1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you play with your dolls?

Jan 18, 2021

1. I'm working my way up to expanding their wardrobes. The vast majority of their clothes are made by me. I don't have many props (chairs/toys/miniature accessories) for them. However, my crafting table is directly behind the couch. The couch faces the tv, so I will pose them looking "shocked" when I watch a horror movie. Otherwise, I'll place them next to me when I'm using my laptop, or have them close by if I spend the majority of my recent time in another room. I have their hands and arms up if they're "helping" me hold something up real quick.

Once their wardrobes expand I want to do dress up mix/match sessions with them, like I see people do in youtube videos lol

2. I would say I comfortably pick up and interact with my doll at least once a week. I'm probably managing to change an outfit once a month. The less frequent play is the craft sessions where I make a thing for him. I tend to be very whimsical when it comes to crafting a thing.

3. I play with my dolls in a lot of different ways. The way I play with them most is through roleplay, but I play online so really it's more about me typing out a story about my dolls with my sister and her dolls, so I'm not sure if that counts since I'm not physically playing with the dolls. I do this almost nightly.

As for handling the dolls, I guess my way of playing with them would be changing clothes, posing them, taking pictures and I do that maybe once or twice a week. Another way to play is to take them to meets, where we pose them together, talk about their characters and stories and take pictures. I used to do this monthly, though with Covid and quarantine and lock downs and all that going on, we haven't been able to have a meet in almost a year now.

I also kind of feel like working on them (faceups, restringing, leaning, etc) is a form of playing because I enjoy it and it is a form of bonding as I get the doll to match the character I envision.

4. I play with my dolls almost daily! I am currently working from home so I usually bring at least two into my home office with me and fiddle with them throughout the day. I also will have one in my lap when watching movies, shows, or sometimes even when playing video games. I bring one or two over to my bf's place when I go see him even.
      I actually get two "types" of outfits/wigs for my dolls. I have the "stand there and look pretty" outfits/wigs and my "play with me" outfits/wigs. Both serve a purpose, especially when it comes to taking photos of my dolls.

I play by posing, dressing, just messing with their joints, photographing, and holding. I also think about their character and backstory.

In my opinion, while bjds are beautiful works of art, dolls were created to be played with so I play!

Edit: additional info

5. I definitely am still in that mindset where I spent so much money on my Soom Euclase, Daville, that I'm scared of moving him at all. He's been sitting on my desk with my S/O's dolls, Niles and Rhys. (I can't remember their sculpts.) But I did finally get comfortable enough to finally cut his wig, and I took him out to take pictures with my resident boss lady, Moo.
      As for the other dolls I have, my S/O and I have had like three spa days to wash our Rainbow High, Failfix, and OMG Doll hair, and as soon as I bought my Rainbow Kate Kindi Kid, I sat in the living room and just //hugged her//. It was so nice and cathartic.
      I should pick up DaVille and hold him in my lap just to hold him sometime. ;o; I'm sure he might appreciate it a lil bit.

6. Every day, usually multiple times a day.

7. Depends on my work schedule. Since the pandemic started my working hours have skyrocketed *_*.

I think it's about once per week on average.

8. I playing with my one month old Vovka all the time. My two boys sitting on my sofa's back, so they are always here with me, even if I not touch them.

9. I go through phases. I will go months barely touching my dolls to almost feverishly making them things, changing their clothes, fixing or changing their wigs and sometimes their eyes. Though to be honest a lot of the times I'm not messing with them gets spent planning, daydreaming about them, looking at patterns/tutorials for things I'd like to make them etc, so even then they are often still a focus.

10. Usually multiple times a day, but since I’m currently moving I’ve had to put them away for now. :atremblin

11. I go through phases too, although I really do prefer to keep Hyacinth where I can see her -- something about her face tends to calm me down when I'm freaking out. I'm most likely ADD: when I focus on my interest-of-the-month, I tend to hyperfixate on it. For a while back in May? That was making my momonita some fantasy clothes. For a while in September? Mara got her first (read: only) outfit. And now I'm not really focused on any of them.

Even when I'm not focused on my dolls, though, I still like handling them. My momonita in particular is so small and easy to pose that I sometimes bring her places and sit her next to me just for the fun of it. I'd like to get more Atelier Momoni pitusa dolls just for that reason, but I just haven't had the funds. Some day!

12. I have to admit that for now I haven't really played with any of my dolls :sweat
      Mostly because they're still WIP and none of them if fully finished yet... But I definitely need to finish painting them, find some clothes and make some photoshoots :love

13. I play with them every day! For me that could be making clothes for them, dressing them, sometimes I sit them by me when I work as company or for inspiration as I am an illustrator. Sometimes I like to watch films or TV with them by me so I can get ideas for how I want to dress them or style them. I kind of rotate who I interact with: the easiest for me is my MNF Shiwoo as he is so light he can easily sit by me but I also like having my bigger dolls like my Iplehouse Luo with me... I love them all.

14. I tend to play with them every day but the play sessions vary wildly. Some days it's just 5 minutes fussing over them and other days it's hours on end posing, playing and more fussing. I'm at the happy stage in the hobby where I worry less about their value than about them getting mad at me for not spending time with them enough. Yes, I know they're just resin. It's just fun to imagine their characters.

My son (3 years old) loves to play together with me and he can play with my tiniest to my largest dollies just fine. He loves to help me dress them and pose them and advises me on which character should get which outfit and so on. He also just loves to hold them and stare at them for prolonged times which would probably creep the dollies out if they were actually alive. :XD:

15. Pretty much never, lol! They’re always safe in the LED-lit display case that I keep right next to my desk, so I can admire them as I work. :3nodding:

If I handle them, I use gloves, because I don’t want any of the oils on my skin to damage the resin. I have sweaty palms! I have never ever taken my dolls outside either, because I’m too worried about UV damage.

Another part of the reason that I rarely handle them, is because it’s a pain in the butt to get their hair, clothing, and poses to look right! So maybe I’m just lazy. :XD:

16. Nearly every day. Though often I'm just fiddling with one while watching a TV show. The blank ones or those I've face-upped myself tend to get handled more since I worry about damaging company face-ups. My skills are minimal to amateur at this point.

17. I hadn't played with mine for like five years, but I got back into the hobby in December and I play with them a couple times a week. Especially if I'm sewing for them. I like to get pictures immediately after I finish a new piece.

It's really soothing to dress them up and take photos. It actually gives me so much joy and peace, so it's best for my mental health if I do play with them more.

18. You and me both! In my case my Doll Interest tends to cycle between my fashion dolls and my BJDs - the BJDs are so much harder but the work is so worth it!

You've noticed that too?
      I'm kind of an awful homebody, so going out to take pics of my odlls is one of the main things that gets me out of the house lol.

19. Too rarely tbh and I'm ashamed. My mental state wasn't in the best condition lately but now it seems better. Hopefully going to change the situation as I'm really inspired now and crave to finally start making doll clothes and stuff again.

20. Before family, all the time
      After marriage, half of the time
      After kids, the day when the doll arrived