1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

I remember when...

Sep 27, 2005

1. I remember when there was no Den of Angels. :lol:

I remember when D&H were receiving their very first ever shipment of Volks SD after interest from enough US customers to order some in. There was no DoA, and SDDreams (the first SD mailing list in English) was just being created. There were NO websites in English with SDs AT ALL. The only way to order an SD at that point (what with D&H just starting to get them) was through Minako at FrillFrill.

Oh, and there were no SD boys. Period. Licht was first released at the end of that year, as I recall, but there were only 50 of him to begin with. Up until that point, all SD owners who wanted boys were buying girl SDs and sanding off their boobs. I remember browsing websites with instructions on how to sand off boobs, and what were the best other places to sand to make the body more masculine -- and also how to attach peenis, if you were feeling really adventurous. :wink:

And yeah, of course, there were no Korean companies making BJDs at that time either. It was Volks or nothing.

I remember when they first brought out SD13 boys, and how excited everyone was. And when they introduced FCS, with those two brand new F-28 and F-29 heads, gosh!! How we all desperately waited for Japanese owners to buy them just so we could get our first glimpse at those new heads!! (I even remember the pic that sold me on the F-29. *grin*)

Man, those were the days. ;)

2. LOL! Man, Ken, you remember well! Heck, I remember our debate about buying a Nono between us and time-sharing her. *laugh*

Of course, that was a long, long time ago. Then they brought out the boys and I was a goner.

And now, if I ever WERE to get a girl (a prospect I find unlikely) I've been totally sold on a different one entirely. So I'm afraid the Nono dream will never become a reality! But that's okay, I can always look at Nono-Anne and smile and remember fondly. :)

3. And that discussion was my turning point. Once I realized I was indeed prepared to buy part of a Nono, I realised I was also quite prepared to buy ALL of a Nono, so I did :)

Ken

4. I remember when Leechy first told me about these doll, over two years ago, and I was like O_O;; I remember when she posted a link to luts korean site and showed me El (who was to become Luciel) and I thought his nose was ugly XD Well I've known about BJDs in two years, but only had an interest in them a year or so.

5. I remember that too. When I bought Haruhiko I think they were starting to go through the transition from CP to Delf.
      And wow, I remember when Chiwoo was the only luts boy and you could get NO INFORMATION on him.

6. I don't remember much about companies and released, but I do remember when Cacau had just ordered Chocolate. I think it was August/September(?) 2004.

7. Actually, first week of August I think.... or last week of July.....
      Amazing feeling...
      I remember a lot of people in the waiting room....

8. Is there an actual chronology of BJD history available anywhere? I mean, with dates and listings of when stores were first opened and dolls first offered and groups and websites first put online? That would be cool to see!

I've only been into BJDs for less than a year, but I first saw them years ago--just unpainted heads being offered now and then on Ebay. At that time I knew I liked the sculpts, but I was too busy to try and hunt down very expensive parts of dolls that I'd have to order through services from Japan, and then still have to assemble, paint and then find clothes and wigs to buy!!! When I came into the hobby last year I saw that there were tons of websites and Ebay auctions to make things SO much easier. The price was still shocking, but much less of a barrier because I knew I could actually get a complete doll and accessories over time, instead of maybe hunting around forever!

Even in the year I've been watching things have changed quickly--with more English websites and branches opening in other countries, and new doll-makers and many more Ebay auctions. It's amazing!

9. Ok, I'm replying to this as I read through, so pardon if these don't make any sense at this point in the thread. >,<

Haha! Majenta... I remember CustomHouse being the only English site too. XD

I remember the old AR... but I can't think of what pictures you could be talking about for the life of me. O,o... I definitely lack a photographic memory.

I remember when Souldoll was brand new and only sold dolls to the US on eBay. Anyone else remember their cat-dolls?

Kiya... You remember Ian? That's freaking awesome... I remember when Ian was just a name on SuperDollfie.org and had no picture. I always wondered what she looked like, and now I want one... mostly out of curiosity, but she's really kinda cute.

And April... I think a chronological history of BJDS, including individual companies and their full histories and release dates would be AWESOME. I'd love to gather the info this summer if someone else wants to make the website for it. XD

10. I remember a time when there were less Els. It's like, one third of DoA's population isn't human: it's El. XD. There really *IS* an army. @_@.

At that time, there were ALOT of Toos and Bee-As arriving as well. I mean, A-*LOT*. They were everything in the Marketplace, too. *_*. It was a couple months, maybe, before the mad rush for the DoD Guardian boys.

I thought we were gonna go through a period like that again just a few weeks ago, (The Too and Bee-A period) but they're only average on the sell once more. <3.

Also, everyone's DP12 Dolls were just arriving after I joined the forum. It was magical. XD. I hated Jun then but loved Isao. Now it's the other way around, because Isao no longer fits my tastes and is about as homely to me as a troll baby. XD.

I also remember seven pages of doll stuff on ebay. Now there's fourteen+, *not* include the annoying BUY IT NOW pages of lists. <3.

I remember when Dollmore wasn't in english.

I remember Dollfie Bid, and how short lived that was.

I also remember somethng particularily painful happening to my body at one point during that era, but that's unrelated to dolls.

Edit: OH YEAH! I REMEMBER WHEN I WASN'T AN ARSE. I WAS SUPER SWEET AND SUGAR COATED AND EVERYTHING:D! BUT I WASN'T FUNNY EITHER. NOW I'M HONEST. :D! (I was a twit. I sure wish you guys had grinded me into the pavement or something. Taught me a bit of a lesson. I know I must've been annoying as hell...as if I'm not now. ;).)

(seriously, it was *so* sad, I can go back to the VERY first posts I pictured and although I had glimpses of how I am now, I was alot different. So were alot of people. I can watch my attitude slowly shift and gear towards what it is now. I matured. *Kinda*. So have alot of people. More than 'kinda', though.)

AND I REMEMBER WHEN I DIDN'T HAVE A DOLL.

I remember when we first got user titles and I was so thrilled I was finally a Senior Member. XD. i changed it right away though, my nickname thing; mine was 'Sexiest Member' before this.

AND I REMEMBER MY PENGUIN ICON.

'sup internet? 8D?

(okay, okay, I'm getting over-stimulated. sorry.)

11. I was one of the orginal 25 to get Kaede in the US....

I also remember selling my MSD Yuni (which I also bought from Volks) to pay for her....

Oh yes, and I do miss D&H so, I feel kinda bad that they can't carry Volks anymore.

I remember there being just a few pages of dollfies on Ebay and ANY Gothic Lolita outfit went for at least $75.00 (we are talking outfits that would go for under $20.00 now)

12. I remember the time when you thought you looked like a Lishe. <3

13. I remember justifying my Volks 1/6ths to my father by arguing that they weren't SDs. Then justifying my original MSD (ordered from D&H back in the days of the e-mail preorder list) saying "Well, he's not that bad, Dad. Some people have the big ones. Like THREE of them." I have never bothered trying to explain my considerably-more-than-three SDs.

I remember being in love with Chris and Lucas and not being able to tell them apart. I also remember not being able to tell Sasha apart from them, except by searching for a skinnier neck and boobs. I was intrigued and scandalized that both genders were anatomically correct.

I remember when Bermann was the only 70cm doll you could get. And no one seemed to be exactly sure how you got him. I think only one person on DoA had him. I remember being intrigued and scandalized by the attention to detail on Bermann's groin.

I remember beligerantly sticking to the spelling "aesthetics" rather than "esthetics" because I didn't know where the word was coming from. I don't remember what I referred to a face-up as.

14. Oh god! I remember that too! Lucas and Chris and F28 especially. I could only figure out Sasha because she was the only one that looked like them except she had boobs. Then people started making F28/F16 girls and *that* recognition flew out the window. Ha, ha ha.

I couldn't tell ANY Volks boy apart except that:

Link- one with huge forehead
      Syo- looks like Megu
      F29- has a smile
      every other Volks boy- isn't smiling

I had so much trouble distinguishing Volks boys. @_@. How did I ever learn? :O!

Also: I remember when SoulDoll released the new boy bodies, and a general edition Paris.

And of course, I remember when they were F28s and F29s, not F16s and F17s. That change really got me for awhile.

15. I remember when Isao came out...^^;;

16. I've only been into the hobby for a little while so I don't really have many entertaining memories, I remember thinking today that I bought a DoD before they were all over the place, but then again, I didn't even venture to DoA until last July ^^;

I remember when I said I was just going to get one doll--then changed it to two. Now I'm up to 10 on my list (already have 4 of them, though two are going to change...)

I also remember saying I am absolutely not ever going to own an SD-sized boy---um, I lied on that one, I'm saving up for an SD-size as soon as I buy my second to last mini ^^;

Hmmm...I can't remember anything else unique, but it's fun to read all the posts from the owners who have been into this hobby forever ^_^ Maybe one of these days I'll be able to do something similar...

17. I imagine you will. I remember the day when I was the last joined member on DoA's memberlist. And now I'm like, older here than 1000 of the users. O_o;;. How'd that happen?

18. Ahh, this is a fun threat to read and to remember...

I remember when i opened an account with YJA back in 2001, although didn't dare to bid for doll until late 2003.

I remember the first doll i fell in love with was a F27 head normal skin boy. at the time there were a lot of four sister heads around but i wasn't that interested in girls. i adored chris and lucas 1st version...

I also remember there was a time when full set custom was extremely popular on YJA. customizers not only do the makeup, but also clothing, wig, shoes so on. those were beautiful dolls (all those chris and lucas), and i still wish there were more of those kind of auctions around. nowadays most customizer just custom the head... =)

I remember joining yahoo group, and then got my first doll ever (Sasha), also ordered from customhouse as soon as their english site opens...

I remember ordering luts through agents before their english site opened...

It's amazing to remember...

19. Ohyes, so do I. That was the day that broke me XD Feels so long ago, and it was only... one? two years ago?

20. I remember when Minako (Frill Frill) and Crescent Shop were THE sources for SD's, which were pretty much the only BJD's out there. No online Volks shopping, and D&H hardly ever got anything in!

I remember when Volks first released their Super Dollfie 13's, I fell in love with Megu13 and was *this* close to buying her instead of Nono for my first doll.

I remember when D&H had Shirou sitting there on their website for ages, but $900+ seemed so expensive and I had absolutely no interest in boy dolls. *smacks self*

I remember the Time Before Boy Dolls. lol.