1. Please check the announcement in the DOA News section. Broken links to TinyPic were noticed over the weekend, and today we confirmed they've been shutting down over the last month. Since a lot of people appear to have pictures there, be aware that Monday, 9/16/19 appears to be the last day to download your photos.
    Dismiss Notice

Hybrid discussion

Jun 14, 2018

1. Haha now that you mention it! Well atleast they have each other to lean on :p

2. I mostly own hybrids at this point. I am obsessed over proportion and height, and most of the dolls I like don't come with the measurements I want them to have. So, hybrids!

I have way too many pictures to post them all, but my favorite doll right now is made of five Ringdoll K heads, a Dollmore Model body and Soom SG jointed hands!

[​IMG]
      (this is his sleeping head)

Also I'm pretty sure there is another hybrid thread somewhere...I posted my dolls there. I just can't remember where it ended up...

3. LOL @Spuggey

He looks awesome, @VampireAngel13 . I love tall lean boys!

You know last night I was bad again. I was messing around with my Supiadoll with the new 65cm body and thinking I'd like another doll with that body, but something more mature, and I realized I had already spent the money on resin matching for some bodies at Impldoll, and decided to add a head. Supia matches close enough for me, the Fairyland resin I had Impldoll match, and now I can just hold on to that head until I can afford another body. I think it'll look really good on there :) But ugh, no more dollies! LOL

4. She's so beautiful!!

5. I currently hybrid three heads to one body. One day that will change but for now they all share my Spirit Doll proud with the Doll Legend jointed hands.
      [​IMG]
      From left to right we have Orsino, a modified DL Chimera. Sir Thomas a look-a-like sculpt from Natrume; and the last one is Æthelstahn a Dika Doll Floyer.
      [​IMG]
      I thought I'd share how each fits and matches. Orsino is the main owner/wearer of this body so him first.
      [​IMG] [​IMG]
      He fits well proportion wise but he's much pinker than the Spirit resin, the face up draws it out even more. Once he has proper clothes to wear it wont be nearly so obvious.
      [​IMG] [​IMG]
      Æthelstahn is an almost perfect fit, his resin matches near seamlessly. He;s meant to be my model doll who can wear anything, any style and not have it be out of character, so this good match is nice.
      [​IMG]
      And then we've got Sir Thomas. Hella pale in the resin and I got him in the normal variety. Also, as @Spuggey pointed out in my box opening thread for him, he does look very bobble headed on this body. Not a great fit for him to be honest. My plan is to have him one a Granado Vigor but that's really a *someday* kind of thing.

6. I really love your Orsino, @PennyForTheGuy, but I can't help seeing the patchiness of the putty you used. So I wanted to point out that you could try smoothing it out by using Apoxy Putty the picture only shows one jar - there are two... You kneed them together 1/2 and 1/2 to activate the hardening of the putty. But anyway, you can smooth that stuff out with wet fingers or tools, just like clay and after it cures, you can easily sand it. I think he is so adorable regardless, but I wanted to share in case you wanted to smooth it out a bit :)

7. [​IMG]Leg swap by SteamWitch, on Flickr
      Leg swap between Resinsoul Long (70cm) and IslandDoll SD 60cm, resulting bodies 64cm and 66cm.

8. @SteamWitch That really looks amazing, like it goes that way!

9. @SteamWitch i like resinsoul body :-) your hybrid looks nice.

10. Yay a thread about hybrids! I love seeing others take on these lovely resin creations! Currently have my eyes on wanting get a SQ Lab SDG16 body but not sure what other resin matches other then volks.

11. Thank you! The Resinsoul is an older yellowed WS and the Islanddoll is a 2013 Snow white skin that has yellowed with age. I love having these inbetween sizes, makes for more interesting photos.

12. [​IMG]
      two of my hybrids - My king Francis is blackcherry doll head nikky in normal skin but is more pink white could say and his body is impldoll idol FGB in real skin as is more peach colour so there is no colour match but with clothes on it looks not bad and girl is azalea head in special anti uv real skin witch matched not so bad with dollshe mango oriental skin ( body is classic 26F dollshe body ).

13. Oh boy, oh boy, is this the thread for me! Most of my dolls are large hybrids, most of my doll plans involve large hybrids, and I have pictures to spam so watch out. Also, I think the other hybrid thread was just a database (oh, and that one old ethics thread), but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: Found them!: Hybrids https://denofangels.com/threads/hybrid-dolls.569301/ https://denofangels.com/threads/all-hybrid-doll-_.58149/ I think that this thread is sufficiently different though.

Anywho, I have a Migidoll Ell/Beyours 65 hybrid. Went in blind since thanks to Beyours insistence on full dolls, hybrids are rare, but I got lucky and the mismatch is minuscule.

[​IMG]

And my other current hybrid is my dark tan Island Doll Sparkle/chocolate Granado Female Nuevo. Almost didn't get her because even though I was enamored with Sparkle, I wanted a girl, and Island Doll only offered the sculpt on male and gender neutral bodies. Plus, a dark tan match is a pain. But I got lucky that when I finally saved up the money, the dark tans turned out to be pretty darned closed and saved me a good bit of money. It's so nice to finally have her together.

[​IMG]

I also have an LLT Red Dove and LLT Lazuli waiting for a Guu Doll 60.5 body and boypink muscle girl body respectively.

#33 iamkathybrown, Sep 23, 2018
      Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    14. Well, only for informational purposes, not out of the box solution, but impldoll did a perfect match with my custom color order to match Fairyland's normal. I got an Aurora head last minute thinking I would one day get her a Supiadoll 65cm body because Supia matches Fairyland quite well and I really like their (freaking expensive as heck) new body, LOL.

And the fairyland match was perfect too. The problem with Fairyland is that they have that mechanism at the neck. You can buy, and I have bought, these 3d printed versions at Shapeways. They work really well, but the heads don't have much range. On my Impldoll bodies, they can't look up down or tilt their heads at all without widening the opening of the hole to allow for a little movement of the chord, but even then the head only moves a little. If you look at Fairyland's neck piece you see it all slides around on a round bead embedded in a very large rounded area in the neck. This allows for amazing movement. The shapeways gizmo only allows for easy removal and switch out of the head, which is awesome especially if you change their clothes a lot.

Ultimately, there is a reason that the Shapeways neck adapter doesn't work as well as a simple S-hook. That is, when the pivot location is at the neck as in all other dolls, the point where the chord meets and wraps around the S-hook allows the head to pivot. And as I write this, I realize I can not just turn my heads into S-hook heads, and get the same results because the S-hook would end up too far away (unless I completely modified the actual head's neck opening, which I'm not willing to do) the neck opening in the Impldoll bodies are still too narrow, and the chords come out too stiff. So as I write this, I realize my best option is to continue to use the Shapeways adapter, and modifying my Impldoll body's neck to give the adapter as much range as I can, and just be happy with it :(

But The best part about these Impldoll bodies is the price, and they pose very well. The special color order was a one time charge of $50 for all the bodies and the head, which is incredible. I don't do nude photos, so the aesthetics don't need to be perfect, and the main look of the model bodies pleases me, though I have heard others don't like it, so???

#34 IngieBee, Sep 23, 2018
    15. Just FYI, getting a lighter head and darker body is a pretty easy solution most of the time. The head is going to be painted anyway, and it infinitely a smaller area to match than a body (well, OK, not infinitely, LOL) Here are a couple of my matches. I originally bought Impldoll's normal pink bodies for my fairyland heads. The match was awful, and I wasn't about to blush an entire body to match, been there, done that with an MSD size body, and I don't want to do it again (results were blotchy and easily damaged) So I ordered resin matching, which Impldoll did a perfect job on. Now we have to see how well they age together?!

Anyways, my point is I ended up buying a white skin Fairyland doll head to match to the body, and in my unskilled craptastic hands, I think the match is pretty close! Note, the doll needs wig and clothes and probably a second try on the faceup, LOL. Also, I got an Elfdoll Hazy in snow skin, which was yellowish, but extremely light, and I still think I did an OK / pretty dang close match to the other pink body. I'm also proud of her faceup, it's my best one so far. Practice does make a difference after all!

We're used to being careful with our heads, and if you have an artist do your head, send a hand or foot with the head, the artist can almost always accommodate this adjustment :)

#35 IngieBee, Sep 23, 2018
    16. @iamkathybrown sorry, had to get all that ^^^^ out of my system, LOL But wow, you nailed it on those two!
      @Anita2006 I love those two and yes, you totally nailed it with that Dollshe body! How awesome!

17. Thanks @IngieBee ! I'm pretty pleased with them.

18. @IngieBee is always nice to hear compliments from you :-) i like how impldoll azalea head fitted dollshe body, it was miracle that i found that body on auction and in Europe so this time i won a game :-) body will stay with head permanently ( hope so )

19. That's true lol I just wanted to see what other options in have for heads but once it has a face up and wig it shouldn't be that bad. I've just seen some where they look like the same tone online then in person their way off lol and the cycle of reselling or buying starts haha!

20. Nearly all of my dolls are hybrids! Though I did just recently buy some older Dollshe bodies so my Saint heads are technically fully Dollshe now lol

Prior to putting them on Rhythmos and Pure bodies, I had one on an Akagidoll 66cm body and the other on a Doll Family-A 62cm body. The DF-A body was literally just a stopgap -- the neck was really too short for Saint and made him look much "stumpier" than he should have. But I will praise Akagidoll to the ends of the earth for use in hybridizing SD boys of all stripes -- it looked great with Saint and looks great with Aramis now, and my second Akagidoll 66cm body looks amazing with Little Rebel André (and worked proportionally with Rumpeldoll Morfeo even though the color wasn't right). :) Speaking of Morfeo, I took a lot of pics of Morf on various male bodies and found a lot of good hybrid options for it as well -- check out https://denofangels.com/threads/rumpeldoll-heads-and-bodies.774285/ for pics from lots of folks!

As long as I keep buying heads by themselves, I'll keep the hybrid train running. :)

My current hybrids:
      Aramis head on Akagidoll 66cm body
      Little Rebel André head on Akagidoll 66cm body
      Little Rebel André head on Doll Family H Nan Gong body (70cm)
      Luts Abadon head on Mirodoll 61cm body
      April Story Cheon head on Mystic Kids 62cm body
      White Luster Sylva head on Doll Family-A 62cm body
      Withdoll Eliza head on Island Doll IDF 45cm Girl Body-2