1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

I got my doll... Now what?

Feb 7, 2010

1. That's how it goes over here, too... I don't reallly sew much, or take many photographs of my crew anymore, and I've never been into writing dolly-fiction or roleplaying with them. They're mostly just silent companions. I tinker with them pretty often, but that's usually just changing poses, or brushing wigs or putting them in different outfits. I usually also have one of them somewhere close by when I'm working, web surfing or watching TV.

Right now, for instance, I have Rowan (my R.Heliot-) sitting next to me. I was just playing around with him earlier while watching a movie. Next time, I'll pick up a different one... I don't feel like I have to pay constant attention to all of them.

2. I make him (Kojirou) lay in his box and I tell myself he is sleeping :)

3. It's been five months when i started this hobby and there never been a time when i couldn't think of something to do with them even at work i'm only thinking of what should i do next when i get home

It's just so much fun to have them around

*my littel Judy is now with me at work, sitting next to my computer to show her off :P

4. Like a few others have said before me, the dolls are just plain nice to have around. :sweat
      Sometimes they're a comforting presence, sometimes they're just nice to look at... The analogy likening them to works of art is not at all far off, and given my love of sculptures and statues, just looking at my dolls makes me happy. I am not the type to get very touchy-feely with my dolls every single day. In fact sometimes they will sit on my dresser for days without being moved or held. But that doesn't mean I don't love them. Even when I'm not taking photos of them, being around them, or holding them, I take pleasure in knowing that they'll always be right where I left them, waiting for me at home.

5. I haven't played much with my doll yet as he doesn't have his head yet (I got him late December too and don't expect any sort of dollie delivery until March at the earliest). For the most part, he's laid inside his wicker box/casket he came in, hanging onto the little bunny stuffed animals I made to re-familiarize myself with sewing.

Generally, when I've taken him out, it's been for photos. But as you said you can't do that, the other thing he'll do is sit on the edge of my computer desk or in my lap while I do computer things. And then I just sort of pose him around between posts, getting used to how his body moves and what it can do.

I've a good pile of fabrics I could play with - I don't have the excuse of not having what I need to start working on clothes for him.

But assuming I were in your precise situation I'd do what I generally do - stick him in his box (or, right now he's sitting with the lid open, feet hanging over the edge) and work on earning money for his love interest and the other dolls I want. xD Or researching what dollie things I'd like to purchase in the future.

I wouldn't hate myself if he (or even future dolls) sat in their boxes or in a chair and did nothing while I did nothing towards specifically dollie stuff. xD It's no different than any of my other hobbies. I need to break from them from time to time or I get bored.

6. hmmm...when there's nothing i can do with my doll, that's gotta be because i'm doing something else (^.^)''''...i make other craft, cooking, etc...I wish i have a whole time to be my doll's slave (^o^)''''...
      once i was...then i really forgot that i still have to make other things (>.>)'''''...so, this slave became a rebel and my doll is now my slave...i sew for her only when it's her turn...hahaha...
      it's my other craft i'm doing right now...i'll be sewing for her later...

I'm sad when I just 'abandon' her...you know...i got her with some price...she's cute...and now...i just abandon her?...akh!!!!...no way!!!!...
      anyway, i'm too 'afraid' to display her on the shelf...afraid if she gets dirty or dusty (TxT)...i put her in her box most of time...take her out of it only for photo session ...may be when i finally have her has friends one day, i will play with her (and the other girls) more often...

7. Well, when i got my first i did EVERYTHING with them, took the to work, uni, shopping...
      Now i have a few to many to carry around so i just move them a lot >>;;; i go and watch tv -one will be sitting next to me, I put em to bed....etc. Just little things XD

8. i wish i have a good shelf to display them...the shelf i prepared for them is too short some how...hahaha...besides, the paint stinks quite long...akh...*suffocate mode on*

9. I really don't "use" my dolls much at all. I just got two brand new dolls at the end of the year and have barely taken any pictures of them or done anything with/to them at all. I did one Christmas thing and then they sat on chairs and they are still just ... there. Unmoved, untouched since late December.

And I don't feel bad about it. Like someone else said, do you feel bad when you aren't reading a book? Nah. You're just not reading it. The dolls aren't going to get lonely or offended if you don't touch them for a while. Putting your doll on a shelf and just appreciating it may be a sin in the eyes of some, but there is really nothing wrong with it. I swear. I have a handful of dolls and there has been no uprising, no little torches or waking up gagged and bound. I did nothing with my dolls (at that time I only had two) for over a year. They didn't implode and their clothes didn't even stain them.

10. Ha ha this is exactly what I do too!! :)

I also love to have mine beside me while I'm doing this! :D

11. My dolls are there to entertain me, not the other way around. If I don't feel like doing anything with them, then I don't. They don't have feelings, they wont care if I leave them bald and eyeless for a week. When I'm not working on them or sewing for them, I like to just have one sitting nearby so I can look at and admire it.

12. You buy a tv and when you're done watching your programs do you feel bad when you turn it off? When you're finished driving around doing errands with your car, do you feel bad for parking it in the driveway? When you finally turn off your computer do you worry about it when you're sleeping?

When there is nothing currently availible to do with your doll - should you then feel guilty in any way? When the time comes that you want to sell it because you've gotten all the enjoyment you can get from your doll do you think your money was wasted?

13. Just like northern_raven and Nefla said before me: There's more to life than dolls. ;) If I for whatever reason can't sew, take pictures, do face-ups, or play with my dolls, I can still do other things like read a book, watch a movie, paint or draw. Dolls aren't my only hobby and just as I won't feel guilty when I don't touch my paint brushes or books for a while, I don't feel guilty when I leave my dolls alone for a while.

14. um i definiatly dont feel bad for not playing with them every day...its not like a "job" to play with them, its not a pet, its a fun side hobby...i go a few days without even thinking about them

15. ...I just got my first doll early last month... and he has nothing.
      Likewise, it's been raining here, so I can't get his faceup done. I don't really have money so I can't buy him any clothes (or a wig), and I have no sewing machine nor mass amounts of free time to plan and sew him something by hand that I'll just get upset with because it looks like crap. I'd take tons of pics of him but he's totally blank and I don't have a good camera anyway.

I feel hideous because he's my first BJD, and he's been sitting here naked and bald for over two months. What DO you do? I spent almost $400 on him and all I feel is guilty for putting him through... well, absolutely nothing -.-

poor baby.

16. Well, most of the time, my two boys here are just sitting around, sooo ... nope, can't say I feel bad about that or lazy. I mean, why should I? I knew right from the start that I'm not as much into the doll hobby as others. No photo-stories, next to no sewing for them, some shopping and getting new stuff here and there, changing their clothes now and then - and that's it. I really like them but I think I just don't see why I should be doing something with them all the time.

17. There is heaps of artists offering free face ups, i know my girlfriend does :> Drop me a PM if interested ^^

18. Well like may people saysi slike having a tv or a pc....i mean when i working or going out with my friends, i am not thinking in my "poor dolls"...i mean they are dolls...i like to change their clothes, working in their stories, etc....but when i have time for this....it is not an stress for me is in two days am not making photos or making a face-up.

19. @Shin-Zo - Thanks, but I already have an artist who's going to do his faceup - she just can't because the weather won't let her :<
      (And I can't really afford shipping anyway)

20. Play with her and admire her beauty ^_^