1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you change your dolls faceup?

Oct 5, 2016

1. If it suits the character and doesn't becomes damaged, I will leave it forever! I absolutely do not touch my dolls' faces, and I've never had faceup damage so bad due to an accident that the head required a redo. The oldest faceup on any of my dolls is 4ish years old, and it's fine. In general I prefer faceups done by professionals, but I'm not willing to mail my dolls off to anyone, so unless the doll came with the faceup, it's getting one of mine. If that means redoing it a few times to hit the mark, fine. After that, why mess with a good thing?

2. I always redo it when I am confident enough that my skills have improved to the level that it will be better than before no matter what.

3. I redo faces every time I go away from the hobby and come back. By then I've usually picked up a new trick or two plus some new materials that I want to try out, and it's fun to see how I've improved.

4. Never
      I really love the default face-ups of all my dolls and dread the day that they chip/get damaged in some way that I have no choice but to have them re-done :shudder

When it inevitably does happen I think I'll just go and use the Satogaeri service that VOLKS offers at Tenshi no Sato. I remember reading that back in the day they would re-do the original face-up for your doll if it got damaged (for a fee of course) although you could not request any adjustments. I hope that this service is still a thing but as I have not been in this situation yet I am unsure.

5. Very rarely or I may just add a little to one but but if its one from a company then thats a no for me.

6. If it suits the character and doesn't becomes damaged, I will leave it forever! Literally! I don’t like re-inventing the wheel. That being said however, if I were to change a character I wouldn’t hesitate to change the face-up in a heartbeat. That’s the beauty of these dolls.:)

7. I will usually keep a faceup for a long time, but if I don't like it enough, I will definitely opt to change it once in a while. However, on secondhand dolls I do like keeping the original faceup!

8. Every few years, at least for the dolls that are really important to me. After a while I look at them and think "I could do better" or "this doesn't suit this character as well as it could" and start over. Sometimes I can just add to it and not do the whole thing over.

Damage will dictate the time frame also, but I haven't had damage in a while.

I did have a problem with one head and had to redo it when I wasn't ready - He has glued-on hair instead of a wig, and I wanted to redo the hairstyle. On his other two heads the hair came off without doing any damage to the faceup, but of course on the third (and most important) head it did do some damage. No big deal, I can repair damage. But I spilled rubbing alcohol on him while doing it and could not get the residue off. Then - and this is the worst thing ever. EVER - I went out to spray the head and and when it was dry I picked up the box to bring it back to my table AND A SPIDER CRAWLED OUT OF HIS EYE.

Needless to say I had to wipe the whole thing to do some serious disinfecting (I hate spiders more than anything).

So that happened. I didn't want to redo that faceup but life was against me.

9. average 2 to 4 years, too many dolls now and I don't do make up for my dolls so I need to send them to my friends, I only send 3 to 5 dolls for make up per year

10. I could say that I'm changing face-up quite often... I have too many ideas and not enough dolls:p

I think that being face-up artist helps little bit with those all ideas and urgent to paint.

11. Every couple of months, usually to try out a new technique or see if I improved. In fact, I am thinking of wiping everyone tomorrow.

Well, everyone except my tiny. She's a) dyed, and I am a bit worried about what wiping will do b) has a fairly simple faceup and c) she has glued on bits and I am too lazy to redo those so often.

12. The only time I change any of my Crew's faceup is if it somehow gets messed up, or they didn't come with the faceup they were supposed to have. Once they have the faceup I imagined for them (or an even better one than I imagined!), they pretty much have that faceup forever.

My Goth boy, Manfred is supposed to be more Gothy-looking than he is currently. I got his faceup for free.

[​IMG]
      100_3580_zps4bdd7272
      by Ryuichi Sakuma, on Flickr

I want his faceup to be darker, more Goth than it currently is.

I do also have a couple that I did faceups on, that I'd love to get a faceup artist to redo in a much better style. My faceups were only supposed to be temporary to show the future artist the style I wanted, not as long-lasting as they have been. I'm just not a faceup artist, in any way, shape or form. :sweat

I'm sure that I have other dolls that I would change faceups on, but Manfred is the most glaring example currently.

Besides, once they look like I want, their faceup is pretty much finished.

Ryu

13. Only when my doll needs a new faceups. I usually would send it back to the factory. However, I would send it to an individual artist if the factory faceup turned out to be something I didn't like, which is rare :XD::XD:

14. I just changed my Altis' faceup recently! After only a few months too. I was so scared about removing it and was all worried it wouldn't make him himself anymore, but honestly, I love his new look. I now like to think of new faceups as the dolls "growing up" and getting more mature, they get to change with my art style.

15. Never - because I usually buy dolls that already have faceups that I like, and I would probably send blank dolls off to an artist. The only exceptions right now are my DD, who has a simple faceup I did myself, and my zuzu delf that I'm planning to blush at some point.

If I did my own faceups more often it might be a different story, but I just don't really feel the need to change them - if I'm unhappy with their look I'd change the wig/eyes/clothes instead.

16. I've done most of my own face-ups since I started in the hobby. With my first dolls, I changed them after a few months because I improved quite a bit with each new face. Now, I only change them if they get damaged, or I feel I've improved enough that it would be an upgrade.

17. I've bought some girls that have a few years on them, as is a thing, when you are looking for rare LE Volks girls. My grail sisters had aged poorly in thier original photos when I first got them. I loved them dearly, but when pictures don't come out well and even the dolls themselves look tired, its time for a new face up. I have no artistic skill, so I try to find artist's I can trust to really give my girls the boost they needed. I've had some luck with the few artists I've commissioned.

18. Every 3-4 years, I think. Even if I handle them with care, I feel like the details start to fade after some time, so I feel the need to refresh them, the only exception being limited dolls.

19. Turns out, once I'm satisfied with them, I don't.
      My oldest girl turns 8 soon and even though her faceup is damaged (and was the first I ever did) I haven't changed it ... but I am planning to get a second one of her sculpt and mod her old yellowed head as sleeping face, necessitating a complete makeover (because she needs a body upgrade and the old head will need a massive amount of colour matching anyway). I've been pushing this off since forever.

20. I have one doll with a factory face up and I have never changed it, but I have changed one of the face ups I've done about 3 times slowly getting better every time :)