1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How to go about the same sculpts?

Jan 29, 2019

1. I saw this post from one of bjd facebook group about two of the same sculpts. I'm in the position of having two of the same sculpt, one OE and one SE, and have yet decided what I want to do with my OE.

So to those who have two or more of the same sculpts:
      Do you make them into twins, triplets, etc. Or like doppelgangers?

Is there a similar aesthetic or a stark difference?

Was there ever a time where you tried to force the sculpt to look/be similar to the other(s)? And what was your resolve?

If you have different versions of the same sculpt (so like in my case), what did you do/what would've you done with both of them?

Feel free to answer all, some or none of the questions:) I just want to know what other people do

2. Do you make them into twins, triplets, etc. Or like doppelgangers?
      Well, normally I don't get the same sculpts but I recently ordered another Marmite Sue Posing girl. I already have 3 faceplates but I have another orchid faceplate coming as well so they could be considered samesies... I think I'm going to make them into sisters, but not necessarily twins.

Definitely going to be a similar aesthetic

Was there ever a time where you tried to force the sculpt to look/be similar to the other(s)? And what was your resolve?
      hmm, can't really answer this one

If you have different versions of the same sculpt (so like in my case), what did you do/what would've you done with both of them?
      I just can't wait to take pictures of them together! I love little poses with multiple dolls that are similar in size and appearance!

3. I have multiples of several sculpts...

Typically they end up being avatars for unrelated characters, each with their own look. (Sannanjae and Crow, for instance, are both Volks F-31s. Jack and Cardinal are both Iple's Tedros. Falcon and Blackbird are both CP/Delf Elf Yders-) The only two cases in my collection where the exact same sculpt is used for a pair of siblings involve my elemental twins, who are supposed to be created entities (They don't even have individual names and are both Soom SE Heliots. One's on a female body, while the other is male, but the heads are identical.) and my Volks Tsubakis. One of them is the living reflection of the other.

Most of my twin pairs are either completely different sculpts that have a stylistic resemblance (Koza and Kiji, for example, are a MiniFee Elf Shiwoo and Elf Shushu. Akirra and Kadai are a CP/Delf Dambi and If-) or they're variations of the same sculpt, like your OE and SE heads. (Julian and Ashley are OE and SS Breakaways, Harumatsu and Tien Jen are OE and Dreaming Shiwoos, Kenji and Tian are OE and Romantic Okitas-)

So, really, you can go either way with same-sculpt or variation-of-a-sculpt dolls... Make them related. Make them completely different. It all works.

4. Do you make them into twins, triplets, etc. Or like doppelgangers?
      I will soon have 2 of same sculpts in my collection and they will be brothers.
      They are both half winged creatures half humans but with different styles (1 will be cool punk demon looking boy and other will be pastel cute angel looking boy).
      I hope I understand this question correct. I did look into similar looking sculpts to make my character have different expressions.
      Not yet but I'm planning to get human version of a vampire sculpt I own and he will be same character just before transformation.

5. This is becoming increasingly relevant for me haha! I have three sculpts that I have/might have a double.

I really like the idea of twins or at least sisters. I think it adds a cool little quirk to their characters and would look awesome in photos.

Aesthetically they’d all of these “twins” would be similar just because I have a style I like and Id enjoy it if they reflected one another. I might go with opposite color schemes but overall style would certainly be similar.

Have no real experience with the third question but for the fourth I’m in the exact same position. I plan on keeping both versions of my upcoming girl and making them sisters. They’ll both have different themes but they’ll compliment each other. This was an unexpected development and I don’t think I would have ever set out to get two of this doll but I’m really happy I’m going to have the chance!

6. Do you make them into twins, triplets, etc. Or like doppelgangers?
      I have one set that are twins. The other set of multiples I have just because I like them, no rhyme or reason. I don't consider them to be any particular relationship to each other.

I'm guessing you mean between them individual dolls I have multiples of? A little of both, I guess.

I might be able to explain this better with examples.

My Migidoll Owens I do mean to be identical twins. So I wanted them to look the same while being distinct enough I don't keep forgetting which head is which. You won't mix them up, but you can also tell at a glance they have the same features.

[​IMG]

I achieved this by painting one twin with more dramatic makeup and piercings, while the other is more subdued (but still has a little piercing to preserve solidarity between the two).

My other duplicates are the Volks Lucai (multiple school as and F16s, and a single Lucas and Irvin which have a very strong resemblance). Which I collect because the Lucas/Chris/F16/School A/Schulze/etc molds are just my favorite bjd mold period and they make me smile. Also I think some part of me when I got into the hobby wanted to be Caress of Venus. For them I'm adopting a strategy of making sure each one has a unique feature of their own.

For instance, this School A I lovingly call eyebrows (because of the ... unfortunate faceup he originally came with) has his freckles as a defining point to separate him from the rest.

[​IMG]

He's also painted by another artist (overlordu/heart's murmur), but I'm doing that more as a way to collect faceups from artists I like ....

I do actually have a sweet dream school a as well, but it actually is sculpted so that it looks pretty different from an OE school A. You definitely couldn't not pass them off as alternative expression heads, for instance. That said, I've went with the distinctly different route.

[​IMG]

(Also not my paint job, though as an interesting note his mouth has been overpainted to more resemble an OE school a. So he looks more similar than he would otherwise.)

7. I have an Oe and Se Spiritdoll Snowdrop and they're both going to be the same character. It'll work great for photos for me.

8. I always loved the idea of identical twin dolls but haven't gone that route... yet.
      I do have 2 Migidoll Ryus who are brothers, the sculpt just worked perfectly for both characters so they became brothers. They are very dramatically different characters, and look it.
      [​IMG]ryus 2 by napoleonchan, on Flickr

I have both open and dreaming eyed plates for my Dollshe Rosen, meant to be two expressions for the same character. If a doll can make more than one face, why not? :D

I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning to get Supia Hamin for a character and I would like to get a Ji-in head to be the same character when she isn't smiling. I suspect as long as they're two very similar looking heads, it wouldn't be hard at all to pass two sculpts off as the same character.

It all depends on the different versions and what plans I have for the doll. I bought an Iplehouse Oscar with an addiction head just planning to mod/paint it and sell it, maybe on his body since I was making a hybrid and didn't want the body. Interestingly enough Oscar didn't work out for me and his regular head and body were sold and a few years later I still have the half modded addiction head in a cabinet. Any open eye/closed eye heads I'd likely make the same character, or if it were like, say Unoa, I'd probably keep multiple expressions for one doll.

9. Do you make them into twins, triplets, etc. Or like doppelgangers?
      I have two sets of twins. One set is Doll Chateau Hilary - in pink and white. The second set of twins is Withdoll Juwel, the OE and HOE version. I also have a Soom Trachy with two heads, but I put the second head on a slightly smaller (cheap) body, so they're big brother and little sister.

My Hilary twins are both going to be troll type creatures. (The pink one just arrived, so she's still bald, nude and unpainted.) My two Withdoll boys are very different. Kyan is a warrior, while his brother Iolan is a druid.

I'm not sure I understand the question correctly. I do have sculpts that are similar, and that have similar face-ups because they're related. I don't change the sculpt itself, though, just the face-up.

See above: my HOE and OE Juwel are twins.

10. i was just thinking about this earlier today because i am about to have both the msd version and yosd version of the same sculpt (dollzone carter)! one is a fantasy skintone (msd is purple, yosd is pink skin) so i’m still not sure, but maybe writing this out will help me work through it!

since one of them is smaller than the other, my first thought was brothers, with the older one being ‘corrupted’ or possibly undead, while the younger brother is almost angelic. recently though, i have also started to consider making the msd be a physical representation of the worst traits of the little one. kinda like the opposite of jiminy cricket.

i do want them to be styled similarly, but not exactly. i think the main difference is the msd will be a little more dirty and sickly, while the yosd will be kinda proper and cute.

i think since the msd was an impulse buy (i got too excited about the dollzone purple resin) and the yosd was a grail, i feel obligated to justify getting the msd by making him a part of the yosd’s story. there is always a chance that my whole view will change once i have the msd in hand, but for right now i want him to have a purpose!

11. I don't currently own any of the same sculpts, but I have in the past.

Usually family members, but a little bit of everything. I had DZ Mo in four different forms-- two SD, one MSD, one tiny. SD and MSD were the same character in different scales (had MSD first, upgraded to SD), the other SD was his son in the future, and the tiny was his baby daughter. I've owned a father and son 5Star Doll Tumnus. I've owned two IslandDoll Kevins, who were siblings at different stages. I also owned multiple DZ Hid and BlueBlood Waltz in different skin tones, but they were all completely unrelated, I just liked the sculpts.

For the family members, there's a very close aesthetic, but for the unrelated ones, very different.

I've tried both, and been pretty successful. At one time, a friend and I owned the same sculpt, they were mirror image twins, and I tried my best to get their faceups and wigs to be perfectly mirrored, and came very close. My Waltzes were very different-- one was alight skinned, brunet frat boy, the other was a tan, grey eyed, shaggy blond rapper. You would have to look closely to see they were the same sculpt.

For me, it's all about the character. If the first shelled character had siblings, adult children or another family member who would look much like them, I'd probably go with that. If not, then completely different character or alternate version of the same one. (I've considered doing that, too, so I can have the same character but with different expressions or different makeup).

12. I have two sets of duplicate sculpts in my collection! And each set evolved differently over time, so I'm doing something slightly different with the KIDs than I am with the JIDs.

KIDs - doppelgangers, definitely. One of the girls is in "normal" skin, and the other two of the girls are gray skinned. The former is the "real" girl, and her gray counterparts represent different aspects of her imaginary life. (The gray girls have radically different face-ups, and they do a good job of standing in for either a calm sort of imaginary scenario, or a slightly more grim scenario.)

JIDs - no relationship to each other at all. One of them is the big sister of the above-mentioned KID, and the other is a teenager living a completely different life in a different time and on a different continent.

They all have a different aesthetic.

No, I've never tried to make them any more alike than they already are.

My KIDs have vampire heads, and I will admit that I haven't done anything with them. I had such plans for them when I bought them! But it never seemed to work out.

13. Do you make them into twins, triplets, etc. Or like doppelgangers?

I wanted to make them into twins or couples or at least brothers but currently they do not match like that at all because of different faceup and skin tone.

The similar aesthetic is probably the eye shape and lip shape, as well as the ear shape. Everything else differed tremendously.

I haven't gotten there yet but I will eventually get either one of them a faceup to look like the other one, or get them both new faceup to look similar.

I think I would try to treat them as individual dolls rather than a pair like I intended.

14. I have done - but I have five of the same sculpt (on different bodies) - two of them are boy/girl twins, one is an older sister, one an even older cousin, and one (as yet unpainted) will hopefully be another (younger) sibling:
      The twins:
      [​IMG]

The older sister and even older cousin:
      [​IMG]

Different face-ups, eyes, wigs etc, can make quite a lot of difference.

Well, all of them are members of the same large Victorian family, so they have a similar period aesthetic, but they are different ages, on different bodies, and each have their own style. The twins are painted similarly, and have the same eyes and hair colour, but the others are different.

I had the twins painted to look similar, but different (since one is male, the other female)

Only with the twins - before I got their heads, one had been slightly modded (the sculpt has an aesymetric jaw line and it had been modded to even it up on one (the boy twin), but not on the other).

I also have two DollsTown Alina's - but one is Oriental skin on a 5Year body, the other Caramel Brown on the 7Year body. One painted by Jay Searle, one painted by me, one styled 1920s/30's, one styles modern, so they dont' really look alike at all
      [​IMG]

Teddy

#15 Teddy, Jan 31, 2019
      Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    15. I'm gonna do the same thing, but in reverse! The yosd is gonna be the dead one and the msd will be his twin brother who grew up!

16. Do you make them into twins, triplets, etc. Or like doppelgangers?
      No, no and no.
      I have two Breakaways and they are half siblings
      I have four Dollmore Kara Klums, three of them are all various versions of Alex and the fourth is a weirdo
      I have multiple sculpts more than once that I use as extra heads for certain dolls (John, Harley, Kimi and David. I have a few floating blank Kara Klums that will eventually be Alex's extra heads. Someday)

My two Breakaways are (will be - the second is new and not finished yet) very different.
      My three Kara Klums are pretty different from each other despite being the same person, the fourth is extremely different
      Some extra heads for some dolls have totally different faceups for different looks.
      All John's Ringdoll K heads have similar faceups, but are modded for different expressions - angry, mild, sad, sleeping and silly - I have one I haven't modded yet that will be surprised/horrified. Hopefully.
      David is a Migidoll Ryu and I have all three versions (normal, cynical and vampire) for different expressions.

Basically the only double of a sculpt I have that isn't the same character is Breakaway and they're kind of different in that one is the Sleeping version with fangs and the other is OE version with open mouth. So maybe they don't even count XD

17. One of my friends has a whole bunch of the same sculpt and I don't know if they're all related but they're all super cute!
      [​IMG]

18. Do you make them into twins, triplets, etc. Or like doppelgangers?
      I make them either family or friends. My Standard Megu, FCS F-01 and DearSD Una are sisters while my DearSD Megu and DearSD SwD Megu are a separate set of twins, my YoSD Megu and old F-05 are not going to be related to eachother or any of the other dolls so friend they will be.

They have similar aesthetics though not exactly the same and their personalities/characters are very different so their styling reflects that.

Yes! I have a strong love of Megu with black hair and of course tried that with Mafuyu (DearSD Megu) as all my other dolls had black hair but she was not having it. She wanted to be pink and I've accepted it and gone with that.

I have several different version of the same sculpt (NS, Sunlight, WS, old Beauty white, dreaming, sleeping/completely closed eyes, YoSD) and I've done something different with each one. They are all individual characters.

19. I have a few dolls which are the same sculpt, and they are all different characters and look different.
      Some have fantasy face-ups and other natural, and some are hybrid dolls too.