1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How to cope with 'pining' for a doll?

Aug 30, 2017

1. I remember when I got my first one, the memory has become so distinctive, even the music i was listening to at the time has become so nostalgic and I'm brought back to when I sat on the LUTS website repeatedly looking at him, and sighing...
      cute times, I got him faster than I had even imagined, and was so pleased!
      Began taking photos and devising background storyarcs forever after! my muse is still with me!

2. I did it by looking for more items/clothes for the doll. Now that the doll has arrived, I am now pinning for her clothes in the mail.. =\

3. Definitely know how you feel! After ordering a doll and knowing it is on it's way, I stalk the post box for the mail man with my doll!

4. Saving for my first doll too. This waiting is agonizing. I even asked my boyfriend to lend me some money so I could pay the doll already and would have him for my birthday, but no. He refused to give me the money. I have pretty much all ready for him. Just missing the doll. And obviously I don't want just any doll. I want this one specific doll I'm buying second hand.

5. I'm only currently resisting because I've bought so much resin this year already and my mum's sort of tried talking me out of having two dolls. But, I don't have a girl yet and the one I'm pining for is a girl. One girl, one boy; makes sense so he's not lonely. And the characters are a couple, they're a pair; you get one, you get the other one.

As for coping, I'm not! I'm trying to hold off until the weekend because it's my birthday and I'm likely to get some money. Depending on how much, I'll probably cave and get the girl's head sooner than initially planned (which was next year). But it's proving difficult to wait...

#25 ivorysand, Sep 19, 2017
      Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    6. I sulk a lot! lol.
      I was all excited this month to order AT LAST my final D&D character doll, but then impldoll delayed their anniversary event till October and i'm all "graaaaarrrrgh"

Part of me suspects while they have something interesting up their sleeve, it won't be the sort of deal I can take good advantage of so it'll be all this waiting for an event to take the sting off ordering a nearly £300 doll and no sweetner.
      So I sulk!

I'm also sulking becuase I realllllly want to order 2 last resinsouls (A Rong in medium tan and a Yao on a boy body in purple) but I don't have the money because i'm saving for the impldoll.
      *headdesk*

so many dolls, never enough cash.

7. I keep myself busy looking for clothes and other accessories for them. I will also play with the dolls I already have(changing their clothes, wigs etc.) Last but not least, looking at a picture of the incoming doll everyday like a stalker.

8. I'm still saving money for my first doll and keep looking at all those beautiful dolls all the time, which makes me so impatient.. I already know exactly what I want her to look like, though I'm still pretty unsure about where to buy mine..

9. Argh, waiting for any kind of movement can be hard, especially for something you love and are passionate about. It's weird for me because the first doll I got was my grail and I got him immediately and didn't pine for anything for a while. Then I decided I wanted to shell a particular quartet of characters (Annix and his BF Pike, and now JoJo and his BF Gil) so I'm waiting for what will likely be my **last** doll order. I have one payment left on the last doll I'm getting (LM Jeremy) and it's driving me so crazy I want to email DDE and tell them I give up, no more waiting! I've been trying to pick outfits and style Gilly right (and pick his name, since Gilbert is the nicest name I could come up with) but even that's hard because he's not here for me to measure and visualize with.

Argh, waiting is the worst, it's very much like pining.

10. Drawing dolls I'm waiting on is always helpful for me! I also really like to make pintrest aesthetic boards for them to help me plan their looks and personalities. All forms of planning and scheming really (♡°▽°♡)! Stalking flickr/instagram tags for pictures of them also helps (while simultaneously making the pining worse lol) and so does reading through any discussion threads for them here on DoA. I also try to get at least a little bit of their shopping done before they arrive so they don't have to sit around blank and naked; at least one full outift (including shoes), eyes, and a wig are basically mandatory because I hate having unfinished looking dolls—even if everything they're wearing is temporary. Getting a certain space ready for them is also on the must-do list for me.

...Right now I'm in the last stretch of waiting for a doll I ordered back in July and I'm getting so antsy (ಥ﹏ಥ) My shipping notice is due to show up any day now and it's driving me totally batty! I have her stuff all ready for her! Her spot on my desk is all cleared out! The weather's even getting good for faceups again!

11. Just like everyone above says - it's a great time to plan the outfit/character/etc :)
      I do a lot of the above:
      1.I collect Internet photos in a folder of what others did witht the sculpt in terms of makeup/wigs.
      2. I also collect clothes design ideas. I buy fabrics and small accessories (buttons, diomonds, roses, lace, whatever) that I'll use with the doll's outfits...
      3. I draw them too ;)
      4. I write my 'dialogues' ( i have this blog where I publish my dialogues with my dolls being perfectly self-conscious of their being dolls :D and this is a time for me to think of those too ;)
      5. clean your house and make sure you keep it this way (I'm super lazy so incoming dolls somewhat motivate me to tidy up xD) so that when the doll arrives you can take nice pics :)

12. Even though I just joined the hobby, I can relate to this quite a bit! I am waiting for my first few dolls to arrive and I currently have one on layaway. Two of these dolls are my grails, so I wouldn't complain if I could have them right now instead of a few months from now! These are a few ways I have been keeping myself preoccupied while waiting for the dolls to show up at my door:
      • Planning visuals and outfits for my dolls (and future dolls). This includes finalizing details such as wig style, wig color, and eye color. If I am planning on a face-up for a blank head, I stare at pictures of the sculpt and think of the best way to make the facial features shine.
      • Shopping for wigs, eyes, clothes, shoes, accessories, and other items. I would like to have clothes for my dolls so that they won't be sitting around naked.
      • Working on BJD related crafts. I have an eye mold now so I plan on making my own resin eyes. There is a very particular set of eyes I want for one of my dolls so I plan on making it myself. As an artist, I am all for learning a new craft!
      • Studying how to sew and make clothes. I have been spending a ton of time on this recently, mainly because I am really interested in fashion and designing my own clothes. Sewing was extremely appealing to me when I was a kid but I never took it seriously until now. I plan on making clothes for my dolls in the near future.
      • Practicing photography. I recently invested in a higher quality camera so I am getting ready to do photoshoots with my dolls!
      • Planning future doll photoshoots. Some of these might require props or sets.
      • Cleaning and setting up an area for my dolls! I bought a fancy pet bed that I plan to use as a roomy sofa for my collection.
      • Looking at male fashion/clothes. I have a fairly good idea of how I want my male dolls to look, but it doesn't hurt to have some extra inspiration. I don't do this for female dolls because I just use my own fashion sense.
      • Taking a look at my wish list and budgeting for future dolls. I also made a list of supplies or tools I would need for upcoming BJD projects.
      • Spending time on other hobbies. I have been keeping myself busy with my usual hobbies of reading, exercising, drawing/painting, playing video games, etc.

13. I'm kinda right now/was in the same situation, a little different since unbeknownst to me that while saving up for what was going to be a Resinsoul Yi as my first doll, I ended up finding and getting the guy in my icon, a Dollmore Nayuta secondhand before remembering the Yi since it was kinda a rushed/last minute decision thing. After pressing the 'buy now' button and going through with buying the Nayuta, I had a moment of: "wait....Yi! I was gonna finally get Yi! D:'. So I'm still somewhat in the position of yearning since Resinsoul Yi was the first bjd I had my eyes/heart set on getting since rediscovering bjds now as an adult with a job then 9 years ago when first found out about bjds at 13. Its a little better now that I have my Nayuta to kinda keep my mind off of it though. As well as I don't know why but when I find myself going to the sales page and looking at the pictures of a doll I'm saving up for, it makes me feel more calmed that one day I'm gonna get him.

14. Saving for my first doll... but this reminds me of something interesting I learned in class recently! Apparently, waiting/anticipation is just as enjoyable, if not more enjoyable, than actually getting what you're waiting for. It's a natural thing for most animals (because, if you don't have the motivation to seek/find food, for example, you'd likely just let yourself starve). So enjoy the waiting!!!!! It's literally half the fun (or more)!

This is also why it's fun in the hobby to research dolls. Searching for the next thing you'll wait for... ah, humanity is strange.

15. Im still pining right now :atremblin:atremblin:atremblin its really hard I don't know ahhhhh reading this thread might help me cope ... good luck to me

16. I definitely hear you on that one. It will be spring before I can even order my first doll. My strategy is to distract myself with other things. I just bought my sewing machine yesterday, so I will be learning how to sew, so once I do get my doll, I can make clothes for her. Till then its making pillows, blankets and PJs for me and my hubby till I learn how my machine works.

17. I'm pining for a doll head right now! I'm trying to save money to buy her! It's just so hard to get my mind off her because she would be my second doll! I try to keep myself busy to get my mind off of it.

18. I haven't found a way to cope with the pining. When your finances are tied up, the feeling intensifies. If anyone knows any foulproof methods to relieve the madness I'd love to know.

19. I agree! I love the waiting time. So many possibilities to dream about, to research, to buy all things necessary and not so necessary, for me it’s a wonderful time, like Christmas time:). Of course, at the same time I‘m impatient to receive my new doll, haha.

20. Currently waiting and saving up for my first doll and driving myself crazy slowly with the wait. But thinking about and planning out all the things I want to do with it and would need for it does help. Also just learning more about BJDs little by little over the time so I'm best prepared for him/her. The endless homework I have right now helps fill the time void too. lol