1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much would you pay for a doll outfit?

Dec 14, 2020

1. One of my larger dolls has a penchant for nicer clothes, Most of the individual parts/sets are not too wild unless I added up the entire box, her wardrobe alone probably totals as much as she did. The rest of my dolls are way more chill. USD, but I'm not going to count shipping/tax here.

Her most expensive outfit set total (pants, shirt, jacket, tie, holster, weapon, hat, shoes) adds up to $296

But the most expensive singular item I own is a backpack from this maker that I paid $115 for. It's the most indulgent thing, all the zippers, buttons, clasps, snaps, and elastic are all functional. It's modular (the middle can be separated into a small pack) and is absolutely amazing. Of course the same doll has laid claim to it.

In general I try to avoid paying over $20 for a tee, usually I run closer to $10-15

I have a few dolls who don't change outfits often or have more set clothes, so it's mostly just three SD's who actually rotate clothes on a regular basis.

2. My most expensive dress was ~$400 ish, but it was the best quality I've ever seen! Amazing details, fine craftmanship, handsewn area looked like machine sewn, I was thoroughly impressed with it. But it was truly a one time only thing, I couldn't bring myself to buy another 400+ outfit XD
      Now if the quality is good, my max is probably ~$200ish.

3. Frankly, I would expect to spend about as much as I would for an outfit for myself like that. There may be less fabric, but the detail becomes that much harder to reproduce. Casual clothes may be cheaper than for myself, but they also need less durability, so that would be a nice "surprise" on my wallet if I just expect to spend what I would on myself.

4. Some of these price tags honestly make me cringe a little.
      I could never (here's that word that I'm sure I'll regret writing) spend hundreds of dollars on a single outfit.
      I think the most I could justify spending would be $150 and I would expect a full outfit, excluding shoes. The most I have ever spent has been $60, but only for one single outfit. I typically don't spend a lot, since I purchase "nice" stuff and just mix and match it with other sets.

However, I don't look down or judge anyone who does spend more for their doll outfits; clearly they have the funds to do so and their dolls are better dressed than mine. I just personally don't feel comfortable putting enough money that would justify a layaway on clothing unless it was a commission.

#64 Angelesk, Jun 9, 2021
      Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    5. The only one I paid crazy $ was $250 but won’t pay that much again unless I really want it or if I want to build a complete full set on a doll.

6. For fully custom clothes that weren't to complicated I would pay 200 at most. If they are premade clothes like you find etsy I would be willing to pay like $90 for something simple I get beading/crochet would cost a lot more!

7. Prolly in the 100-150 range and thats only because thats how much I have already paid for doll clothes. Found a luts dress at Fabric Friends last time I went and instantly caved. I can sew, though, so it takes a lot to make me spend, but I will.

As for company clothes, Not direct from the company as I found it in a BJD store, but Luts. and the quality was awesome.

I can sew so I wouldnt commission someone unless I really liked their work. If thats the case I would prolly say 100-150 just like with company clothes.

I can say that I did recently buy a few fullsets from Gem of doll, mainly because I wanted the clothes too. But they havent gotten to me yet so I have no opinion. X3

8. I’ve paid about $200 for handmade. It’s a lot. I doubt I would ever go over that but I think people who charge more for such work certainly earned it.

9. I think for a single outfit I probably won't go over $100/150 or so. If it's really well made, or part of a full set I love...
      I spend most of my doll outfit money on shoes.

I definitely have spend more on a single doll than I do on most of my own outfits. :roll:
      (Then again, I do wear a different shirt every day, and my dolls don't.)

10. I've paid all sorts of prices to be honest for fantasy styled clothing because that's what my dolls wear. None of them wear jeans/t-shirt/hoodie. It's just not the look I go for. I have paid as low as maybe $30ish and as high as...whatever Elrond's outfit cost. That had to be custom made and I am pretty sure it was several hundred.

I do try to spend a great deal of time deciding if I really like an outfit that costs more than $100. I expect them to be highly detailed and high quality. Does it really suit my doll's character? Can they share it with other dolls I have? Elrond is the soul exception and he is probably my most special doll.

I do have fabric I want to use to make my own fantasy outfits but I have no ideas in mind just yet.

11. Probably a scary number I don't really want to know about :XD:. But I'm guessing somewhere in the mid three digits range. I could see myself comissioning someone in that range for a very detailed outfit of high qualitiy.

Simple clothes I can sew myself so I am much stingier when it comes to simple shirts and similar pieces.

12. I have different price points for things.

Non-LE, non-custom full outfits about $200(I usually only spend $50)

LE sets that came with fullset dolls I’ll never own OR a custom outfit about $500 is my limit

I will eventually(after I finish the grail doll collection) be spending up to $1000 for a custom wedding dress but this thing is going to have to rival *my* wedding dress! Real silk, imported lace and all of those precious details from my dress, I want it doll-sized. I realize this is going to be a lot of work and I would never pay this for any other outfit.

13. .

#73 Gintsumi, Aug 21, 2021
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    14. For full outfits (not including shoes) my max is $100-125. I’ve only done this twice, though, because I prefer buying separate clothing pieces individually and mixing and matching myself.

15. I've bought most of my clothes from Taobao for some of my dolls which is pretty cheap, but when it comes to the 80cm boys, all of their outfits are $200+.

Loongsoul makes some NICE 80cm clothing that I can't resist, and I'm eyeing the newest outfit which is $275.

I thought I wouldn't spend much money on clothing but after seeing outfits from Dokkebijudan and HOPING they would open up to making 80cm clothing, I'd be willing to drop $500+ on one of their outfits.

16. It depends on the outfit, but a lot of high end outfits can be found in the Chinese market. Rather than 'just clothing', they are seen as works of art. The latest Korean brand of high end outfits is BLACK SATURN, which is SOYO's independent brand (you may know SOYO as the one who worked with SOOM for many years and made many many of their LE outfits).

SOYO's first outfit on BLACK SATURN sold for $864USD and was limited to a QTY of 10, which you had to be in a lottery and have your name drawn out for for a chance to buy. The outfits are definitely works of art and latest one will be an auction only in December. They are extremely artisan and high quality, similar to Dokkebijudan's.

I know everyone has a different value for different things, but depending on the craftsmanship and how much I liked the outfit, I'd be willing to pay whatever reasonable amount it took for it to be produced.

17. I don't have a big income (retired) so I try to stay on a budget, but it is not easy. The most I ever spent was $70 on a for a full suit from Alice Collections. But that included jacket, trousers, and shirt. I knew I was in trouble and addicted to doll clothing when I bought a denim jacket for one of my boys for $50 but would not pay that much for a denim jacket for myself.

I buy most of my BJD clothing from Alice Collections, and there are sales and bargains throughout the year. Also I buy from several Etsy sellers. I like to support doll clothing artists.

18. My tastes run toward historical/fantasy asian. These are HARD to find, so buying individual pieces is difficult. Usually my only options are full outfits. So far I paid about $150 for one outfit, but I'm willing to do higher, for good quality difficult to find options. Loongsoul outfits can go over $200.

Currently I'm shelling a few characters from favorite franchises. One of the characters is a complete fashionista, and their SO also has a few outfit changes. I found a source for their clothes. Individual outfits aren't that expensive (about $50ish) but getting all of them plus shipping would be about $500. I'd be good with that so long as I can do a payment plan for that.

19. Spent about 160 dollars on a Dollmore dress. It's beautiful, well made and I can easily see it becoming the center piece of my wardrobe. At first I was cringing a bit at the prices of those dresses, but I guess I got over it (still not over shoe prices though lol).
      Also been eyeing two Sadol sets for 150 and 240 respectively, not sure when I'll take that bullet though.

20. sophies toy paradise is a reseller (and marks up the price quite a bit) all her stock is stuff found on taobao.

Back on topic i think i paid a pretty penny for a fullset outfit second hand though my most recent purchase was an $80 Volks lolita dress that i bought off yahoo japan. I'm pretty loose with budget when it comes to doll clothes lol