1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you bathe your doll and wash their clothes?

Dec 8, 2009

1. The only time I've washed clothes was once that an icecream was involved and you know, accidents happens (also Murphy Law). My dolls don't go out very often, and they are very gently treated, so there isn't a real need to clean them, just once a year and because an insane obsession with cleanliness.

2. When I get a secondhand doll, I dissassemble it, clean it and reengineer it to my liking as needed. I haven't needed to really wash my dolls much because I don't handle them much at all. The exception perhaps is Nori (see avatar) who likes to take a dip in various local bodies of water and that always necessitates cleaning and thorough drying afterwards! If I am selling a doll, I've learned to make sure they aren't packed up for travel 'til they're spanking clean. People tend to expect perfection in this hobby! XD
      Washing clothes can ruin them, as most doll clothes aren't meant to be laundered! On the occasions I've had to clean outfits (arrived dirty or stinking of perfume/dryer sheets) I do so by hand using Twin Pines of Maine's Perk. Rinse in cold water and hang to dry.

Raven

3. I have a question: I have my first doll incoming and I ordered some custom made clothes from spampy here on DoA. Everything I ordered is in dark colors, should I be washing them by hand before she arrives? Also, if I do it by hand, will a certain temperature shrink the clothes?

I'm insanely OCD and quite the germaphobe, so cleaning is my thing... reading this post has made me want to go get a Magic Eraser... and my dolly hasn't even arrived yet! O_O

(P.S. You can Magic Erase if you've gotten a factory face-up because they're protected, yes?)

(P.P.S. I never meant to insinuate that spampy's clothes are anything but completely fabulous! I'm in love! I just don't want to see any staining because I didn't take precautions. Thanks!)

4. Never really wash my dolls or their clothes. They all tend to stay in the house and don't get dirty often. Wigs tend to get washed only if I notice they are dusty. I get too paranoid about staining so the girls never wear dark clothing for long and get washed well after wearing anything.

5. The dolls all take their laundry home for my mom to wash.

6. I've never washed my girls clothes (I've had her for less then a year).. She is never out to where they need to be washed. Plus I'd be to lazy to wash them by hand. And you never know how things would turn out if I put them in the washer/dryer. Haha. XD

I wash my girl on occasion. And by "wash" I mean wipe her down with a wet towel and a lil bit of soap. It would probably be good if I did that soon. I haven't in a while actually. Lol. But yeah. Again, I'm not out and about with her much, she usually just stays siting on my shelf. So she doesn't need much cleaning. I don't think anyways. o Ao

7. I need to wash a few pieces of theirs... mainly just the ones they wear all the time... like jeans and blloomers. I've never washed any of their stuff but I know some of their stuff needs a good wash.

as for cleaning them. I try to do it at least once a month... but a lot of times I just don't have time. but when I notice they're getting dirty I will clean them. I probably should clean them soon... normally I just check if my WS BBB is dirty because he shows dirt the most and I bet he's dirty.

8. I try to keep the doll clothes in a best of a condition as possible, so I have never washed any of them. However, there is a white shirt that attracts black fuzz, so I need to figure out a way to wash that with all of it's delicate lace and pin-tucks and whatnot.

As for the dolls, I coat their entire bodies with MSC, and every few months, I'll remove that and recoat them. Last time I did this was in the summer, so once I'm off from school, both of my MSD's will be getting this treatment again, haha.

There's some fabric that I washed before making clothes out of it, and it still "stained" one of my dolls (thank god it came off), so coating them with spray is what I trust the most, and I don't even bother with washing the clothes anymore (unless it's to see if fabric shrinks).

9. Never use a magic eraser over a faceup or body blushing... even if it's sealed!! The magic eraser is great for cleaning dolls, but eventually it WILL wear off the MSC and then the faceup. Don't do that!!! ::phew:: (It *is* an abrasive, altho a mild one... it still adds up.)

On a separate note... a nice soft washcloth soaked in water and a mild dish washing liquid (I like "Joy", it's very mild and non-abrasive) and applied very lightly will do wonders for cleaning a doll... a Magic eraser will take off things that the washcloth can't get.

Also, ask anyone who makes you clothes to wash the fabric BEFORE making the outfit for you. If it's a store bought outfit, and needs washing then do it by hand in a mild solution, and hang it to dry.

Not trying to sound bossy... just sharing my experiences. I learned the hard way, and don't wish it on anyone.

10. I wash my boys clothes in pretty hot water and haven't had a problem. I've even let them soak in really hot water and still nothing has shrunk. lol

I wouldn't go over their face with the eraser, as I read somewhere it acts like a "buffer" and -might- end up taking the face up off. Then again though I'm so paranoid about my boys face up [the one in my icon. :)] I don't touch it at alllllllllllll evvvveeeerrrr. lmao

11. I haven't bathe my doll yet but I did wash some of his clothes (caused by accidental stains during doll meets, unfortunately, and it ranges from either food to grass / soil T_T).

12. Wellllll........
      I actually don't have any yet but I am getting a few For Christmas.
      And I bathe my friends BJD's clothes only once though =(
      But when I get mine I will bathe her clothes before dhe were's them and then about every two weeks too
      =3

13. If clothes are noticeably dirty or there's been a dust storm I'll put them in a lingerie bag and throw them in with my washing. I've also cleaned by dolls with a damp cloth after dust storms.

14. honestly the dolls only get a wash when they appear dirty to me, and the clothes only when they are dirty, or in need of an iron. It is not like my dolls are out there getting mucky or sweaty and stinky so I don't think they need it that often

15. once a month for the doll, and the clothes, depend if they are dirty or not ~ usually i just rearrange the clothes so it look tidy.

16. Never.

The fabric I use to make their clothes is washed before I use it, and if I'm really worried I'll make a body suit or line the clothing in white. I spot clean the boys with a magic eraser if they do pick up a smudge or something, but I don't 'wash' them.

17. My dolls are still new so I haven't needed to do so (and way to afraid to that I might ruin them). I have only one outfit that I bought & it is in pristine condition. When it does come time to wash the outfit/them, I will do so very carefully (and try not to get to intimidated by it :kitty2).

18. for the dolls, I use a soapy wash cloth and warm water if it's just dirt. It's it's more I use either a stain sponge(I believe some call them magic erasers) or acetone if it's really bad. (One of my dolls got smacked with a sharpie marker recently and it was definitely acetone time.)

The clothes... well... It depends on what they're made of. If they're cotton or jersey or the like, I put them in a langerie bag and throw them in the washer on a delicates cycle. If they are silk or brocade or something made from antique fabric... I either carefully hand wash them or stain treat them, spritz them damp and then throw them in my dryer with a wet towel and a Dryel home drycleaning kit.

19. Erm, I've not washed my dolls...but one of them is brand new and the other is more than a year old, but she spent most of her time in the covered bookshelf so she's clean...except for the occasional stain that I erase...
      I washed her stockings though, when I first bought them.

20. I try to do a dolly day every week or other week XD I'll wipe 'em down with a magic eraser if there's even anything there, and maybe restring their legs or arms if something feels loose~ I handle my dolls a lot (*cough* about everyday lol) and Miwa's legs always seem to get noticeably dirty somehow. but for my poor Nori his pants somehow always stain him even if they are from really old jeans I've worn and washed a bunch ._.