1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do your dolls turn out differently from what you had planned?

Mar 2, 2007

1. Once. My first doll came with a faceup and I only had one set of clothing and in the end...I got so used to his image, that I couldn't change him into what he was supposed to be;p

2. My biggest surprise recently arrived. I figured another big, boyish-but-manly fellow, just like the rest of his sculpt I've seen - why is he going to be a tomboy girl? Still haven't settled on anything else - body mods, backstory (fantasy or rooted in reality hormone/genetics). Guess I'll see what comes out (or on or off) after I redo the face-up.

3. I had this huge plan for my first doll, Jay, detailing his personality, his looks, and his temperment... Then he arrived, and it turned out he was completely the opposite. So all that pre-planning was scrapped.

My second doll, Lucien, didn't change at all - which was actually a problem for me, since I had trouble bonding. He ended up getting sold.

My third doll, Wren, started as just a head, and once I was done with his face-up, I figured that even if he didn't have a body or wig, his personality was pretty much set. ...Of course, then his body arrived, and I tried a wig on him, and just like with my first, he changed completely. :sweat

Now I have a random floating Gomidoll Igon-SS head, Sebastian, and since he has yet to acquire a face-up, body or wig, he has very little personality. I can't help myself from making tentative plans, but I know he'll end up changing those once he's complete. :roll:

4. It usually happens for me as I am working on the face up. I will have a certian idea in mind for a character I want to but the head sculpt talks to me and I end up doing something totally different. Goldie was supposed to be an eunginue but turned out to be a sophisticated vamp. Go fig!

5. When Lenore came I planend for her to be very lady like. ^^; WELL she is BUT she is also very much eccentric and off the wall. X-X

6. Nah, I have a huge story in my mind and I know the exact dolls I want for the story...

I don't invent character once I get a doll, I get a doll that fits the character I already have in mind, and I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to a rewrite of story.

There are plenty of dolls that I'd like to buy but they don't fit any of the characters that I have so I won't buy them.

7. every doll i had, it's horrible, i want them to be what i expect them to be, but i suppose i'm weaker than my dolls and there are more dolls than i can handle xD

8. So far, only one out of four has been reluctant to go with the flow.
      I bought a Lati K to be a Seiji Sawamura, and he just refused to be grumpy.
      He was solidly drifty and happy. And that just doesn't fit in my world. ;)

My IH Soo Ri fell into the role of Ichigo Kurosaki perfectly. :)
      UD Jace has only been here a little while, but he's coming along nicely as Abarai Renji.
      My BF Kyle didn't have a set personality ahead of time. I got him and allowed him to be whomever he wanted to be. Before I got the Soo Ri, the Kyle was going to be my Ichigo. So, since he got "passed up" so to speak, I made it up to him by letting him be who he is. ;)

9. More often than I expected. Usually, I'll have an outline of their personality in my head but once they arrive, they always change a little bit.

So nowadays, I do very little planning and just see how it goes.

10. That was me. Then I realized no doll out there could match my imagination. So I am going to buy the doll for the doll's beauty now.

Markus is supposed to be a classic anti-social personality. He's a loner with a 3-piece suit and Italian loafer fetish, vandalizer, gang leader and all around angry, young and lost. Instead when I got him as Elfdoll Wu he turned out completely different.

It turns out that the gang leader/angry/young/lost thing was when he was younger but after several years in a state penitentiary and now out on probation he's gotten his act together. These days in his Elfdoll Wu resin form he's a mellow fellow, being a part-time mechanic, part-time youth counselor (and most of the time cheerfully, albeit terminally hung over) bicycle riding, Theravadan Buddhist monk with a carefree outlook on life. He's also searching for his 11 year old kid but in a less destructive manner than before.

I've given up. After this experience with Markus I'm just buying what I really want instead of trying to buy what my characters look like. I desperately want Hugo-MN and white skin SA Saint. Do I have a personality or name for them? Nope. I don't care. I simply want them. Everything I put down are going to be place holders now.

11. Well, originally, Jay was to be cute, innocent and just totally exploitable. Uh. Yeah. Not so much. He topples over if I don't watch him, or if I wander off. I mean, he's cute and innocent in violet eyes and evil/devious looking in green. He looks better in the green eyes. Even with his pink tipped white wig, he's still looking like he's bout to do something bad. ;_;

12. My first doll Sidney was supposed to be pretty hardcore butch looking. :B Boy clothes, short hair, etc. Obviously it didn't work out too well. She wears a waist length default girly wig and I stick her in tight chick clothes.

Oddly, my DD2 hybrid was supposed to be super cute/girly, and she's turned out pretty punkish looking. Ah well, it's a good thing I loosely plan personalities for them when buying.

13. My dolls and I "struggle" daily to come to an agreement on who they should be ^^;;

14. My Moira was supposed to be a physical representation of one of my RP characters Osma who is the childlike Vampire Goddess of Insanity and Chaos. The minute I pulled her out of the box I realized even though she looks like I wanted Oz to look, she isn't Oz at all.

I'm okay with it though, since she's my first doll I actually like the idea of getting to know her for her instead of already having a personality picked out. Plus, this way I can make cosplay costumes for her with out feeling like I'm doing something out of the dolls personality.

15. Only 1 out of my 5 dolls have turned out to have the personality i had in mind for him. My dolls seem to choose their own personalities...sigh. But i love them no matter what, so it doesn't bother me that much <3

16. I had more of a traditional elf character in mind for Dalamar (my Juri 06) but he was soon demanding black leather things and proving to be totally different to what I had planned ~ so now he is a Goth/Heavy Metal/Rock character who is very mischievous and loves using magic - including dark magic - he has a dark side but also a sweet side - he is very complicated :sweat

17. Only Keiya, my SA Hound, turned out who I envisioned him to be, but he's still got his own quirks that were completely unplanned for. :sweat Sil&#228;ewyn turned out completely different than what I imagined him to be. xD Instead of being uke-ish and scared, he's gone the complete opposite xD. Shinta's deviated completely from the personality I planned for him when I first got him. xD; Oh, he's still cute, innocent and sweet-loving, but now he has a hyperactive streak and tends to be extremely discombabulated at times.

18. I think in essense they are the same but they aren't exactly the same as you imagine in your mind, somethings are a little different because they are more real and seem to have their own opinions on certain stuff lol

19. Okay, I'm pretty sure Miles was a bit different than I imagined, but I don't quite remember anymore. :sweat But I do remember Zane since it is still recent. First, I had made one personality becased on the first doll I had decided on, but at the last minute I changed doll molds and so that changed things. Based on what I had seen of his mold, I thought he was going to be one way, but when he came here, he was totally different than what I expected. It kinda threw me off for a bit. But now I love him. XD He's way different from how he was first pictured, but it just worked out anyway. :)

20. Mine are a little different... But that's because things have happened to them since they got here. ^w^;