1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

I got my doll... Now what?

Feb 7, 2010

1. This. :) I love just enjoying my dolls - I put them on a shelf where they're always visible, and it cheers me up to look at them! There's a lot to be said for the simple enjoyment of things.

2. I love to look at my dolls and change their wigs. And plan or buy outfits.

3. Yep. Enjoy. However it strikes you to enjoy.

(she says, whilst angsting horribly about Glum and Glummer, the two guys sitting on my chest of drawers waiting for faceups...)

4. I write about them- I don't really let anyone read it, but I love writing it down just for myself. ^__^ I also sit them next to each other and enjoy myself by imagining their conversations amoungst each other- (I know it sounds odd, but it's really interesting, and it definitely kills an hour with nothing else going on...)

5. I must admit, before I got my little Izzy-chan, I was at a loss as to what to do with her. But the day she came, it had quickly occurred for me that she is almost a companion type of thing. After seeing her for the first time, all the previously planned names fell through etc, and whatever I had brought and/or done for her since; all were only performed when they felt exactly right for her. lolz I never thought that this would occur, but she seems to have a personality of her own in the sense that I don't buy for her what I want, but what feels right for her. lolz I brought her some white boots that fail to go with all of her outfits. XD But she wanted them, so I got them. :sweat

Anyway, I'm the type to uber cuddle/sit close to my boyfriend and best friend to the point where they feel a bit on the smothered side; so they get a break when Izzy sits with me instead. lolz Also, when they are busy, Izzy will always be here. I like her presence, I really do.

~Gemi

6. I shop. Shop for props (like tiny items such as soda and beer bottles, books, swords, anything that's in scale - very fun), furniture, clothing, wigs - and I shop with a bargain hunter's mindset - so it's never easy and always challenging and always rewarding when I finally do cave and buy something! I love looking through clothing and shoes. I love looking at new sculpts, checking out DoA, and looking at gallery posts. For example, I'm currently away from home, studying - so I don't have my dolls with me. While I do miss them, I'm still interested and buying things and still keeping a hand in the hobby, despite my hectic schedule.

There's always something to do, it seems!

7. Honestly, I rarely do anything with my doll. I didn't buy her to play with or spend time with. I bought her because she was beautiful, and I wanted to have her on display. That's enough for me - they are simply a beautiful decoration.

Although I do like to hold her and pose her and dress her and all that too, it's just not my main concern.

8. Hm... I haven't had this problem before. If I don't feel like doing ANYTHING with him then I put him in his drawer. If I just feel like having him around he will sit with me while I do things or watch TV minding his own business, just keeping me company. I did not get him to take up all of my time. Even with real people, I cannot spend every waking hour being with or even thinking about my boyfriend, why should an object be any different?

9. Just remember how much work it took to get the doll, and jsut staring at the doll always works too.

10. I'm usually working on him in SOME way- be it in my mind or on paper, but when I'm not actively working on him (sewing/photographing, etc..) I just like to have him around me to be a sort of companion. He's just nice to look at, and makes me feel better after a long day of boring. I play with him when inspiration strikes, but, otherwise, he's just a feel-good kind of thing, and I love it ^__^

11. I don't feel bad. Usually, when I'm not fussing with them, I'll have them on their shelf or maybe in their box, depending on who it is and the situation. I do feel bad when they have to go without eyes/wig or something for a while, though.

12. They sit on my shelf and look pretty... I can understand the "bad owner" mentality but they don't physically live. They exist inside our minds and imagination so I don't feel bad if they sit there for a while. They're just really pretty to look at and nice to have.

After thinking about it though, I do actually have a lot of free time that could be used to make new clothes for them... >< But for me, I don't freak out so much after a doll has gotten his/her proper face, eyes, and wig. =) It's a process but I don't feel pressure to have to do or make something for or with them.

13. My f16 sits on a shelf all the time because I'm a... "contemplative" owner.
      I can't sew and I'm too lazy to do mods or photoshoots.
      I don't really "play" with him so he just sits in front of me and looks pretty ._.

14. Nope, I don't feel bad at all. In fact there're more days when I'm not actively involved with my dolls than those when I am. But I keep them in my livingroom so I'm always surrounded by them & can simply enjoy their beauty.

15. I do not to get to see mine while I am out to sea and this in general does make me feel pretty bad. I feel like I should have someone watch them but I am afraid they will mess them up.

16. Me too! My dolls actually get ignored alot!* :( But I am thinking about them through out the day, a good portion of the day actually. lol! I really enjoying planning outfits, their house(I have tinies), internet-window shopping, looking at others dolls, and looking at potential new family members! hehe! <3
      *I don't mean to ignore them, and I guess I do feel kind of bad since I'm justifying why they are ignored, it's just I really hate taking pictures, I do!! And I enjoy dressing them, but since I just recently got my Lati yellow, and she doesnt have many clothing options at the moment. And I have baby Ian cherry blossom and he likes being nakey! :D
      And since I don't have a cat-proof see-through box, I can't set them up with all my re-ment either. :( But when I do that will be most likely what I am doing. I also really enjoy taking them out and about with me, which I never did with my pullips, something about tiny bjds, its just so fun to bring them and sit them out where ever you are. :D And they reside in my bedroom on a bookshelf by my bed so I go up to them and touch them and re-display them in a new way. And I love just sitting and looking at them, they make me sooooo happy. <3

17. I know I just posted, but I didn't see this the first time. I never thought of it that way, thank you! I feel better now.

18. I just really enjoy looking at them everyday. They fascinate me.

Then when the urge strikes, I love photographing them and creating sets for their photoshoots. Of course, like others have said, a huge part of the hobby for me is planning, getting ideas, and searching for just the right prop, accessory, etc. Not to mention the joy of planning and executing a face-up for a character.

19. I don't ever play with my dolls.
      I only touch them to change them.
      I see them as works of art and display them.

20. Why not just spend time developing their personality.
      Or talking to them - Maybe not like your having a two way conversation , but forming a bond.
      You want bond with them in simple ways too.
      Like watching a movie , on having them with you while on the computer.
      And every once in a while , just set them down and walk away.
      I'd imagine you'd need space from them , and them from you. XD