10 human dolls, one dragon. And the thing with the attraction...I realla have no idea.

15. At one point, I thought more than 5 would be enough. Then I hit double digits and thought anything more than 15 would definitely be more than enough. Then I had 15 and 20 became my limit. At 20, I upped what I thought would be enough. And then I saw dolls that were characters of mine and I somehow had 30 dolls. As of today, I have 39 dolls and I will shortly be ordering another and sometime later in the new year when my wallet recovers, his partner.

When is enough for me? I suppose when companies stop making dolls that embody characters of mine that demand to be shelled.

16. I once thought 5 was already to many dolls. Then I bought more and more BJd but I tried to stay under 26 BJDs (one per letter of our alphabet) Now I'm close to 40 BJDs and I don't feel overwhelmed! :doh

17. UGH.

It's the second-worse thing in the hobby for me. The first is yellowing, but then trying to limit and plan my doll family is... getting out of control.

When I started in 2009, I had a clear plan, and it was about 6 dolls. Over time, that plan has mostly stayed solid, but slowly, one or two more concepts creeped in, changed a little... so now, that doll family plan has become 9. That by itself is reasonable, especially since 3 of them were tinies and the others were MSD.

But somehow I fell to the temptation of a couple impulse buys... three, to be exact. They're much smaller, much cheaper, than my others, so that all three put together cost the same as my most expensive MSD, and I plan to pamper them much less, but it bumps my number up to 12. I wanted a hard limit of 10!!

And then on top of that, doll companies are finally wising up and making all sorts of amazing mature minis like I longed for when I first found BJDs. Iplehouse FIDs, Luts MDFs, and Raccoon Dolls too. I want to shell between 3-6 characters as mature minis now, and this is all going to drive me crazy, I swear! The number's at 15 and counting, and I KNOW I don't want that. Having too many different dolls will start to make me anxious to spread my attention and such, and that totally ruins the point.

I've considered letting go of the tiny cheaper ones but... ugh, that feels impossible when I look at them... I want to think of them as toys or props rather than BJDs just so I don't have to add them to my BJD count OTL .

But for me, ideally it'd be 10.

<3 ali

18. Ugh.

I remember that when my second doll (my first SD) arrived, I thought that three (my third would be an SD too, I already had his head) would be the limit of what I could handle. Well... by the end of 2017, I will likely have 27 dolls. I'm waiting for three dolls (one MSD, one SD, one tiny event doll), and I still need a body for a floating MSD head. My current doll count is 23. They all have a face-up, a wig and eyes, and all but 2 have clothes - but only half of them have their definitive look, and of those, I'd like to restyle a few now that I can make better clothes and have more fabric...

So I guess that I probably have too many. But I couldn't part with a single one. That's just not an option. I love all my dolls and I continue working on them. It tends to be in little bits, but... No, I don't want them to go.

Mind you, I've told myself that when the 2017 ones are here, that really has to be the end of it. Then again, I've said that at 10, at 15 and at 20. Not sure I trust my resolutions anymore :P. Also, I tend to forget to count my small dollies because they don't take up much space. So I always think I have fewer than I have in reality.

Like I said: ugh.

19. "Enough" always seems to be a few more dolls than I currently have. ;)

Actually I do feel like I have too many to keep track of now (somewhere around 40), and I'd like to make my collection more focused.

20. I thought one would be enough when I started. Then it was four. Then six. Now, I figure I'll know it when I reach it, and based on my plans for further characters, I'm not there yet. Currently I have 37 or so, with 3 more dolls/parts on orders, and I have no problem keeping track of all of them. I only have trouble keeping count. :)