1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much would you pay for a doll outfit?

Dec 14, 2020

1. definitely depends. ive currently paid under $100 for each of the outfits ive bought for my dolls, but im very new to the hobby. when i see an outfit and its over like $200, i just have the thought "i could buy a whole new doll for that", but ill probably get over that soon lol. commission is different. im currently working on creating a character doll based off an existing fictional character from a popular piece of media with a very specific design, so im planning to commission a full outfit for about $250. the character has multiple outfits, too, so i might even do more as i like some of them.. lol!

2. 150 USD is probably my max.Cuz I prefer spend more on my outfit more than doll outfit. Also I think most of the doll outfits design are not good enough(I prefer modern style) and most of them are pricey. I prefer to make doll outfit more than buy a new one.

3. When I purchased my Myou fullset, the dress was about $75. I love the quality of the outfit, so I'd probably be willing to purchase another outfit around that price again if I really liked the outfit. Preparably, however, I'd like to spend about $50 on a outfit because I'm on a tight budget at the moment.

4. While I can sew a lot of things for the gang myself, I tend not to do elaborate outfits. I stick to plainer designs... But I *also* collect doll outfits almost as fondly as I collect the dolls themselves. Those two facts together have resulted in some pretty spendy buys when I've come across something fancy that I really like but wouldn't try to make on my own.

So... yeah. I've spent a few hundred dollars at a time on sets like that. Freedom Teller suits for Cardinal and Nemissary, fancy IpleHouse pirate and courtier outfits for Jack and Islyn, Vaguely Victorian dresses for the Duchess, a gorgeous Regency-style suit and a cavalry officer's uniform from 4D, more CheeryDoll "lace and frufru" for Ophelia than I even want to admit, quite a few elaborate hanfu sets, the Monkey King's armor... Over the years it's become an interesting assortment of things.

The most expensive commission I ever made was with a Japanese seamstress who typically sewed for Volks dolls. I asked her to make one of her absolutely gorgeous Heian style kariginu sets for Harumatsu, my CP/Delf. That was about $300 when all was said and done, but it is, hands down, one of my favorite parts of the costume collection. It was worth every penny. Somewhat less pricey but still gorgeous was the custom-dyed, "solar colors" silk kimono set that I commissioned from Flowergirl for Lir. Again, worth every penny.

I think that's the real heart of the issue... If the outfit is just so awesome that you can look at it and say, "Yeah. That was worth $X." then there ought to be no regrets about the price tag. It's not like a doll is going to outgrow their clothes or wear them out, either. Handle your collection carefully and you'll have that lovely bit of costuming for years. (Unless it's pleather. *VERY balefully eyes the two Luts "Armadillo" armored outfits that cost a bloody fortune and are now aging poorly due to the materials used to make them* Never spend a lot on pleather, unless you go into it with the full understanding that eventually the piece is going to turn into a cracked and flaking mess.)

5. It's kind of hit or miss? I feel like no outfit should be 200$+.
      But then I think of the work that went into it and details then think I guess that's reasonable.
      but the cheap part of me is like ''absolutely not''.
      I'd pay $200 even maybe even $350 for both Luha and Miwa outfit + ears and accessories.
      But then i see the detail and like Nah it's not fair but then again... I really want them lol

I still cant see myself paying that much for ONE outfit. idk. hit or miss

6. Depends. I am a cheapskate for basics. I actually like plain clothing that can be mix and matched, so that's good I suppose.

But for a "dream" outfit that is not something I could sew myself, with plenty of details and stuff that are super hard to do? Like a super detailed historical gown with a lot of accessories? I would probably be willing to go fairly high, up to the price of the doll if it really was something I loved and can't see myself taking it off (because I wouldn't need to buy anything else for that doll, ever haha). Thankfully, I've never seen such an outfit, so I am safe for now. :)

Funny thing is, I thrift all my clothes. I ask a tailor to adjust my work clothes, but they are thrifted as well, so they are way less expensive than the doll clothes I buy.

7. I am struggling with this right now, there are several "outfits" I want for my Tender Creation dolls but the price tags are scary. So far the most I have spent on one outfit is around $150 and the ones I am looking at are over $200 and they are essentially a bra and panty set. I understand the work that goes into them but having a hard time forking out the money. I really want them to have a specific look that shows off the amazing sculpture of their bodies but so far I haven't pulled the trigger...oh how I wish I had mad sewing skills.

8. Oh my gosh I know EXACTLY how you feel. I really really really want the miwa outfit and bunny ears (if someone ever does sell them and if my marker place application gets accepted I’ll start looking) but for the love of god I’ve seen people pay 400$ for the outfit + ears. I would have such a hard time with it. I know making the outfit is super difficult and the artist did an amazing job. But I would battle with myself to spend that much on a outfit and accessory.

9. It depends, I think the most I’ve spent is $150 - $200 and for complicated work I’d pay to compensate. I am wanting to learn how to make my own clothing

10. $280 for the most expensive outfit I've ever bought. I don't regret it, it makes me happy every time I see it.

11. The most I've paid is about $200 for a very detailed, commissioned outfit. It's still in the post at the moment, but I've seen pictures and it looks amazing. I might spend about that much again, depending on the outfit, but I think that's my limit.

12. I have to admit that it's very difficult for me to justify spending lots of money on specific outfit sets. I'm a big Alice Collections fan and I buy primarily separates from Alice Collections and Etsy. Over time, this has likely amounted to several hundred dollars worth of doll clothes, including exchange rate/shipping fees/custom fees. The advantage of doing it this way is that you can accumulate clothes that your dolls can share, if they're of a similar size. The disadvantage of doing it this way is that the overall look can be less polished or complete, and it may take you months before you can create a satisfactory look for your dolls.

The most expensive set of clothes I've gotten was an outfit set from Ursisarna for my Popovy, which was around $130USD (shoes not included).

Recently, I've been leaning towards investing in one of my favorite types of clothes - traditional multi-layered Chinese robes. I'm budgeting around $100-$200 USD for these, but depending on how it goes, I'm likely to buy 2-3 different sets.

13. 150$ really (over 200$ once). I have been browsing y!j this month and was definitely shocked at some of the prices the outfits I watched sold for... I do love looking at the elaborate 300$+ outfits but I just can't justify paying the amount I can have a new doll for.

14. More than I spend on my own clothes!

15. Errr... probably 250. I don’t always think this way, but most of my decisions are made by whether or not something will retain its resell value well. I think very expensive doll clothes are just harder to sell!

16. At most $200, I probably can't offer more. I decide to learn sewing for my dolls anyway.

17. At the moment, $250 on an SD-sized commissioned dress set. I'm putting my budget for the other girls at $250-300, so yeaaaa. I'm more the sort to have one single outfit per doll though, so I don't think it's unreasonable for that one outfit to be a single high quality dress that was designed specifically for them and reflects their personality! Also, as a lolita, I'm pretty used to spending hundreds on high quality clothes lol

18. The most I've paid is 400 euros for a samurai armor - that does count as a outfit, doesn't it? I knew it would be as expensive than an SD, so I was mentally prepared XD
      But usually my limit is at $250 for an amazing SD outfit and I'm more happy if it stays under $200.

19. So far the expensive outfits have been around $200 USD for me, and those ones are complex full sets with intricate parts. Like others, the outfit quality and style would drive my decision but I feel like anything past 250, it’s going to probably need to be very special either, a custom design or armor etc.

20. I normally like to get dresses for less than a 150$ as I own many SD girls, yet sometimes I can't resist as my most expensive dress I bought was volks pink house Angela dress for around 500$ :aeyepop:. I mean for me it depends really but I like to stay at my 150$ budget :sweat