1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How old were you when you got into the doll hobby?

Jul 23, 2018

1. Think I was in my 40s when I noticed BJDs when I was going round the doll fairs with my mum I loved them from the start but took me till I was 56 to get my first one

2. I'm not sure when exactly I found out about BJDs (and once I found out how expensive they were I thought I'd never get one), but I know I ordered my first one near the end of year 2012, so counting from that I was 20. Or a year or two younger depending on how you define "being in the hobby", because I do remember looking at other people's dolls and reading about customizing etc. for quite a while before getting one myself. :)

3. I was 21 years old, when I bought my first doll.

4. I found out about BJDs when I was 60 years old and got my first when I was 62. I now have 35 dolls with 50 different characters (head swaps)

5. I started collecting BJDs at the end of my first year of college when I was around 19, ten years ago.

6. 15, 25 now. :P

7. I was 16 when my friend showed me her littlefee family and I asked her to show me more dolls so she emailed me a list with all the companies' names she knew by then. At that time I was spending all my money on comics, so I didn't really thought about purchasing a BJD neither I found one to go for so I was happy only seeing everyone else's dolls on forums and reading about everything I could about BJDs. So I was into the hobby but doll-less.

Four years later, so I was 20, I had been saving a bit of money for no particular reason and I had seen this doll I really liked so I took a leap of faith and purchased it.

8. I was 32 years old when my best friend told me to google bjd I will love it. She was right.

9. I got interested when I was in high school. Well, I bought my first doll some years later. I bought pullips instead of bjd when I was teenage student.

10. It two years ago and I was 20. I have enough money at that time so I buy myself the first doll. Then I fall in love with this kind of dolls.

11. I got into BJDs when I was about 11 I'm not entirely sure how i learned about them any more (it might have been a mix of finding something in a google search for figmas or something on deviantart) I got my first BJD about 1~2 years later at 13

13. Yeah, I love them and they keep me company, and very busy, they are a demanding bunch.
      [​IMG]

15. I was 12-13 when I first got into them. I finally too the plunge years later and got my first doll when I was 17.

16. 22 when I discovered them. 36 when I ordered my first, 37 when I got to open her box!

17. Bought my first bjd as a birthday present to myself for my 35th, almost 6 years ago. I really only knew of their existence for about a year before I got one.

18. I first learned about them when I was 13, but I didn't actually actively join the hobby until I was 23!

19. I think I was like 11 or 12 when I first discovered BJDs, but for some silly reason, my mom was just not down with spending half a grand on a doll for me! :lol: I ended up buying my first one at 23. I was into other parts of the larger doll hobby before that, though, so it was more of transitioning from the fashion doll side of the hobby to BJDs rather than suddenly deciding to take the plunge 10+ years later.

I'm actually pretty glad I waited. My style has absolutely evolved a lot since then. I was into really punk looks and male dolls, neither of which I care to have in my own collection now (although I do love looking at other people's dolls!). I feel like I would have been stuck with dolls I would have grown out of had I entered the hobby when I was younger. It also certainly helps to have a steady income now that I'm older. Conventions and impulse buying that perfect thing you didn't even know you needed until you saw it are some of my favorite parts of the hobby, and I wouldn't have been able to do either as a middle schooler!

20. I remember seeing BJD things and spending a lot of time imagining buying one but deciding it was too expensive and unattainable for a hobby back during my freshman year in college. But it wasn't until just recently (I'm graduating this summer with my Master's) that I've really full on gotten into the hobby and got my first BJD. I'm 23. :3nodding: