1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you feel if someone gave you BJD clothes as a gift?

Dec 24, 2009

1. I'd be surprised if they'd go as far as go through the mostly difficult order procedure.
      I don't know if they'd pick out the right clothes but when they'd look at my dolls and get to their companies' pages I think they'd figure it out. ^^
      About style... hmm... that's probably the most possible thing that might go wrong. I mostly experiment with styles I do myself so looking how my dolls look right now wouldn't be the best way to go. ^^;
      All in all I'd appreciate their good will but I think I'd probably sell it if it's not the dolls' style. -_-

2. Thinking about my own parents, I can see why you'd be upset. :sweat Maybe it's because I put so much thought into the gifts I give, that I'm disappointed when people don't do the same in return. For instance, I would never attempt to buy doll clothes for someone without knowing the size/style they needed.

3. I agree with Kalani...this would definately be a reason then for your Mom to get you a new doll that fit the clothes!!!:lol:

4. When in doubt, remember the old addage: It's not the gift, but the thought that counts.

If someone buys a gift, any gift, be grateful, Period. No matter if it is what you (generic) had in mind or not. We have all gotten gifts in our time that were the wrong size, or not exactly what we had in mind, but someone thought enough of us to spend their hard-earned money, so we should be grateful and try to make use of the gift. Disappointment or whining will only come off as sounding spoiled or selfish.

Doll clothes aren't cheap. Most of them cost as much (or way more!) than our own clothes. If someone is willing to invest that kind of money, definitely say thank you and find a way to use it, even if it wasn't what you had in mind.

5. i would be ecstatic! 1: cuz i didnt have to spend money 2. my dolls would have clothes! D: 3. even if they werent that great try to find a use for them and/or sell them later(when the fam has practically forgotten them) for better stuff cuz im a selfish one :P

6. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      I'd be glad. It wouldn't matter the size or style, it's the thought that counts? And I could always ask if it's possible to exchange to a proper size. As for style? Well, think of that ugly *insert piece of clothing* that your *insert family member/friend* got you, the one you wear to make them feel good, even though you hate it. Well, it would be just like that!

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes?
      No, I'd let them pick. For me, it takes away from the gifty-ness of it. XD; But I wouldn't turn away an offer to pick something.

Would you return it? Regardless of how they'd feel about that?
      No. If it's the wrong size, I would talk to them about perhaps exchanging it for a proper fit.

Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes?
      I sure would. And I even stuff my doll into. XD

7. My friends & I almost always give each other doll clothes as gifts & it's absolutely wonderful. I really like all sorts of clothes so I enjoy whatever I get. Much of the time we make the things we give so that makes it extra special. I just love any type of dolly gifts.

8. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. Excited and grateful.

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes? (That's what I wanted them to do, I said that I wanted to pick them out.) I'd prefer but they have the best intentions!

Would you return it? Regardless of how they'd feel about that? No, I would just keep it.

Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes? Appreciate it. It's the thought that counts.

9. It's the thought that counts. :) Even if it didn't fit, I would tailor it to make it fit if it was too small, or save it to buy a bigger doll if it was too big (I plan on buying bigger dolls...)

Actually, my mother did buy me an SD-sized choker on accident (accidental peek into Dollmore.net account.... *_*; ) I only have an MSD coming, so I will just use it as a belt or something. :) Or maybe I can poke a smaller hole in the collar to let it fit her!

Or stow it away until I have $600 to order my Iplehouse SD...D:

10. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      My grandma bought me an outfit for Christmas, but I picked it out. XP Obviously it would fit.
      But when I used her paypal to buy something, I saw that she had bought something recently and shamelessly investigated- it was another outfit that I had said would fit my dolls :D

Not if they know the clothes would fit- I had a very specifically sized anthro collection, so any other clothes would probably not work. If they knew how to size, I wouldn't care about the style.

No! Not if it fit. If it didn't, they would want it returned too- it's happened before.

Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes?
      I always appreciate the thought- my grandma wants to measure my dolls so that she can get one of her seamstress friends to make custom clothes for them! :D While she doesn't want me to buy to many dolls, she spends the most (other than me of course) on them, including buying one of them for me. My family is very accepting and I appreciate it :D

11. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style! I'd be very grateful for getting me something that's not really easy to get. They put effort in it, regardless if it's not the right size. I'd put up a big smile and still say 'thank you' and will ensure them that I'll find a good use of them.

To prevent that they would get the wrong size, yes, it is preferred.
      I wouldn't want them to feel guilty about making a mistake.

No, I don't think I will, unless the one who gave the gift wants it. Otherwise,
      I simple go find a good use for it. ;3

See all the above. ;3

12. I would be very happy whatever the size, style and gender the outfit is for because someone gave it to me. I can always alter it (or have someone alter it) a bit. Anyway, it's the thought that counts. Though if it's w/ my parents, friends or relatives, they will ask what size and gender my doll is coz they don't like to waste money and time specially my parents. ^.^; Any style would actually do as long as they gave it to me, a gift is a gift no matter how icky it is~ :3

13. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!

I would totally worry about getting something unusable, like the wrong size, or clothes that I'd consider overpriced for the quality. But if the style turns out to be off for the doll or something, or even the wrong gender, as long as it fits and looks nice I wouldn't get picky. My doll is meant to wear lots of warm, light colors and things, but if they got her a goth outfit or a tux suit or something, that would still be really cool XD .

I probably would prefer this method =P . Though I'm 'OK' with just about any style, because all doll clothes just end up so cute, what I really *want* want I'm more picky about. Especially since I don't intend on actually buying clothes too much, because I want to try making most of her clothes, the few outfits I buy I'd want to be really 'wow' factor and fancy (something I couldn't make myself) .

I'd only return it if it was totally the wrong size/unwearable for my doll. If it was still useable but not quite to my tastes, I think I'd just deal with it and be happy anyway. Any doll clothes are fun to try out so long as they fit! Besides, such a hassle to be returning things and such, and not very grateful to the person who got it.

Yup, this option. Besides, even if it doesn't suit the doll I have right now, the dolls I'm getting later hit just about every other 'style/theme', so I'll be able to make use of it eventually. Unless, like I said, wrong size. Then I'd just have to tell them that and see if it can be sold or traded or something.

<3 ali

14. While I can understand the disappointment of receiving doll clothes that you don't get to pick or have any say in, I think that gifts aren't always about getting what you want. It's tempting to think of present-centric holidays and birthdays with a mindset like, "Awesome! This is when I get stuff for free so I don't have to pay for it myself," but that's not why people buy gifts--it's not really intended to save the recipient some cash. I think of it more like a show of your appreciation and attention towards the recipient.

On that note, I would be overjoyed if my family bought me doll clothing, even if it were totally on a whim and absolutely nothing my dolls would ever wear and the wrong size. It would show that they were paying attention to me and trying to get something I'd like--I'd prefer it over money or store gift-card ANY time! I've experienced this a lot in the past (not with doll items yet) such as clothing that absolutely isn't my style but is from a store I like. I can tell that my family is trying.

When this sort of thing happens, what I like to do is (if possible without hurting feelings) return it for something we can choose together--that way I can show the giver what I'd like so they'll have better luck next time! n_~ However, before that I try to find a way to like and keep it. For me, the thought is much more important than the actual item. Another option is to keep the item, try to work with it, and then if it really isn't "useable" trade or sell it for something else. Personally, I feel much better about trading gifts than selling them, but there's no specific reason.

15. See, this is why I'm glad to have dolls of all sizes. Unless someone gave me something intended for a teensyweensy doll or an AG, whatever it is would probably fit SOMEONE.

So I guess I would pretty much appreciate it. Clothes aren't cheap, and it's nice to not have to sew.

16. I would be over the moon I think. Even if the clothes wern't to my taste exactly, or didn't fit, though most of the clothes I have already don't really fit...

It would be nice for someone to have have actually supported my hobby in some way, considering I usually just get money, buying presents for me is just a hassel.

17. I would feel fantastic that someone was supporting me weirdo doll hobby. And honestly, I think if you thanked them and let them know how much the thought meant to you then they wouldn't mind if you sold or returned the stuff to exchange for what fits your dolls. Because they reason they picked it out was for you use and enjoy. ;D Don't worry!

18. i would be THRILLED. I'd make my dolls wear the stuff no matter what it was, even if it looked bad. My aunt made my Bahas some dresses that fit kind of badly and weren't their size but i LOVED that she made them and i took lots of photos of them (usung camera trickery to make them look better). like they say, it's the thought that counts! and maybe even if the "look" isn't what you intended you might like the change, it'll be fun to see what they come up with!

oh, i found one of the pictures! see, not my doll's style at all but i made it work, i was so grateful that she made these for me <3

[​IMG]

19. i would not care i would just take them cause she took her time in chossing and buying its so great its a gift from youre mom what else but accecpt and be happy

20. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      Ecstatic - I can never afford the really lovely clothes I see for sale. Someone else buying it for me would be awesome :)

Parents and friends are usually pretty pragmatic about things that don't fit, it's like getting the wrong size clothing for a human - no good if it doesn't fit. They'd be ok about me changing it.

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes? (That's what I wanted them to do, I said that I wanted to pick them out.)

Yeah that kinda is a bit worrying, but maybe your Mum looked at what you were looking at and ordered it? If I was to ask for clothing I'd probably say 'this item' I think I did that for Kef's one good gown.

I would return it as I could use another item that fit, but I would show how grateful I was and say something like it was beautiful and so what you wanted but you have to change it as it doesn't fit. There is no point having clothing sitting around if you can't use it :)

Well if a scenario occured that the gifter would be mortally offended if the item was returned for something that fit I would keep it - maybe later on get a doll it would fit, or - more likely - wait until things have cooled down and then ask again if you can exchange the item, reiterating that items that don't fit are like having clothes and shoes around yourself that don't fit -without the added incentive that the doll can slim or grow to fit it!! :))

One thing I'll add here (having read back) the above only applies to stuff that is store bought, absolutely anything that was handmade or special in some other way I would be keeping.