1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you bathe your doll and wash their clothes?

Dec 8, 2009

1. I regularly clean my main vinyl doll, but that's due to how much use she sees. A few hours under the heat lamp with spot remover on her fixes her right up and a sponge with water on it gets the little spots off. She's easy to maintain.
      I've never washed any of my dolls' clothing, pardon the ones that were mine and then repurposed. I should probably start doing that, if only for the sake of keeping stains at a minimum.

2. I've only magic eraser-ed my doll when his diy black boxers stained him(whoops)... but i should probs wipe him down with a soapy soaked cloth once in a while. As for his clothes i haven't washed any, except when i was making him a new pair boxers in the hopes of getting the red chalk off of the fabric.

3. I dust and maintain my doll at least once a week, but washing? No way! As for clothes, his duds are from Dollheart, so that's a no go too. I don't "play" with him in a way that would ever get him dirty, so there's no need.

4. I don't think I will wash clothing unless it's handmade. As for my dolls themselves... I haven't had any reason to wash them yet. Except right now I'm treating for stains. Does that count?

5. When I'm ready to restring a doll, I wash her off and let her dry. I've never washed any of their clothes! I keep them dust free in storage boxes and my dolls wearing them are in a glass front case, so they don't have much opportunity to get dirty.

6. I usually just pre-wash and pre-shrink the fabric before I make anything out of it. The fabrics that can't be washed I haven't had a problem with those fabrics staining.

7. Exactly the same, I never washed doll clothes or wigs if to be honest.

8. I don't wash my dolls or their clothes; I always make sure my hands are clean before touching them and I've never had a need to wash them. I treat them more like art and don't "play" with them; I'll take one to sit out occasionally and photograph them. I also collect rare Disney/Pokemon plush that are cuddled more than my dolls and I've learned that sometimes washing can do more harm than good, so I make sure my hands and environment are clean before handling them and setting them down somewhere. My dolls are kept in their boxes unless I take them out so I don't worry about dust.

9. I wash my doll every two or three months. Used to do it twice a month, but well. Things change. That meant I was giving my doll a bath by wiping him down with soapy water, and then using the magic eraser on some stubborn dirt and smudges. That's when I decide to change him out of his clothes. I also launder his clothes since they accumulate dirt and dust from the air, after all- especially when he goes out with me.

10. i havn't really washed any of their clothes as of yet (however i dont want to think about how bad my poor MSD needs his pants washed TnT)
      i pretty much give them a bath whenever i notice that they are dirty ^^ i use baby wipes to clean them because unlike magic erasers the don't mess with the sealant and i've had fantastic results with them ^-^ (they even fixed on of my dolls when i accidentally got marker ink on him without noticing it (i felt like such a horrible dolly mama))

11. I just washed all their stuff... last week? Brief toss in the dryer for about three minutes on wrinkle release, medium heat, then stretched out for air-drying on table/eliminating wrinkles, much like I do my own clothes.

I don't often wash, but occasionally I do dependent on how long it's been since I've messed with the clothing or it accumulated dust/dirt/etc....

My dolls are washed fairly often/spot-cleaned, but I'm a neat freak (and I do these things as I see the need to). I don't handle them very much and if I do, it's usually through their clothing/oils are not really an issue for me. I only full take apart and wash if their elastic is at that dead point, then they get a nice scrub with a toothbrush and mild-dish detergent soak.

12. I was wondering whether to start a thread when I found this one. I was also wondering whether to wash my doll's clothes. The reason being I had read that clothes can sometimes stain the resin and as mine's predominantly dressed in black I thought there's a possibility her white skin might stain. After reading a few of these replies I think I might throw her clothes in the washing machine when I do a black wash, just in case.

13. I washed most of my doll clothes before selling them recently, because my dolls had sat wearing them for about a year. I put them all in a pillowcase and secure the open end of the pillowcase, and do a half hour gentle wash on 30 degrees or lower. Either that or hand wash them. Then I tumble dried them in the pillowcase on low heat. BUT then I had to iron them :horror: And since they were mainly cotton, and frilly, and of course small and detailed - and I never iron ANYTHING usually, that was a bit of a nightmare!

Glad I haven't had to bathe a doll yet as that would involve my other nightmare - restringing! :nosebleed

14. When and if they need washing. ;) Some of my dolls don't get handled as much, so they have never needed a bath. I'll go through and dust, maybe a quick wipe down with a damp cloth if I'm changing them, but not actual full-blown washing unless they really need it.

When I do wash their clothes, it's by hand and I set them to air-dry afterward.

15. Ha ha ha I don't do ironing either, I try hard not to get creased clothes when washing them, but I fear I may have to iron my doll's clothes. Have to tempt the spiders out of the iron.
      I like your idea of putting them all in a pillowcase, only problem is I don't have any black pillowcases. I'll put them inside socks. I was thinking of doing them at 40 degrees along with my other blacks.
      Restringing Ugh !! I don't even want to entertain the thought, I've only just had her and her little face isn't back from the artist yet so I hope, hope it's ages and ages before I have to broach that one.

16. As a general rule, I don't clean my bjd's unless they have become dirty or stained - which is rare because I generally don't have much time to play with them, and I try to be careful when I do.

Sometimes, when I get my dolls secondhand, and they are dusty, sticky, or stained, I make it a part of my ritual to wash the doll with a bit of dish soap. I also use magic eraser on any stains the doll might have. Rarely will I coat the body with MSC for stain protection.

As for clothing, I usually don't wash it unless it has been stained or there is a particular smell that I dislike upon their arrival. I have used bleach for clothing when I want to modify or tone down a color.

17. I'm terrible, at best they might get me blowing the dust off em but usually... yeaaaah.

Unless they have marks, they they'll get a wipe down with a wipe or a magic eraser but otherwise, i'm way too lazy to dust let alone bathe dolls and wash clothes.

18. I took Vince apart and washed him and restrung him exactly once, which... I don't even think I did for the other two. Aside from that, I just give them a little spot-clean with a damp cloth or magic eraser if there's a need, like I'm wiping and redoing a faceup or something is on them somehow. Which is not often.

With clothes I make, I prewash the fabric. Pete's clothes are almost all white, so I haven't washed any of them because no dye needed removing and they've never gotten spilled on or anything like that. A couple of Vince's things I ran through the wash because they had gotten in with some things and needed cleaning, and they were honestly about as sturdy as anything else in that light load. But it's definitely an as-needed basis for me.

19. I'm wondering if washing a newly bought clothes before wear will help to reduce body staining? I heard dark color clothes may stain the body if worn for a long time...any idea?

20. That's the very reason I put mine in the washing machine today. I was looking at my doll's body the other day thinking 'where has all that dirt come from'. It's possibly from my hands when I've been trying to wire her legs but I remembered I'd read somewhere that they can get stained from clothing. All her clothes are black so I put them in with some woollens today on a 30 deg wash and they've come out perfect, no ironing necessary. I'm erring on the cautious side.