1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

I take issue with the term 'Random Eye Color'! Do you?

Jan 8, 2012

1. Theyre free, theyre usually cheap quality and I usually sell them on so I can get the eyes I want. However I have suggested to companies in the notes if they have any of so and so colour could they include them, most of the time they have!

2. No, it doesn't bother me at all. I always figured the eyes were an included freebie, and even if they are added to the price of the doll it's so negligible that it doesn't matter. None of the companies that I've bought from have the type of eyes or colors that I want anyway. And as it's been mentioned getting random eye colors might give you a chance to see colors that you may not have normally bought yourself. Instead of looking at it as a hindrance try looking at it as an opportunity. And in the end if you don't like what's included in the package then don't buy the package, it's not like companies are trying to pull one over on us, they tell us exactly what we'll get. It is then up to us to decide if it's exceptable or not. If it isn't for you then don't buy.

3. I always ask for brown eyes, I always receive brown eyes when random eyes are included. And I have bought from a LOT of companies, they always honour the request.

Then, I put my own higher quality glass eyes in the doll and keep the eyes in a box and forget about them.

I'm a little confused as to how a nice gesture of the doll company giving you a cheap pair of eyes to use until you get the ones you want to use could ever be a problem.

4. Totally. I've always seen the eyes as free, and you just buy the other pair you want. It's a surprise! *squee* Though I do usually try to contact the company and see if they can put in the eyes I'd like as the free ones... Plus, you can always then buy an inexpensive pair as your "other" eyes anyhow...

5. I prefer to pick my dolls eyes separately when they arrive. Sometimes they come with a default and stay and some I keep for my other girls. I own lots so they like to share.
      I personally am hooked non ED eyes ( I have not dared by Dollflower I seem doom impending)and I am slowly getting rid of all my "non essential" pairs of eyes.
      Everyone likes free stuff. I got a necklace one time from Sadol and it is my favorite item. It does not take much to impress me lol I will say I do not use acrylic eyes and I often give these away to friends when they want or need them or I just include them as a freebie. Freebies are fun.

6. This. All of this. Is the OP seriously raging because the company didn't give her a freebie that's exactly what she wants? Really? I always thought those eyes were only meant to reduce the "ahhh creepy eyeless doll" factor during box openings. I'm delighted when a company includes any freebie with my purchase. That includes things I don't even use, like cheap eyes and candy. It's a gesture of good will and I treat it as such.

7. I just always saw them as something free and I figured I would be replacing them with glass eyes anyway. (I always suspect that the random eyes would be brown eyes too) Now my Minette....she didn't even come with eyes so I had to provide them (Luckily I had an extra pair of glass eyes)

8. I always thought they were freebies too. Just something nice the company threw in so when you get your doll and open the box you don't have some eyeball-less doll staring at you.

I've never kept any of the default eyes my dolls came with as I also like the higher end glass eyes or urethanes but they're really nice to use temporarily while the eyes I did order for the doll are being made.

When I order Bee-A and Too a while ago I once requested that if it was possible that I'd like green eyes for Too and they gave him green eyes :aheartbea.

9. I don't like Random Eye color. I think it would be really great if they did offer the option of choosing eye colour. My first doll arrived with truely awful cold reptilian looking grey/ black eyes. It sort of put me off of him really. He did not seem like the being I had envisioned.With all of the other options doll companies make available, I really think that they should offer a choice. It wouldn't even have to be from a huge selection of colours, just the basic human normal range ( of blue, green, hazel, and brown ) would do in my opinion.

10. You could have requested a specific colour if you wanted something in particular. While it's not an 'official' choice most companies DO try to accommodate those requests without needing to make it another option. They can't have known you'd hate the eyes they put in your doll, they're not mind readers and as someone else mentioned they're including something, the production of which is out of their control as only a few doll companies make their own eyes, can you imagine the drama and the crap they'd get if they had to delay dolls to wait for eyes to come in?
      If you didn't like the eyes you can easily buy the exact ones you want, there are so many eye options out there and the emphasis of the hobby is on customization after all...

11. Every time I politely requested a specific eye color (and, in some instances, even size!) with my order, I was always sent what I asked for. The companies want you to like the ordering experience/process, after all, and if they have the eyes you want in stock, most will comply :)

The OP hasn't responded in a while now, but I hope that he/she will try and request a specific color during next order, as others suggested.

12. I don't mind the thought of random eyes. They are freebees, after all :) They could also be a very nice color. It's all so random and completely surprising. Who knows, you might actually like a random color they pick. It also doesn't hurt to request a certain color when you buy the doll.

13. I have been reading this thread since it was posted and I agree with all the sentiments stated. That the eyes, even if they are factored into the total cost of the doll, are for all tense an purposes free. And really don't amount to much of the total cost to even be worth all of this drama.

This is a hobby built around the concept of customization. The reason I love this hobby is because I get to chose eye color, hair color, makeup and clothes, as well as can mod these dolls til my heart is content.

Why quibble about the fact that you can't chose the color of your $6 random eyes, when in fact you can if you only ASK the company nicely? They just may accommodate you.

14. The OP hasn't deigned to respond to anyone unless it was someone reinforcing/validating his entitlement. Clearly he isn't interested in a dialogue on the issue. Regardless, I hope this thread has given him any number of suggestions on how to handle things in the future when ordering a doll. :)

15. Nope, it is what it says on the tin. "RANDOM eye colour" which means you're gunna end up with a RANDOM eye colour.

16. O-M-G... what an immature, pointless rant!! The point of this hobby is the customise your purchase. You know what you are getting when you hit 'buy'. There is no flaw with the term 'random eye colour' as that is exactly what you get! I have never seen a company with dolls that were a few dollars cheaper because they didn't include eyes... so I take it as a sort of 'start-up' bonus if they are included. The only 'default' eyes I've ever kept were my AiL boy. They sent them to me for free with a wig too as I had just missed a sale event - by coincidence both were EXACTLY what I wanted. Should I have thrown a little tantrum if they weren't?! :? I also once asked Leeke for brown eyes with a doll I ordered but I got purple. I shrugged it off and bought the eyes I wanted. No big drama... some people just like to find reasons complain I guess :|

17. Oh wow, this is THE most hilarious little foot stamping hissy I have seen for quite some time and given the general levels of entitlement this hobby suffers from, that's saying something! Congrats, I believe you may actually have hit the top ten most ridiculous threads ever and pleasingly reminded me why I no longer work retail.

Everyone else already attempted logic here, so I'mma just go with gut reaction since the sensible answers are laid out beautifully in the thread.

It's a cheapo pair of $6 eyes, why do you CARE so much?! This isn't a quality control issue, they're not ripping you off by sending out a shoddily made doll, they're giving you a GIFT, that's a nice thing, not something that deserves a full on teddy out of the pram wail. Sling them in the sales box and suck it up. Really not the end of the world as we know it.

18. I really appreciate the fact the eyes are random.
      Choosing the colour is too difficult.

And if I don't exactly like the eyes they sent or if they don't fit the character, I'm not disappointed/frustrated because I didn't choose them. :)

19. Sure, I would like to pick the eye color I guess, but I always thought the eyes were a free thing so was the random wig and I'm very thankful I even get those. I have never requested a certain eye color because it really isn't a big deal to me. If I wanted different eyes that badly I'd sell the ones I got and get new ones. Depending on which eyes you want, you can get nice quality ones for a pretty good price.

They are free eyes you can't complain when you get something for free. lol

20. When I purchased my DOD Shall- she came with random eyes. I'm actually in love with the color she came with! It really suits her. I like the random eye factor because it is fun not knowing exactly what eyes you'll be getting...and you can always buy another color eye and sell those if you do not like them.