1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much would you pay for a doll outfit?

Dec 14, 2020

1. $96 for a new ShiSiJia hanfu set (fur collar, sheer pants, inner robe, robe, outter coat+lace mesh)
      $135 for a new Dream Valley Elias fullset outfit (a extravant beaded collar/cape, thick satin trousers with fringe beading, thick satin outer skirt; leather belt/tassel; and one glove)
      $200/125 for two second hand Angell-Studio Greater/Lesser Snow limited release outfits that are no longer in production (hair ornaments, necklace, sash, coat, bandeau, inner skirt, outerskirt). The first more expensive one actually was missing the hair ornamentsabd necklace.
      I probably wouldn't go above $200 (hopefully).

2. $0 to $400 for me, depends on how good the clothes is and how I love it :XD:

3. So far the most expensive outfit I've bought was just under a hundred bucks. I would say anything above that is a little out of my comfort zone but I would be willing to stretch to maybe $150 max if it was something really special.
      I can't ever imagine spending $150 in one go on clothes for myself yet somehow could do it for a doll...funny how these things work lol

4. I would pay no more than $300 per clothes set. Though, so far, I have not gone above $250 per set. The clothes set are usually Loong Soul and/or Angell Studio ancient Chinese clothing though... the quality are good too so I think they are worth it :)

5. I would say $300 is the highest I would comfortably do for an outfit set, seeing as I spent that on a few of the older VOLKS x BTSSB collab sets last year, but even that depends on the outfit in question greatly and how much I want/how long I've been hunting for it.
      Average would probably be between $50-$100 for SD and around $40-$60 for YoSD/MSD decently detailed outfit sets.

6. I am not much into company outfits as I find individual tailors out there fit my tastes better. I can sew, but I still like purchasing outfits too because the work that goes into one is sometimes too much for me to take on. On average one doll outfit costs maybe 50 to 150 dollars.

Most I have paid is 400 for a SD outfit set. It was an OOAK outfit made by an individual seamstress, and it included a priest gown, a leather plaque doctor mask, leather hood, a harness decorated with crosses, a small bible and a leather whip. In addition he has shoes, cross necklace and a gun, which were 80 dollars more so he's a 480 dollar babe. But that is an exceptional sum and I would not pay it lightly.

I do prefer "complete" outfits with jewelry and such, but most of mine are matched from several individual pieces because most of my dolls are a rare size so I am lucky to find anything fitting at all. I came to this hobby being very cheap and I loved my pennies too much to even buy fabrics sometimes, and look at what I've become. :lol:

7. I will pay up for Volks and Dollheart outfits, as they have good, consistent quality. I've also paid over $140 commissioning a pair of outfits. I sew most of my doll clothes, so while I'd rather make outfits most of the time than pay others to do it, when I do hire someone, I don't want to skimp, as I understand the labor involved.

8. The most I've ever spent on an outfit is $450, for a trinity (105cm) full dress set with some accessories. I can't say if it was worth it yet as it hasn't come in.

Thats an outlier, though. The second-most I've ever spent on an outfit was $150ish (plus shipping) for a fairyland SD fullset. Skirt, top, outer skirt, headdress, wig, shoes, arm decorations, leg decorations. Totally worth it, it has several pieces, and I like (and sometimes even use!) them all, even outside the context of their original outfit

Apart from that, my strategy is to shark around the secondhand market and snap up bundled clothing lots or individual pieces that are low-priced for whatever reason, indiscriminate of brand. I end up with stray pieces I don't want, but that's life. I'll release them back into the dolly economy whenever I get around to it.

The more parts a set has, the better, in my mind... as long as I like each individual piece. If I like only a dress, but not it's associated coat, Headwear, or jewelery... that stings, and really dampens my want to buy. Each piece has to look good, ESPECIALLY jewelery. Chunky, cheap-looking, out-of-scale jewelery makes me sad when I have no choice but to pay extra for it :chomp:

So, for an sd... if I pay $100, I expect multiple components that are cohesive, but not necessarily an unbelievable shebang.
      For an MSD, I might expect $100 to get me a Really Good set*
      For a YOSD, $100 had better get me something really freakin cool*

Size definitelly matters. I was just waffling for nearly an hour whether I wanted to spend $94 to add a fullset outfit to a doll order... underwear, skirt, robe, coat, necklace, belt, scarf. If it were SD and I liked it, I would have jumped on it. But it was a Yosd outfit, and it was pretty... basic, tbh. Just a robe-style coat set, plain fabrics. No decorations on any components (besides necklace). Nothing super interesting about it that made it seem worth more than $30-50 or so.

*disclaimer, I don't buy msd or yosd clothing. I have no idea!

Smaller than that, and you actually start going up in price again, because you're getting into niche, specialized work. Same for bigger-than-sd.

Things that would make me (happily) pay more for a clothing item:

Nice details, such as embroidery, top stitching, in-scale fake (or, even better, real!) details (corset, buttons, pockets, etc), lined garments. Big bonus points for patterns, trims, laces, etc that are appropriate scale!

Jewelery that's nice and tiny. Have I mentioned i hate Chunky, out-of-scale jewelry?

Multiple pieces, ESPECIALLY ones that can be matched with other stuff. In my mind, a perfect outfit set has a cool cohesive overall look, but each piece is interesting-but-subtle enough to be styled with other (unrelated) garments.

Shoes (typically not included in clothing sets, and understandably so, considering the range of feet sizes in the hobby. Feels cheap to me when doll fullsets from a company (which are already tailored to a specific doll body) don't come with shoes, though.)

Wigs (same as above)

Would i comission an outfit? Absolutely, but that requires knowing what I'm doing with my dolls and my life, so it's never been done. I'd expect to pay no less than $100 for a custom SD set (in which the artists creates from an existing design, for my specific doll's measurements), and even more than that if I'm collaborating with the artist to design the set from scratch. For that price, I'd expect at least 2 pieces (top and bottom) of acceptable to professional quality, and notably interesting or obviously skilled in some way (aka not basic everyday-wear pieces)

Limited stuff doesn't sway me. I like it or I don't; it doesn't matter how long it's on sale for.

My maximum is sort of outlined by the above "if i spend $100" thing... the further a set deviates from those expectations, the more the price I'm willing to pay will change. If we get in the $150-200+ range for an sd set, though, we've really got start talking cool, quality, complete sets where I actively like the majority, if not all, items therein.

#28 Xila, Jan 5, 2021
      Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    9. I'd have to be both certain of the fit and really, really like it but I'm thinking if I would pay that for a human version I'd pay it for a doll.

To date I have bought some pieces and a lucky bag of clothes. No full outfits yet. I'm trying to find a sense of style.

10. I don't think I've paid over 20$ for any single clothing piece yet-- student budget strikes again:sweat

11. I have a seller I know on Etsy that makes great tees and leggings for very reasonable prices. If it's more than that I don't buy it. I make it. Even shoes I don't spend that much. I've been known to make boots and shoes myself out of cardboard and felt. I made moccasins for a couple of my dolls.

I do have a lust for gradient wigs and like Happy Camille ones in particular but I do buy them used. I just figured out where to get wefts of doll hair and stretch wig caps cheap so I may be just making my own wigs from now on.

I am pretty cheap. I have little money these days and I can't be spending like I used to but even when I had more money I improvised a lot. I don't spend $35 on doll shoes but my dolls used to look pretty good anyway.

I don't think you should have to be rich to do BJDs. There are all kinds of levels in this hobby. I can't afford $100 costumes and $1000 dolls. But that doesn't mean I won't have BJDs.

Some people who are more affluent act like people who are not don't deserve to own resin dolls. But that's just elitest BS, IMHO.

#31 magkelly, Jan 7, 2021
      Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    12. I think the most I've spent on a single outfit is $150 for an SD boy. When I find a doll I want and start saving, I tend to locate their outfit as well and factor that into the amount I need to save. In theory, I could find an outfit for hundreds and be fine with getting it as long as I could feasibly save the money. It would certainly take much longer than something cheaper, but I am willing to wait.

13. That depends on the outfit. I have talked with some artist about a special outfit thats very complicated and would be around 400 usd. It really depends on quality, material and time. At least in my opinion. But with the 70 cm dolls I think 100-200 for an average well made outfit is okay^^

14. My Empress, a Angell-Studio Diao-Chan, seems to have a pissy look unless she's wearing expensive clothes. I swear she's happiest in an outfit I bought from A-S that was $280. I bought it when I was pissed off over having a cruise cancelled because of quarantine after getting ready for two years.

15. I have routinely spent in excess of $450. Almost every outfit in that range is for my Resin Enchanted Dolls. Recently I received a pair of custom sterling silver heels for them that cost $400 US. My Kaye Wiggs dolls also have clothes that from $150 to $250 not including shipping. I would NEVER pay that for my own clothes.

16. I only buy a cheap fake leather pants and two sleevless tops from acbjd when I ordered my second boy. It costs a bit over 50$ with a boots. Anything else they wear is my sloppy hand sewed clothes. And shoes from Ali express. Bjd clothes costs more than my own clothes, so it's not an option to buy them. But If I have time, I sew for them. I've got plenty of fabrics. (Recycled colthes, others from thrift stores)

17. I thank gods my dolls wear only casual clothes and I have only boys. Such outfits cost much less than some historical or specific clothes. So they cost me no more than $150 (delivery included).

Still, I'd like to get a doll cosplay that has a bunch of specific details and I'm scared to even think about its price :D

18. The most at this point is $450 for custom outfits for my Isabeau. There are at least four at that cost. Recently I commissioned sterling silver shoes for her that were similarly priced. But she is so beautiful in her finery.

19. If I found a FFxiv alphinaud outfit to fit my character girl, I'd spend as much as needed on it. It's the only thing I'm missing.

20. I think the most I've ever spent on an outfit was about $200-$250. I'd be willing to pay more if I was needing a custom outfit or a rare/discontinued/LE outfit.