1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How old were you when you got into the doll hobby?

Jul 23, 2018

1. I was 20 when I first saw BJD online, 33 when I thought of getting my own. I am now 35 and hope to get my first BJD in 2021!

2. Probably in my late teens when I first looked at all the shinies online. 30 when I physically bought a doll for my collection.

3. I was 17 when I started in the BJD hobby in 2005 and I got my first doll the following year after saving everything I could!

4. 32.

I was late to the party but hot damn bjds are cool and unique and really interesting to learn about. It's kind of nice getting into something new now. I haven't found anything new to obsess over in yonks.

5. I was 55 when someone at a local doll club gave a talk about BJDs. I joined DoA that very day and never looked back! I just instinctively knew they were the perfect hobby for my creative instincts. This was in 2006, and I’ve never regretted a single day since (nor have I gone a single day without being on Den of Angels.) When it says beneath my avatar “vintage flower child” it’s not just talking about the doll, folks!:)

6. I was in my teens when I first saw one, 30 when I bought one.

7. I first found BJDs when I was in the later years middle school. I had Pullips, and I just happened to stumble upon BJDs. I waited several years until I had enough money to buy my first doll. I am glad I waited that long because I got to lots of research in that time. I got my first doll five years ago.

8. I first discovered BJDs when I was 14, and playing gaiaonline way back in the day. :XD: Someone had posted a picture of a scene-styled Minifee to the forum there, and all everyone could talk about was how expensive and difficult they were to buy. And being a 14-year-old with very little spending money, I put it away in the back of my mind, believing that I’d never be able to buy a BJD.

Then, when I was 19, my mom, who knew I still wanted a BJD, offered to help pay for one as a Christmas gift. And so I got a Luts KDF Ani as my first doll. It’s been almost 10 years since then, and I’m just as into the hobby as I was back then.

9. I think I was around 23-24 when I first discovered BJDs? I'd just graduated from university and got my first job, which was probably a good thing as I was earning money and could indulge in getting my first doll that I got second hand.

10. I think I got into dolls in general around when I was 10, maybe 11? I'd always had dolls before then and liked them, but I never got serious about collecting and customizing them until my early tweens. I started off with fashion dolls like Monster Highs and Ever After Highs, and eventually found Azones, Pullips, etc, which was sort of my segway into discovering BJD. I was really into sewing for dolls and I also dabbled in prop making, though I was really bad at most everything custom-related.

I think I was still in elementary when I saw a BJD for the first time, and I was totally enamoured with how much more beautiful they were to me, than other dolls I had known before. That must have been when I was maybe 13 or 14.
      I followed the hobby mostly in spirit, "window shopping" doll after doll, looking for the one doll I would invest my money in (or so my jobless teen self thought).

It wasn't until last year that I actually saved enough money to buy a doll, and by then I had decided to shell an existing character, so the kinds of sculpts I was looking for were different. I just received that very doll a couple months ago! For context, I'll now be 19 in just two week's time, so it was a very long time between my discovery of BJD and the moment I actually got to own one.

I've liked dolls for just about half the time I've been alive, and I definitely don't see myself dropping the hobby anytime soon.

11. I think it was 26, 10 years ago )))
      When your salary gives you a chance to begin buying dolls))

12. I first saw BJDs when I was 16/17yrs old and got my first one when I was 18yrs old :XD:

13. I remember seeing bjds on livejournal and deviantart back in the mid aughts and I was HOOKED. I must have been 19 when I got my first doll? Most of my "doll time" since then has been with vinyl kids, but I'm now in my 30s and getting back into the resin lifestyle. :lol:

14. I got into BJDs when I was 16 and bought my first at 17 after saving money from my part-time job for months. I'm 29 now and have been in-and-out of the hobby for the last 13 years, with a collection that sort of cycles (though I've always kept my first doll!).

15. I think I came across the existence of BJDs in my early 20s and I was always fascinated by them, but at the time, the price seemed too steep for me who did not have a job and was in school. The interest sort of faded away until last year when I started looking at them again because I also began collecting anime figures. Bought my first doll at the beginning of this year and a few after that. Currently I'm 27! While I wish I had gotten into it sooner because I heard the community was much bigger and more active before, I'm glad that I am in a comfortable financial place to indulge in this hobby of mine.

16. When I first started back in 2011 I was 18 and wanted to get a doll of my own after seeing my friend with her pretty doll from Angell Studio. But that interest didn't live too long for me and then went on a looong hiatus until 2019 when my friends brought back my flame for this hobby once again but this time with a flamethrower! :lol:

17. I discovered bjds at 30, but I didn't buy my first one until 9 years later.

18. I was 12 when I found an article about BJD in the old Shojo Beat magazine. It was a pretty general article but it had links to the old DOA and I was obsessed from then forward. I waited a painstaking few months to turn 13 and I was on DOA two days after my 13th birthday, which makes it easy to remember! :lol: Now I'm 26 almost 27 and still here so I guess some stuff really does stick.

19. I was in my 20's when I got into the hobby and now I'm in my early 30's. I kind of jumped in the hobby really quick, but also had to go on a hiatus for a few years.

20. I was 14 when I first noticed BJDs and made an account here. I was 15 when I had finally saved up enough money from mopping floors to buy my first doll (and a few more after since it was all disposable income).

Do you know which issue this was? I'm curious if I own it! I definitely learned about lolita from Shojo Beat but I can't recall any BJDs.