1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do your dolls turn out differently from what you had planned?

Mar 2, 2007

1. I was just thinking about this today.

My Miyu was supposed to be named Clarise and have brown hair, so she could be a sweet little girl in frilly dresses. Now she's Freya, seems to like black hair better, prefers simpler, elegant clothing I have no idea how to make, and her expression says in no uncertain terms that she's a goddess and I had better bow down.

Not quite what I planned. :P Working with them a while seems like the best way to figure out their look and such.

2. My first doll pretty much turned out exactly how I planned. I was nervous he wasn't going to at first, but as time went on he started showing how I predicted him to be. He also developed traits of his own.

My second doll I was expecting the personality I planned for him, but when he arrived he had almost the complete opposite. He ended up being a lot more mature and nonchalant than the lively childish personality I had planned for him.

3. Leto was supposed to be called "Shantay", wear medieval, elfin and romantic outfits. The name didn't stick from the beginning, and he turned out to be rather punky and more the Huckleberry Finn style of romantic. He hates being dressed up as an elf.

4. I really think that one of the most interesting about BJD is that they have her own personalities and they usually come with their own kind of name, behavior and style... Sometimes the personality and story that you imagined for your doll can match with her... but, it's just a coincidence! in fact she/he already was like you imagined and not because you imagined ;)

5. This is a fantastic thread! I had just thought of this subject this morning.

I've noticed that when Kalix was just a floating head I planned out that instead of him being all romantic with Aeryn he would be a complete jerk. He'd pick on her, call her names, etc. But ever since I got his body I've changed him completely! Not his background story or any sort, but the way he was 'supposed' to treat Aeryn. Now I'm taking romantic photoshoots!

6. Since I don't have set characters in mind, my dolls pretty much just evolve after they get here. But sometimes even with that there are surprizes. I found out that my retired goddess Rowena was a real tramp, loving to toy with the boys & indulge in all sorts of earthly pleasures. And here I thought she was just happy to relax in her retirement. I've also been informed that both Maia Lunet & Naomh are witches & used their skills to retain their youthful beauty so now I have no idea how old they actually are. If this keeps up I have no idea how I'll ever keep up with their evolutions.

7. Actually it never happens) When I discovered something new about my dolls it was so in character, but most of their qualities were planned when choosing base, posing, dressing etc.) I do not know how that happens - maybe I'm consistent, strong-willed owner?

8. I think it must happen a lot and certainly will happen again for me... I wanted to make my BJDs the representation of my OC.... but with Meredith, the personality I first made him just didnt fit!
      He is still trying to tell me how he is...

That is why I am trying not to premake their personality anymore. I'm buying a MNF Shiwoo and a Crobidoll Yeon-Ho, and I do not know how they will be. They will tell me when they get here ;3

9. I only have one doll at the moment and I went in completely blind. EVERY feeling I've had about dolls has completely changed. I used to believe in getting the doll and then getting to know it but now I have to have a character for the doll. I had no idea what she was going to be like, I suppose in a sense she doesn't 'speak' to me, although she has a quiet personality anyway but it was such a struggle and I went through many problems and bonding issues. I've found a name for her now and I love her to pieces but since I had absolutely nothing in mind for her it felt... feels... like she doesn't/didn't have a soul but I'm pretty sure that will change when I add to the family.

At first a doll did speak to me, not long after I'd ordered. I could hear her really clearly. Then it just stopped and there's been nothing ever since (I think they got mixed up in the factory :roll:) The only times she speaks to me now is when I'm writing her backstory and she goes 'pfft, well that didn't happen'. If any of my future dolls that I have characters for completely switch on me I think I'm going to go mad :doh

10. :sweat Yup, it's happened to me, too. At first Analise was going to be Kin, a punky, badmouthed tomboy with a chip on her shoulder.
      Nope. Not happening.
      Now she's a sweet, mute little girl who loves wearing frilly dresses. Who also happens to be a demigoddess and a few hundred years old. What the heck happened?! Lol.
      I'm okay with it though, and Lyra is exactly as I planned her. I have a cast of characters who I'm trying to "resinize", but I'm a little worried that they may wind up completely different... ^^