1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How to cope with 'pining' for a doll?

Aug 30, 2017

1. I don’t really pine (not after dolls—I pined after my girlfriend until I had the guts to ask her out). I think the lack of doll-pining is just cause I have such a busy life between school, work, d&d, my mod projects, and my girl that I don’t really have time to think about what I have on order, or how I feel about it not being here. Once I have a shipping notification, I stalk the tracking, but that’s about it.

2. This, exactly! I love reveling in the delicious anticipation of it all, that icy feeling of excitement in your gut whenever you think about the new doll you currently find yourself in love with. I‘ve been collecting BJDs for 14 years now and have 40 dolls (yikes) and it still happens to me every single time! I embrace the feeling completely and use it to develop their character, collect photos for face-up and clothing inspiration, research names, purchase wigs and eyes, etc. In this way, by the time they actually arrive, I’ve already bonded with them.:)

3. I relate to the OP so much! I'm waiting for my first and I'm honestly missing her, even though she probably hasn't even been cast yet! I just want to explore her character and spend time with her and write about her and take pictures and and and :sorry

4. Hmmm... I don't think I'm coping all that well :lol:I took a plunge and ordered my first BJD because I wanted to get back to hand crafting stuff, and I want to do that because I have a "handicraft hobby" shaped hole in my life atm - nothing else seams to satisfy the urge...
      I imagine it is going to be far easier for me to wait for the rest of the crew after my first one arrives and I can finally DO STUFF! But so far I stocked up on tools, fabrics, and other materials - that made me a bit happier, but at the same time - even more impatient, now that I have it I want to use it! Badly! :pout:
      Oh, and yes I commissioned a wig for her and ordered 7 pairs of eyes, got a fancy chair I can set up on my desk in preparation, found and saved every picture of faceups for this sculpt, so I can figure out what I like ... And I'm only two month in... And the doll I'm actually likely to get first was ordered a MONTH ago... So at least two month to go...
      So no, I'm not coping well, at all:lol:Will probably have to find something to distract myself with... Not sure how well that would work thou...

5. I remember when I first got into the hobby I couldn't wait to get my first doll. I started writing, crafting accessories and furniture for it nonstop while I waited for it to arrive. Like PoeticSoul said, that feeling is a great inspiration booster to get creative!

6. I stalked the forum and window shopped LOL.
      I think its fun to see what other people are doing in the hobby and thinking about what I might be doing when the doll arrives.
      I don't usually get things together for a doll prior to it arriving (except for my very first doll) because I'm disorganized like that.

7. I definitely thought reading this thread may help. First doll but my order updated to queued for shipping so I am extra ecstatic.

In regards to how I curb pining I tend to window shop new dolls and shop for specific accessories. May attempt to do as other posters suggested and draw the doll / attempt to make things for said doll. We'll get there.

8. You can cope with this by:
      - Making a mason jar, write the character's name or their doll sculpt putting in loose change etc into the jar at any given time. This will help your mental state of pining since you are working 'towards' your goal.
      - Savings at banks, Savings accounts can be 'named'; you can name them "doll" and have like $1.00 or more go there every paycheck. You will see that you are taking steps to obtain your doll.
      - Writing stories
      - Drawing
      - Make moodboards
      - Make online doll-makers or the use of a paperdoll to make different clothing styles etc for your doll to start making progress on what that doll would wear and what would look good as their styles

I'm sure most of these suggestions were already written down, so consider them as helping mind tricks that you can do to yourself to trick yourself into calming down the pining phenomenon. Thank you for reading! Hope it helps,

Best of luck
      - chisohma @ig