1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you feel if someone gave you BJD clothes as a gift?

Dec 24, 2009

1. I would be grateful regardless of style or size, it would make me happy that someone took my hobby into consideration when buying a gift for me.

2. I would be thrilled an very happy if a family member/friend bought me something for my doll. It wouldn't matter if it was the wrong size or not the right style, its that their heart was in the right place and they tried to get me something special and out of the ordinary. I would be very gracious. My mum bought a little bunny plushie for my girl because she knows how much Shiloh's crazy about bunnies! :D It meant so much to me that she did that.

3. I received hand made clothes from my best friend last year for Christmas, and even though they do not actually fit May I keep them with her stuff because they were made for her! And who knows, one day I might get a doll that they do fit.

Also, my parents do not buy anything for my dolls unless I ask them to, but my dad knows most of the basic terms and if he was to buy me something he would know to buy the right sizes ^^

4. Since doll clothes are expensive for me and I can't make them for my life, I really wish my mom would make more for my doll. She made a basic outfit once for Christmas, and I was very happy since before then Laika only had too-big clothes from an off-topic doll. I'm not sure if I'd ask her to, though, because making clothes for small bodies is hard. I would be very greatful to receive doll clothes of any kind as long as they fit my doll; after all, I'm not planning to get any in a scale besides Slim Mini. As long as I'm in the hobby I might as well stockpile doll clothes so new dollies don't have to be naked, and my mom knows enough about me to be able to guess what styles I like. I'd feel really guilty if I pressured her into it, though, when she can always get me other things that are easier to acquire. (not that I want her to spend her money on me- I'd feel bad if she felt obligated to do so.)

5. If they knew what style my dolls had, it wouldn't be a problem. But having someone blindly shop for my dolls and get something that doesn't fit or work for them would be kind of upsetting, but I would get over.

6. for me I would be super surprised lol even if they were they wrong style or size I would still appreciate the effort :)

7. I think that, overall, I would be grateful. My parents are not much of liking this hobby, specially my dad. So, it would be awesome <3 but still I would tell them the size maybe, is gonna be something sad if none of the clothes fit my guys ;c uhmm, no I wouldn't return them, I would keep the clothes and make my dolls wear everything :)

8. I'd be grateful! Goodness knows, clothes are expensive and sewing takes expertise. I'll take what I can get. Even if the clothes didn't fit, I could examine them for hints in learning how to construct my own.

9. I'd be happy if someone is very thoughtful and decides to give me a gift that's related to my hobby! But you're right that if someone knows nothing about BJDs they can get the wrong size, then my doll can't wear it. So I prefer if they can let me pick out the clothes. But even if it doesn't fit, I would keep it and not return it because it's a gift from someone.

10. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      I might be a little miffed if it were the wrong size, more so because they spent money or effort on something I couldn't use right off the bat than anything. However, I'd just hide it and say thanks, then quietly tuck the clothes away for safekeeping.

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes?
      I do, yes. My mom is the only one who buys stuff for my dolls, and she usually lets me pick.

Would you return it? Regardless of how they'd feel about that?
      Probably not. I'd put it in my BJD box and keep it just in case a doll came along that could wear it. If they bring up the fact that the clothes haven't been used, then and only then is it time to VERY GENTLY AND POLITELY tell them that it's the wrong size. This is possible, as long as you're kind and make it clear that it was still a kind gift.

Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes?
      Yep, definitely keep. As fond as I am of ball-jointed dolls, I probably could find someone to wear the clothes.

11. My parents make my doll stuff but never buy her stuff. They dont know where to find it. They know my dolls style so i normally like it

12. A guy I dated in college bought an MSD hoodie and some Converse for my dolls. The relationship has long since ended, but those items are still part of my Volks boy's default outfit.

13. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      Pretty much everyone knows I can sew, therefore they also know that I might take something apart and make a new thing if it doesn't fit my needs. This goes for clothing for myself of for dolls, or whatever. :D Usually though, people just give me fabric and wish me luck.

Presents are presents. If they ask me too, I'll pick, if they don't, I'll accept the gift graciously.

If I could return something with ease to exchange it for something that was suited, I would. It's the gesture of a gift that matters, not the gift itself.

Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes?
      Again, I would accept the gesture, but would not feel bad about the gift being not quite right and exchanging it. It actually helps the sentiment to send along a Thank You card, or gift to someone if they got your something, that way they know it was appreciated even if it was wrong. I'm a fan of thank you cards and a bit of chocolate, or whatever sweets the person likes :D

14. I don't have a BJD yet, but I'd be super happy mainly because I'd be excited someone acknowledged my hobby

15. It's always nice, isn't it? A good reason to try to enjoy the hobby with friends :)

16. I would appreciate the gesture and most likely keep the clothes even if they did not fit or match the styles of my dolls. I like to sew and would find some way to make them work, if not for my bjds, then for my other dolls they might be able to work for. My current bf is not into dolls, but every time I show him something I've done with or made for Minuet and he expresses interest it makes me happy that he is acknowledging and encouraging a hobby that I enjoy. If he got me doll clothes for her, I would love the gesture no matter what.

17. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      My mom enjoys my dolls and knows how much fun I have with them. She has on many occasions asked me to give her some websites where she can order clothes. I simply don't let her because she doesn't realize how much they cost and she can't afford it. I tell her to make my dolls jewelry instead.

Yes but I would never let anyone buy them for me because they are too expensive.

No. My mom ordered some items for some of my OT action figures and I still have them. I use some of the pieces because they are the right size.

Yep, I'd keep them. But again, my friends and family know how specific I am about things so I would be surprised if one of them just ordered something out of the blue without asking; especially since none of them has any clue where to even begin searching for items.

18. I would be so so grateful! I kind of have a wish list put together for such an occasion, just in case. If they didn't want to use the wishlist I'd really want to pick them out. I'm really very picky about what my dolls will wear. But I'd probably keep the clothes, whether to trade later or save until I have a doll they suited.

19. I would be happy!
      It means they don't think BJD is a strange hobby, and they are willing to know things about BJD.
      I would let my doll put on the outfit and send the photo to that friend :)

20. I think i'd be super happy. Style doesn't matter much, I'm sure some doll or another would wear it at some point for something, and tbh I would assume whoever was buying would ask for a size chart...? most people don't just buy clothes without any idea of what size to get, and even if it's a little big/snug it isn't too bad. But then I also want to hoard all of the doll clothes of all kinds and sizes for EVERY occasion. ' w'