1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you change your dolls faceup?

Oct 5, 2016

1. If I love the results of face-up, I will keep it for about 1-2 years. If I don't like it, I will change it from half year to 1 year.

2. My one and only redone faceup was because my friend and faceup artist improved her skill and requested to redo the faceup with her new techniques and style! She has also asked the same of the other head she painted for me, though I may want to hold onto her a little longer because I still think the faceup is gorgeous :3nodding: Most of my dolls have company faceups though, and I want to preserve those as long as possible.

I have actually considered replacing my first doll with a whole new doll exactly how he was. He's unevenly yellowed due to my not taking the best care for him right away, and his company faceup has minor damage. That would be a big financial loss though, swapping him for a new doll, and I want to finish my crew before springing for a replacement full doll.

3. I usually change my face-ups when my style or desired look for the doll/character evolves.

4. All of my dolls have the face-up they came with. I won't get their face-ups redone until it starts to peel away. A well-done face-up can last years. Ironically it's the sealant that is used to help preserve the face-up (and protect the resin underneath) that will eventually peel it away. Printed face-ups such as the ones that come as standard with Dollfie Dreams can last longer so long as you don't roughly scrap the face-up with your nails or a sharp object. I have many toy dolls form the 80's that have their original face-ups completely intact and again no sealant was ever used. I don't do face-ups myself so when my resin girls need fresh "make-up" they will need to be sent away to a face-up artist.

5. So far I've changed my girl's faceup 3 times this year. But if my collections expands, or when I get better and am satisfied with my results, I probably won't want to repaint them as often. I think 2 or 3 faceups a year is my limit, even if I end up with 10 dolls. :sweat

6. Face-ups stay as long as I'm happy with them :). That means that some dolls I've painted are still on their first face-up (and have had it for years now), whereas a few others are on their second or third.

I find it difficult to wipe face-ups done by other people on some of my second-hand dolls, even when they don't suit my characters very well! This is rather silly since - well, I have a doll that failed to excite me, even though it is a very nice doll, until I had wiped and repainted the face-up, at which point he suddenly was mine and I now find him completely adorable. My second-hand Zaoll Luv could really do with a new face-up, as the Dollmore one she has is now 8 years old and a bit faded; I know I can make her look more lively. But then I look at the old face-up and think, "there's no way I can paint her eyelashes and the lines on her lips as finely as this - how can I wipe this face?!" Besides, despite being 8 years old it's really not at all damaged.

I'm going to have to do it, don't I? Same with my darling Zihu no. 1, who has a custom face-up from her previous owner that looks too mature and make-up-y for her character. But it's pretty! I mean, I went so far as to buy a second Zihu with a damaged face-up so I could create that character without having to wipe my first Zihu's face. (Okay, I adore Zihu so it wasn't a wrench, exactly, but ... ya know.)

7. My DD girl has her original paint up (she is a DD1) and I want to change her face up. I am a qualified artist, but I am worried it will decrease her value. I am so torn because I would like to practice face ups so I could earn side money and I am not happy with her face up. I am so unsure (FYI. I only have one doll said far)

8. I do my own faceups, and I usually keep them for a month or two (I'm busy with school a lot, and it's no fun having a head sit around waiting to be wiped). Though recently I did a faceup that I didn't like and I just wiped it and started a new one today. The face up I didn't like lasted about a week before I just got tired of looking at it!

I'm sure if I like this new faceup it'll last a while, but generally I try to change faceups every 2 months or so for practice~! (I should get a practice head, but I know if I do I'll get it a body and it'll just end up becoming a doll lolol)

9. Oh gosh, Cicero has been through at least 7 faceups since he got here. My painting skills do not do his face sculpt any justice whatsoever. What's even worse is that he's starting to stain so I need to stop redoing him so often...

Dhalsim has only been through about 2 faceups but I think that's only because I chose a more minimalistic approach to painting him.

EDIT: I feel I should add a disclaimer/justification so that nobody thinks I'm a bad doll mom... Cicero & Dhalsim were two of my earliest forays into the BJD hobby. I admit that I made a lot of mistakes with them and I hope & pray that my future dolls will get better treatment, in terms of both faceups and general care.

(It certainly helps that my two latest dolls, a 48 cm Obitsu girl and an off-topic MIO Isul, are not strung with elastic. Me and elastic apparently do not get along well...)

I hope that I don't come across as defensive in this post; I'm just feeling very guilty for the way that I treated my older dolls...

#29 NarwhalGirl, Oct 27, 2016
      Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    10. I usually wait a few months or at least a year until I change their faceup unless I really don't like it.

11. If I don't like the face on a second hand doll I'll change it. Usually though if I have commissioned a face up I don't want to change it.

12. If it's an official faceup, or a commissioned faceup, then I won't wipe it until the faceup is damaged or totally fading off. My first boy who came with default faceup still has his, and it has been 7 years!! For faceups that I did myself, I don't have a specific timing, but I'll redo it when I don't like the faceup I did before, the faceup starts fading, when I have a new look for the doll, or when my faceup skills get a little better then I will "upgrade" the older faceups. :)

13. I usually have a particular 'look' in my head for each of my dolls when I order them. If the faceup that I commission matches it, then that's it - I will never wipe it unless it becomes damaged. But if the faceup artist didn't capture what I envisioned, I'll change it as often as necessary until the doll matches the character that I was going for.

14. I always have trouble wiping factory faceups... On the other hand if it's a faceup I've done, I tend to change it rather frequently.

15. When the are damaged or faded ^_^ I cannot bear to look at my doll's face if I see a chipped face up o.O I don't know why but it bothers me so much.

16. I've redone a faceup thrice (maybe 4 times) on one of my dolls since I was a bit unsure about how it turned out - it just didn't seem like what I wanted it to be.

But then I have another older doll that has the same face since Day 1 and it has chipped pretty badly but I am still hesitant to redo it cos' I'm afraid it won't look the same anymore T T

17. How about... never? :)

I've been collecting for 11 years, have to be completely honest and say I have no interest whatsoever in attempting my own face-ups, and have dolls dating back to 2005 with their original, company face-ups that still look completely fine.

(If a 'favourite' got damaged, while I'd send it off to an artist to be redone, I'd have it redone exactly as it was!)

My dolls aren't necessarily characters of any description, I generally like company face-ups, and by the time something went wrong with their face-up I'd have become incredibly used to it, so...

For me? Same old, same old!

18. I will change the face-up if I'm unhappy with the look of the doll. I've done face-ups on a couple of dolls that I just wasn't happy with, so I wiped them to re-do them. Another doll, that came with a face-up, I was going to sell and then decided to try re-doing her face-up. After wiping her face, I see that she has a beautiful sculpt and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with a new face for her. If I'm happy with a face-up on a doll, I won't ever change it.

19. I don't really like to do faceups now as I do not have the time like I used to..
      I have the tools but I have no time..
      If I have the time, I'll redo some of my kids' faceup as I'm not quite satisfied with what I did last time.
      And yeah.. It took me more than a year to finally redo my boy's faceup due to chipping (thanks to my other doll who's joint kicked and hit his face...-_-), oh no wait... I sent him out for a faceup..
      Oh well.. WHEN I HAVE THE TIME!! I WILL. :sigh

20. To be honest, I try to get the best faceup possibe and then I do my best so it does not get damaged lol. So short response: I try not to change it.