1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

I take issue with the term 'Random Eye Color'! Do you?

Jan 8, 2012

1. they don't pick out eyes specially for their dolls because "it would suit him/her best". after all, eyes are a free gift. they don't have to send any at all! I know companies that don't or make you pay for random eyes. and they can't just GUESS that YOU do not like blue eyes :/

like many have said, it's often fun to see what colours you will get :D I got eyes with my iplehouse Dexter that I would have NEVER thought of buying, but I love them so much I kept them for another doll :) I am grateful most dolls come with eyes at all. companies don't OWE it to us to give us all the little free accessories we desire! <.<

2. I don't have a problem with it. They're free and a nice addition to the doll so, just in case, you don't have to deal with them being eyeless. These dolls may be costly items and we may be able to pick and choose parts and jointing but, to be honest, that's because we're paying for those things as part of the actual doll. Free eyes are always a pleasure when I get them, just to see what the company thinks the default eye size should be so I know whether to go up or down in the size. But the company doesn't have to send them or even offer them at all. So I guess I'm just not seeing the point in complaining about them.

3. Honestly, and I don't think I'm alone, I like to choose my own eyes for my dolls. To
      me it's all part of creating/customizing YOUR doll. I usually enjoy the "hunt" for the
      perfect eyes!! And I'm partial to urethane eyes, which DON'T come cheap or free.
      Maybe companies shouldn't presume that everyone will simply use different eyes
      anyway, but my guess is that they DO figure that. Also as was mentioned, random
      eyes are often FREE....in those cases where they are not free, a kind request for a
      particular color will usually get you what you want.

The ONLY time I take issue with "Random eye color" is when I'm buying a fullset LE
      doll and I happen to like the eye color shown in the promotional pictures and low &
      behold THOSE eyes are not going to come home with my doll :(
      Comparing glass or acrylic eyes to a car color though? I think there's a huge $$ gap
      there and NO I would NOT accept an actual mistake. But it also doesn't upset me to
      get "random eyes"....I'm usually just happy my dolls arrive in one solid piece :)

4. I just want to point out, some companies will give you the eye or wig type and colour you want if you kindly request it. They may not, but sometimes some of them do.

5. Not to reply AGAIN so soon but I love picking out eyes as well. I especially love when it randomly clicks what eyes I should get my dolls. Most are glass, one has cheaper-end urethane, and some have very lovely acrylic. I even, weirdly enough, have a doll who kept the free eyes that came with him (the brown matched his tan skin so well). :D

That aside, these dolls are for customizing. I didn't read all the comments before posting my comment but, in looking back, I agree with Hominivorax. If the free eyes aren't to ones liking, there are a range of companies/individuals who can make/sell the eyes one is looking for. And in ALL price ranges. I just bought the most beautiful acrylic eyes and they were $10 a pair. And I KNOW there are cheaper. I guess I extra don't see the big deal.

Also, just to point out what others have stated, requesting a certain eye color might work in your favor. I haven't done it yet, since I plan from the start to buy different eyes, but I have seen box openings where people have mentioned they requested a certain color and got it. It never hurts to try. :D

6. Many here seem to misunderstand my point. The eyes, in my case, were NOT a freebie, free gift, or a plus. They were listed as 'included with the set' when you bought the doll. If they are to be an item that the company includes as part of the package that is advetised for purchase, then like other options, you should have the ability to choose them also. I stand by my stance on this. Like some have stated here, if they are out of the color you want, then fine, that option should say 'sold out' or 'unavailable' and you will move on to the next color.

Once again, this is not a $9.00 Barbie we are talking about. If you as a company are going to advertise eyes as part of the deal, then the paying customer should have the right, at this price point, to eyes of their choice! Everyone is entitled to the way they feel and we all have oprinions. Some of you may feel that I should be greatful for eyes; however I disagree and agree to disagree with those who feel differently!

7. But you're still not paying extra for them. I doubt the doll would cost less if the eyes weren't part of the package. And again, you can sell them if you don't want them.

8. I guess I still don't see the problem. If I don't like the eyes which, in re-reading your first post, were $6, I didn't lose much money and I can easily replace them either by buying new ones or trading for the color I actually wanted. These companies probably only have a set number of each color/set of eyes and, since they probably don't want to start out disappointing a lot of people by not being able to provide the color they asked for, they chose to leave it at "random eye color" so it's fair for everyone and no one gets special treatment and everyone has the same odds.

9. I'm going to echo the free thing, but also, a lot of the time, if you add in the comment box you'd like a certain color, some companies will give you the color you request. They're very accommodating in most situations. Plus, it would probably add ages longer for all the requested eye colors to be sorted into the proper doll box, and slow down production times- which means you wait longer for your dollie. It's so much easier to just pick up a pair and stick them in, then pass it along.

Considering these, it doesn't bother me that they're giving random eyes. I don't think it would bother me anyway- chances are, they may not have the eye color I want for a doll anyway. Why not just get the eyes and be grateful I got any at all, especially if they're already included in the price?

10. I think I understand you, Mariano, but I've only had one iple doll with the *option* to have the pictured fullset eyes. I still had to pay for them because they were urethane Enchanted Eyes. If they are able to offer those specific eyes, it will be one of the options you can list. My guess is they bought a ton of that color specifically to do that. My other iple has the acrylic eyes from his picture, but that was sheer luck.

I have not felt the urge to request a particular eye color, but it doesn't bother me. I'm just glad they offer free eyes at all! I thought that all companies did until I saw a Soom box opening! Good thing I saw it and ordered some eyes 'cause my kiddos all came eyeless, lol. XD I didn't choose to pay for the eyes from their sets.

11. Well I like really nice quality urethane eyes so I don't mind what they send, I won't be using them. I would prefer no eyes and a tiny price break though, same goes for wigs and any clothing, I don't want them.

12. If they let you select the eye color, there is the chance the wrong eye color gets sent and they would have to deal with all that drama, for something that is a 'free gift'.

13. I understand your point, and agree, it sure would be nice to be able to pick out an eye color, if eyes are listed as part of the package. I'm certain that the price of the included random eyes are factored into the price of the doll, unless the company specifically lists the eyes as "free".

However, I actually like the randomness because I never use the eyes that get sent with the doll (unless it's a full-set). Well, there's only one exception - when I purchased my Angel Elf Soo from Luts in 2004, she got shipped with gorgeous urethane eyes, which she wears to this day. Other than this very random exception, my non full-set dolls all have eyes that I chose specifically for them. The nice thing about randomness for me is that I now have a full box of eyes of all different colors - some of the colors I got with dolls I would have never purchased (yellow, red, etc.). They are nice to have as references for when I am picking out an eye color for a new doll.

Also, as others have mentioned, many companies will try and accommodate you if you request a specific color or size. For one of my recent dolly purchases, I politely requested that a certain eye color and size be sent, and, the company actually did send me the eyes I wanted. I usually request colors that I don't already have.

Finally, the option of selling eyes is always there :)

14. I actually thought blue was the standard "random" color. LOL. The one time I got dolls with "random eyes," that's what both of them had.

@Mariano G: I can't exactly picture the kind of set up you're describing. The closest I can think of is a fullset, and in that case the company has already picked everything out for you. If there are any aesthetic options it is only what or whether or not you even want a faceup or the fullset outfit. So it makes sense, to me, that they would pick out the eye color, even if it was random.

And if I'm totally wrong about what you're describing... Do their other dolls also come with random eyes? If all of their dolls, dressed or otherwise, come with random eyes, then I would just consider it the company's common practice.

They're free eyes - the company doesn't have to send them. Many companies don't carry eyes or offer this service at all. I really don't consider "random eyes" to be an industry standard - it's just something that some companies do.

I actually prefer when my dolls come WITHOUT eyes! Most of the doll companies I order from (if they carry eyes at all) don't carry the colors or types I'm looking for. I like shopping for doll eyes and often buy random colors that just catch my fancy, even if I don't have a doll who would wear them.

15. So are you proposing some kind of uprising over "random eyes"? I'm just not sure
      what the point is :sweat As others have said, myself included, you CAN request what
      color eyes you prefer, and since many don't, it often works in your favor when you
      do. And if you prefer a particular company you CAN always write them, politely, &
      ask them WHY they only offer random colors. Personally I've NEVER bought a doll
      and paid for random eyes, I buy from Soom which tells you what eyes are with the
      doll but you choose to buy them or not, or Fairyland which does says random...but
      they are already included in the cost etc.
      I DO agree with you that if you are paying for the eyes you should be able to choose
      the color, and in those cases I would simply write in the order form or on the Q&A
      board saying please send me this color ;)

16. I don't care, honestly. They're a freebie, and I'm probably not going to keep them anyway (unless by some unbelievable stroke they happen to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and even then they probably won't be because I favor high-end urethanes). I figure they're just a nice gesture from the company, a thank-you. They don't have to send eyes at all. Besides, if you don't like the color, you can just resell them and get what you wanted in the first place. It's certainly nothing I would lose sleep over.

Nobody's entitled to anything, really. If you purchase a doll and it says in the description 'random pair of eyes', then I expect a random pair of eyes. That's what they said they were sending. The only time I'm entitled to anything is after I send them my money, and at that point I'm entitled to an intact doll in perfect condition in the sculpt and skintone I ordered. Beyond that? It's all gifts, and I think it's sweet that companies are willing to offer freebies in the first place.

17. I just figure I'm paying for the doll itself and any extras they want to give me I am thankful for.

18. If anyone purchases something after reading all the print (and even if they don't read it all) they are agreeing
      to the terms the seller or company has established. If they don't agree it is not an obligation to commit to buy,
      just like it's not an obligation for acompany to give the customer choice of eyes if they have specified otherwise
      and the customer still went through with the purchase. (:

It has never bothered me that eyes are sent random because I have read what comes with my dolls before I purchase
      and eyes have never being the reason why I bought the dolls I own. I believe most companies include eyes as part of
      the "set." It's rare for a company to list eyes as free. At least I never seen eyes listed as free but have seen them as
      what is included with the doll (meaning probably included in the price aswell).

- Enzyme

19. Out of 11ish purchases of dolls/doll parts, I've only gotten to choose the eyes twice. And that was because the dealer had a buy a doll, get two pairs of eyes free event. XP

I like the random choice, personally. My incoming dolls have their "proper" eyes waiting when they come home, so it doesn't matter if the company sends eyes that ~suit~ my doll or not. One of my favorite things about ordering from Impldoll is seeing what sorts of eyes I'll get, because they always send crazy colors and types. I give the fantasy type eyes to my sister since I won't use them, so I don't see it as a loss at all.

Also, I dunno, after spending $200, $300 on a doll, $6 eyes seems sort of inconsequential to me. If I was in the position to drop $1000+ on a single doll, I wouldn't even care.

20. The only complaint you can have in regards to the eyes you receive with your dolls is if they are not the ones advertised as coming with the doll. If they say random eyes, and you receive random eyes, you have received the eyes the company promised you. The company is not at fault.

Honestly, I'd be happy if they just didn't bother including eyes because it's just something else I have to get rid of since I don't like low end eyes for my dolls.