1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How old were you when you got into the doll hobby?

Jul 23, 2018

1. I just had to look lol! I think I have a bad photo of the article but it's in the June 2007 article. Aimee is even mentioned/quoted in it.

2. I've been interested in dolls since 2009 I was about 20 at the time. I believe seeing them on DeviantArt is what first got me interested in them. A few years after I became interested I purchased 2 Bambicrony girls Tan Nia and Tan Emily both of which I no longer own. This last year (now I'm 32) I have returned to the hobby and have had the luck of being able to purchase a few minifees which were always a dream for me to own. <3

3. I was around 15 when I discovered ball jointed dolls. Later on when I was 18 I bought my first bjd and properly joined the hobby but took a long break until now when I turned 21 I got my first minifee and haven't stopped ever since. I am more active than before in the hobby :)

4. I can't remember exactly how old I was, but it was around my mid 30s, I think, do roughly a decade ago?

5. I played with alot of dolls as a kid. I played with Barbies well into highschool before I had to give them up. I wigged out the first time I saw a Monster High doll. If only I had those when I was younger! Now, I'm in my 40's and I just ordered my first doll.

6. I was a little girl. My mom or grandma would buy me a holiday Barbie every Christmas.

7. I was more of a Littlest Pet Shop kid than a Barbie one, but I got into the BJD hobby at around 12 years old. I'm now 20 and my original dolls are long gone but I'm more invested in the hobby than ever!

8. I think I was 18 when I found about Dream of Doll and was enchanted! Ducan was the one I think.
      I got my first when I was 22 arround 2011and a second one I still have in 2012. After that I had a huge hiatus and came back when I was 31.

9. I was fourteen when I first saw a doll on a random blog one day, it was a Unoa Lusis and I didn't even know what a BJD was. I bought my own Lusis a year later selling art commissions pretty much every waking minute. Unoa were very difficult to buy back then and I had to use a shopping service, then when she arrived I forgot to buy...everything!

I've outgrown the mature mini's and prefer bigger dolls or tiny babies but I'll always remember how happy it felt to open my first doll box.

10. I think the first time I saw a BJD I was maybe 14-15 at an anime convention? One of my acquaintances was showing his off and I was super intrigued. My grandma has been an antique doll collector all my life, but I'd never seen anything like the style of doll that BJDs are. Did a bunch of research before saving up and buying my first dolls (a pair) at about 17? I'm 27 now and once my orders all arrive will have had 15 different dolls in total (10 still in my collection)

11. I was in high school so around...2007? i think i was 16 when i first stumbled upon bjds

12. I knew BJD and was inspired by Rozen Maiden at 10. Since then, I started saving money for my dream doll oneday. I was finally permitted to do part time job after entering university.
      I got my first BJD at 19, and after few year brought the most expensive BJD(thank you Volks) with stable job.

13. 56 years old. I was looking on the internet for a doll for a dollhouse that I had just renovated, and came across bjds. I started looking into them and bought my first one. As I've just become an empty nester, I kind of jumped into the hobby in a big way! The Pandemic helped a bit too:roll:

14. I think I found out about BJDs when I was around 14-15. I bought my first when I was 16, I believe.I'm trying to come back to the hobby now at

15. When I was around 16 or 17, I attended this toy convention and found a BJD booth. It was year 2012 that I fell in love with BJDs. I decided to research them and because the dolls are so pricey and I'm only a student back then, I decided to just admire them from afar.

But once I reached my 20's, a college graduate with a job, I finally earned enough to buy my very first and grail doll. I was just so happy.

The dolls that came after my first BJD were blessings because I never knew I'd get more than 1.

16. It’s so interesting to read how other people got into the hobby—seems like there’s a good range of ages.

In my case, I’ve always played with dolls. My grandmother and mother both collected them, and I got into Asian fashion dolls (Jenny, Licca-chan, Pullip, Blythe) in high school/university, but only really got into BJDs in my 30s. I fall in and out of the hobby periodically, but I figure this will always be a part of me forever.

17. I got into BJDs when I was 60 in 2011. I had never heard of them before that. But I've collected one type of doll or another my whole life. I was into Barbies for long time. Vintage dolls before that. I still have a few Barbies, Liv Dolls, Monster High, Beanie Babies and miniature dollhouse porcelain dolls. I'm a doll addict.

18. I discovered them around 14 I guess? I wanted Shall from DoD so bad, but I knew I couldn't have her. I remember trying making one out of clay and failing, lol.

I re-discovered them during the pandemic in 2020 at 30, when I finally had the financial means to indulge :love

19. I discovered BJD when I was 18 I think. I had other dolls before, as I always loved dolls. I started beeing really interest at 19 (in 2006) and bought my first at 20.
      As I was student back then, I had little money for them and I really started collecting when I had my first job, in 2011.

20. I really admire all you young ones who got into the hobby early, when you couldn’t afford a doll…and persevered until you could finally get one. That takes a special kind of dedication in my book, and I’m highly impressed!:abow: You’re certainly an asset to this hobby.

#260 PoeticSoul, Mar 19, 2022
      Last edited: Mar 19, 2022