1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you change your dolls faceup?

Oct 5, 2016

1. depends. I seal my faceups with liquitex and another liquid varnish. On dolls that I don't touch, they age perfectly and can stay for as long as needed. On the one doll that I play with a lot though, it can rub off after a few months to a few weeks, so I have to redo it every so often. I don't mind too much, it's a chance to practice my skills, but it can still be a little annoying when I was really happy with something

2. I only change the faceup once. I get to where im in love with it then thats it.

3. When I realize I got better, I change it. I wanted to change some now but I ran out of sealant

4. I haven’t ever redone them yet. I like to keep the company face ups, because I know that I can’t do the eyebrows or eyelashes as delicately as the experts do. I’ve done a faceup once on my first BJD, and while it looks ok (no blocky sharpie brows or spider lashes thankfully, lol), it was just a stressful experience. After that, I decided that I’d rather fork out the money and have a professional faceup artist do it.

5. I have dolls with their company face-ups as old as from 2007 (my Volks F-16). Being horrific at any doll customization myself coupled with my nostalgia for their original packaging, if you will, leads to my preference of never changing their face-ups, but almost half of my dolls have had their face-ups redone to suit my ideas for them. I aim to change them depending on how badly they need refreshing, but once I'm satisfied, I'll be doing my best to maintain them for...ever!!!

Having almost 20 in the collection is also a huge factor, as it's a lot to fuss over especially if I never do their face-ups myself. Another one is how a chunk of my collection is made up of discontinued sculpts--I can't possibly lose my heads shipping them someplace else if they never go someplace, right?!

6. I have heard from somewhere else that it is recommended to change doll faceup one a year (I am not sure if that is the best way though). It is because the faceup may stain on the head and could be difficult to get rid of if it has been kept for too long. On the other hand, if the faceup is changed too often, the doll head may get damaged because after all a lot of chemicals are involved in the process of removing and doing the faceups.

7. I adore one of my dolls makeup and I think it was the reason I bought her actually and I have never changed her makeup or even think abıut changind it BUT I add aome little changes to my other dolls makeup like some more blush or a tattoo etc. :3

8. I've never heard of changing your doll's faceup once a year, nor of faceups staining resin, and I've been in this hobby for a long time. Hunh, interesting. *shrug* I wonder how that thinking came about. :?

The two oldest in my Crew that's had the same faceup are both 2007 Luts/CP Minifee Elf Shiwoo Happy Hour version (sleeping and open eyed heads). They both came with factory faceups, and I've never changed them, nor do I have any plans to do so.

I gently wash them with plain water whenever I feel they look dusty, and that's about it. I'm not about to try and remove their faceups to see if they've stained the resin either. I'm not sure that those faceups could be properly replicated.

Ryu