1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much stuff did you initially buy for your first doll?

Nov 25, 2020

1. I actually didn't get anything! I didn't know who she was gonna be yet and wanted to wait for a vibe to settle in before I got anything that I would end up not liking on her anyway. So I had her completely stripped and naked for a few weeks before I made her some clothes, got her some eyes and a wig and she slowly started growing as a character. It was a really rewarding experience because she truly felt like a project.

2. Too much. I bought him from Dollmore, and added an extra $200 worth of clothes I ended up not liking over time and selling off of it but like, one shirt and the free-gift pants they sent with my order.
      On one hand I'm glad I had that stuff, or he'd have been naked for a long time XD But on the other hand I could have saved money!

3. I saw recommended somewhere that its a good idea to get a doll with two wigs, two outfits, and two sets of eyes at minimum that way you can mix and match a bit to find something you'd like. I think that's a good idea, but I ended up getting my first doll with just a wig, eyes, and outfit. That way they at least could be "complete". Im glad I didn't get extra stuff because I didn't know what to expect, honestly, with the first doll and now at least having it Its a bit easier to visualize what things I want now.

4. With different outfits I would suggest getting pieces in colors and styles that work well together so you'll actually like mixing them up.

5. Well...nothing actually. As a teen, I only had enough money for the doll itself, and nothing left for other tools or accessories. But it worked out fine in the end. Someone gifted me a doll kimono while I was saving up, and my doll did in fact wear that until I got a basic outfit. I think it's fine though, sometimes you don't know exactly what you should buy until after the doll has arrived.

#45 Insane-Chan, Mar 24, 2021
      Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    6. I only bought him a single outfit other than the default outfit that he came with. Luckily, that outfit suit him perfectly to me so he wore it for years. I also think it's fine to wait and see if any of your plans change once you see the doll in person.

7. I bought a single wig and a pair of eyes lol. That was a mistake on my part, I think it was one of the contributing factors to me never falling fully "in love" with her since I couldn't paint/sew and didn't want to spend money to have someone else do it, so she spent a lot of time naked and faceless!

8. I thought when I ordered my first that I was just getting one doll, with an alternate Dreaming head I'd switch to once in awhile for pictures... So I prepped for having one doll. A pair of wigs in the same color (one short, one long), a couple of outfits (one Japanese in style, the other Chinese). A spare set of eyes in a slightly darker color in case I didn't like the defaults, plus a few little props and accessory what-nots.

It turned out to be a Good Thing that I'd gotten those spare eyes and two wigs and two outfits. That "alternate head" ended up having a faceup that looked NOTHING like the open-eyed head's. No way were they ever going to pass for the same individual. So... Yeah. I bought a second body from the marketplace here and my "First Doll" ended up being a pair of twins. One with short hair and a Japanese outfit... and one with longer hair and dressed in Chinese style. My attempt to have "spare items" ended up being just enough. :lol:

9. My first doll was secondhand so I didn't have a long wait to order stuff in before she arrived, I ordered one pair of eyes and 2 wigs right after buying her but she arrived first. Also neither of the wigs fit lol.

I did already have clothes she could wear because she shares with my fashion dolls, and within the first few weeks I had her I bought about a dozen clothing items for their collective wardrobe and some furniture. I also got into wig making after the third unsuccessful wig order, because having a bald doll was making me stressed out and the trial and error was getting kinda costly haha :sweat

10. Just a wig and one outfit (a dress and a pair of shoes). I was trying to spend as little as possible so I only bought the bare minimum, but I'm glad I stuck to only a few things. My taste has changed a bit since then and now that I'm familiar with how everything works and know my specific preferences for accessories, especially wigs and eyes, I'm glad I didn't go on a huge shopping spree at first.

11. For the first one I just bought one outfit, I ended up not really liking it but at least they weren't naked. Now I tend to go nuts buying things while waiting, which really isn't a good idea unless you are sure of the style you want them to have. I can't tell you how many times I bought things only to realize later that that wasn't the style that works at all!

12. I bought a few outfits for her and a wig on aliexpress but they arrived about two weeks after her. So for two weeks there was only a blank doll with no hair in my room, just chillin. I sold all of the outfits after discovering taobao, etsy and instagram sales tho haha. Now whenever I get a doll I need to order clothing first or at the same time with the doll cause I cannot stand unfinished dolls in my home. I still struggle with finding shoes tho :D

13. Before my first doll (fullset) came home: a few wigs, eyes, and a little brother (unplanned).

After the little brother and herself came home: Way too much outfits, shoes, crafting stuff, furniture, more wigs and eyes etc.

I think it pays off more to wait for the doll to arrive, even though it's hard to resist temptation.

#53 lyaam12, Mar 25, 2021
      Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    14. Nothing. Two pairs of eyes, and some scraps of Tibetan lambswool to make a wig out of. Like many of the above posters, I was a broke teen, but crafty enough to assume I'd be able to make something I liked. Spoilers, I had a naked doll for YEARS orz

15. Uhh, not much, I ordered my first doll from the junky spot and the only thing I got for him was a pair of pants and a zip up jacket that were also in stock. I have to admit that even now I have dolls come in without any clothes completely panned so I can make them custom outfits. Unless a doll comes in as a fullset (or even sometimes if they do) they usually sit around in some thrown together outfit until I properly decide what to do with them.

16. Just a wig, eyes, and a dress so she wouldn’t be naked. I waited until she came to get most of her stuff, and she still doesn’t have a lot 10+ years later lol. I still haven’t really figured out what kind of clothes work best for her.

17. My first doll arrived with 2 pair of shoes, 2 different wig, and like 4 or 5 outfits. I also bought eyes because I wasn't confident that the random eyes the company would sent her with would be the correct color. Of course they were because that's how life works. I also made her some clothes, but I really underestimated her size and they didn't fit.

I thought I prepared pretty well for my first doll. I had everything I needed. I eventually got her a new wig because the ones I ordered were a little big.

18. Once I physically had my first doll (only took about a week since it was second hand, and she arrived with eyes) I bought her an outfit, 2 wigs, and 2 shoes. i never used the second wig i bought her thought because the the first one was perfect for her. i still have it though.

19. My first girl wasn't tooooo expensive so I was able to buy her a few basics.
      I obviously got her, from Denver Doll. She already came with eyes so I did not need to get her any of those. I got some Mohair for the wig I was going to make her, I got white and pink. I also got her a bra and underwear set, I bought her two outfits as well. I had to get a bit creative when she first arrived because I didn't have any of the items I bought so I made her a short wrap dress from an old doll sweater and a fabric hair tie, luckily I know how to sow. I have a sowing machine I just need to figure out how to change the bottom string. I also already had faceup materials like sealant, pastels, brushes and that kind of thing.

20. Just a wig! I made her a little wrap/halter dress out of a cut-up old t-shirt and she came with eyes and a faceup, so not much else was needed.

Come to think of it, I don’t believe I’ve ever bought any BJD clothes...