1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you feel if someone gave you BJD clothes as a gift?

Dec 24, 2009

1. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!

i have a wide range of dolls, i'm sure that one of them will be able to make some use of whatever is given to me. If not i happen to love breaking down clothes and jewelry into custom creations anyway.

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes? (That's what I wanted them to do, I said that I wanted to pick them out.)

This is where i disagree when people say gift cards are thoughtless/useless gifts. i would LOVE a paypal gift card or a gift card to some of my favorite dolly sites.

Would you return it? Regardless of how they'd feel about that?

No. I don't return gifts no matter how ugly or horrible i find them. i just graciously accept them and put them in a special box in the back of my closet.

Besides, it's alot easier to say you'll return it and not care how they feel, until they ask to see it/your doll in it and your faced with the hurt expression/words that may follow. However unlikely it may be that that situation may occur, it's better not to intentionally do something that'll hurt someone else if they find out.

Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes?

as above, accept it, rework it, or store it.

2. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!

I'd be grateful for the thought... after all, it's kind of expensive to buy, and that they accept your dolls is sweet!

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes? (That's what I wanted them to do, I said that I wanted to pick them out.)

Probably xD;; I have weird taste.

Kyaaaa I never return gifts v_v;; it's a flaw. Even if I know they are okay with it I never do, because I feel so guilty that someone tried so hard to do something nice for me, it seems so mean to return it neh.

Or would you just appreciate their thoughts (and acceptance of BJDs) and keep the clothes?

I would probably keep them for a future doll if I liked the style but they didn't fit... or trade them with someone else who might like that style or something. Of course I'd tell the person OH this isn't quite my style, but I know someone who might like it etc etc.

3. I think in this situation, I'd be wanting to get my Mum a present for buying me BJD clothes!!! Fortunately we have very similar tastes in clothing (albeit mums is slightly less likely to show a bit of skin, but thats mothers for you!) and I'm sure I'd be happy with whatever she picked out for my Caitlin.
      I'd like to think that if she didn't know the size they needed to be that she'd ask me. In my house we'd rather know what we're getting and be happy with it than having to exchange or get refunds!

4. My sister was an EXTREMELY picky gift getter. I got a LOT of stuff handed over to me on Christmas day because it was not to her taste or liking. While this was a big win for me, I did see how much it hurt "Santas" feelings. So I say just be happy with it and if you go to a meet you can swap it with someone later down the line.

5. I would love to get BJD cloths as a present because the only friends that would get me BJD cloths as a present have BJDs themselves so they would get the right things and if my parents for some reason got some for me they would ask me where to get them and what I want.

6. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!

I would love it if my family or friends bought doll clothing for me. I have friends that are really into cosplay and my family sews, so they would probably ask about size. My grandmother actually dresses dolls and is SUPER pumped about making something for mine. I love the clothing she makes and can't wait to see what she has in mind. As to style, my girl is going to be pretty low maintenance about her appearance, so style isn't an issue.

Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes?

Nah, I'm sure they know my tastes by now.

Not in a million years would I return it or sell it unless it was too small.

See above.

7. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style! My mom would probably make me clothes, and measure my doll first cuz she's cool like that. My friends most likely would not get me clothes because they have no money or only get me hello kitty stuff.
      Well I wouldn't mind either way, seeing as my friends only get me hello kitty stuff. And my mom knows what I like ^_^
      Nope!
      I would keep it and taylor it to fit my doll or put in on a plushie.

8. I would be SO happy if someone gave me clothes for my girl, even if they don't fit! I would let them know that it isn't the right size and ask if I can exchange it(VERY POLITELY) for an outfit that does fit her, or ask them if they would rather exchange if for another outfit her size on their own.
      :aheartbea

9. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      I would be very appreciative if family or friends had thought about my hobby to where they contributed! I have a feeling they may get the wrong size, or at least spoil the surprise by at least asking me what size once they realized there are many different BJD sizes out there and how tricky it can be (especially for shoes!)

They know mine and my doll's style so I bet they would do a good job picking out stuff I would like. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

No way... I'd hold onto it, especially if it were SD (I don't have any of that size yet (only MSD), but have plans to in the future so it would be like a head start! :)

I would keep it and see what could be done with it ^answer above...

10. I'm not really sure what I would do. I would absolutely love it if my mom would get me BJD clothing but on the other hand I agree that I would be slightly afraid it would be the wrong size or something. Honestly though I'd just be really floored by how awesome it was of her to think to get me that and I'd probably just hang on to them and maybe someday a future doll would be able to use them.

11. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      I would be shocked that they went throught that kind of effort. I mean I know buying something offline isn't that hard but I more of mean that they put more thought into a gift for me then just... 'I'll get her a gift card to Kohls!' ..Not that I don't like Kohls, I really do, it's just they've both gotten me Kohls gift cards for holidays for the past like... 3 years. o.O;;;

I'd probably want to look at different stuff with my mom, since I don't think my dad would be into this, and have us pick stuff we like together, that way she feels like shes more apart of the whole gifting process. Plus I think we'd have fun.

I wouldn't. I'd feel unappreciative if I did.

Definitely keep the clothes. If they were really that bad, or didn't fit, I could probably find a way to modify them and still make it work. I like sewing anyway, and then it'd be something unique. :3

12. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      (Parents - never XD It's so unlike them that I can't even imagine this)
      Friends - highly unlikely, but for argument's sake..
      I would be very worried for their wallet and state of mind first, then slightly hopeful at the new loot, realize that they probably messed something up, then remember that there's always the marketplace XD.

Yeeeees, and for most of them, they would agree~ We're all very frugal here :)

With my current circle of friends, yes, because they would understand if it was the wrong size. If it was the wrong style however, I wouldn't return the clothes.

I'd love them to death for even thinking about getting my doll stuff XD 'Nuff said.

13. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!

Wrong size would be an issue. But the style would not be. Just because I don't want my doll to be very goth-like at all, it doesn't mean I will never dress her in darker clothes. You'd be surprised how versatile some things can be.

Yeah, that would probably what I'd do, so my parents didn't have a *_* moment. Because, knowing them, one of them would. It's not like my mom going to Kohl's and bringing back a shirt. I'd worry they stumble upon the lingerie section, and think I was a pedo, or something.

If it was a wrong size? What else could I do? If I only have an MSD, and they buy me tiny clothes, how can I make that work? (Unless I play the cunning card, and say they should buy me a doll to go with them...) but that wouldn't work.

I'd appreciate the thought, but they have to just accept there's no possible way my doll is fitting the stuff they got. It's just how it is - unless they get me a doll to go with them...

14. Do you prefer for them to just let you pick out all the clothes?
      That's what i did last christmas, I just sent my dad all the links and basically said. 'buy me this'.

I would feel really bad if I had to return something, I mean my dolls have different styles, so unless they bought me a dress or something 70cm or msd, I probaley wouldn't have a reason to dislike it. I don't think they would buy something like that without first asking me.

If the clothes didn't work, as I said above, where girl clothes, 70cm or msd sized, I would have to thank them for thinking of me, but they just wouldn't work. If they really wanted to contribute to my bjd fund, cash is perfect. I would prefer cash above all else.

15. I would be happy but would rather be given the cash so i could buy them myself.

16. I would be happy that my family cared enough to do that, really. If the clothes were the wrong style or fit I would alter them, not return them (I love sewing, but I guess I would do it to keep my relative from feeling bad too).

I guess I would prefer to pick our clothes myself just because I want everything to be perfect (which is why I sew instead of buying, even for me), but I would still go with what I said above if a relative did buy doll clothes his/her self.

17. I would be very surprised!!!! Because they're not in to it.
      But why not, it could be funny ;-)

18. I would be so surprised and really appreciate it. Hopefully they'd get the right size but if they didn't I wouldn't mind, I'd sitll be giddy. :D

19. I have never received doll clothes as a gift, but I think it would be very sweet to know that someone cares about what I love. I myself am getting some doll clothes for a friend this Christmas (she has one boy who is very nakie, and not happy about it). But I am going to take time to learn his character, the kinds of clothes she would like him to wear (and the clothes he would like to wear), before I buy anything. The plus side is that I'm very new, so she's giving me all of her favorite websites, and inadvertently showing me the kinds of clothes she likes. So on the opposite side, I wouldn't feel bad if she returned or exchanged them, as he isn't my doll. I hope to find something that matches him perfectly, but if it doesn't, I trust her to find something that does!

Oh, and she already knows that doll clothes are what I'm getting her. ....In my mind, this sort of thing is like giving someone a puppy for christmas. You need to know what they're looking for and what they need, and have their permission before you get one for them.

20. How would you feel if your parents, or friends got you BJD clothes but they know nothing about BJDs. They could get you the wrong size, or the wrong style!
      I'd just be thrilled someone in my family (aside from my sister) was actually acknowledging my love for the dolls! Granted, they probably wouldn't know the size/style I wanted, but I would take it as a kindness, and I could probably find some use for whatever they gave me. Even if it were SD size, I plan to start collecting my SDs next year, so I'd just save it for one of them :)

I would prefer that, but my mom probably wouldn't be shopping for doll clothes in the first place...

Probably not. I care too much what they think of me, and my mom would see it as a definite snub, so I'd stick a boy in it every once in a while and snap a few pictures for her. I might sell it after a few months, though, cause she would've stopped caring by then...

*See above...