1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea in mind, or just browsing?

Sep 9, 2007

1. Raising hand as a 'browser' here!

I browse everywhere - doll shops, Y!JP, newsgroups, live journals - until I see dolls that just take my breath away. I then add them to my list of all the sculpts/dolls I particularly like. Come the day I have enough money to buy I try to pick from that list.

Of course that leads me back to the shops and MORE browsing! :)

Gary

2. I browse with purpose.

My first (and still only) doll was 'cause I fell in love with his head mould, then he showed up and turned out to be an old character of mine. And he's helped me a lot in writing his tale. So now I want his partner next, and I went looking specifically for him. Now that I've actually seen BJDs in person I have a better ability to translate the screen image into how the doll will look in my head, so I can search with purpose.

Of course, a lot of my wishlist is based on "Wow, that doll is gorgeous. Will it fit any of my characters?" And fortunately my character list is very long, I have eight (I think) stories that I am actively (slowly) writing and half a dozen more that are on the back burner, generally with one to four key characters that I would like doll assistance with (though one of them has eight). Once I identify a potential doll for a character it goes on my wishlist, prioritized by how much I really want to get that story written. Dolls that don't seem to fit anybody get stuck on the end of the list.

Funny part, no particular doll has grabbed me for 'love at first sight', it always grows on me as I look at them successive times.

3. I'm a definite browser & all too often an impulse buyer. I seldom know what I want until it jumps out at me & screams "Take me home!" But then I'm not trying to match a pre-formed character, just looking to fill a niche in my family. I'll often have a vague idea like a tan doll, a boy, a girl, someone quirky looking, etc. Then I look around until someone speaks to my heart & go from there.

4. I don't have a doll yet, but I like male dolls. And ones that aren't excessively girly, which, as it seems... are hard to find. I'm slowly getting used to the girly guy dolls, and I really like the Shiwoo and Ruth, though I'm not sure if Ruth is male of female.

In any case, I want a mold that will give me a lot of control as to how my doll looks, and something flexible, because my tastes change a LOT.

<3

5. If I'm looking for a body of a character I have a definite idea in mind. When it just comes down to wanting a pretty doll, I tend to browse more and see what catches my eye. However, I end up looking at so many doll pics here when I'm not in doll buying mode, that I often have a few dolls tucked away in the back of my mind to look into.

6. I dont look for molds for already created characters... i just look at molds i like and see if i could make a character out of him/her.

Im definitely a browser xD

7. Depends.
      My first was definitely a search for the perfect doll to house my Ichigo.
      From there, it was just a getting hit by the MUST HAVE/ BUY ME stick while browsing.

Renji was an OOOO - he looks like Renji!
      And Yul was an OOOO - he looks like Yul Brynner!

With Rat, the KDoll Karon head, it was more a case of really liking the Kill-u heads that are no longer made. I like the looks of the Karon head, and found one while browsing, that had the perfect faceup, wig, AND eyes already for sale together! I was doomed. ;) He still has the same faceup, wig, and eyes. I've just added a little rat tail to the wig. :)

With HIchigo/Aibo/Ichi-nii, it was more of a pipe dream that came true!
      I'd these pie in the sky dreams of a WS Iple body that matched my NS Iple body that Ichigo is in, but since they don't make it anymore, my hopes were very very tiny. When the perfect head and body came along in the same sale post, I HAD TO HAVE him, and jumped at him! Okay, more like lunged. :sweat

8. Yeah, same her aernath. Once I was hit by the Haku(Naruto) bus I searched for him and did a few mock ups, added his hair etc etc to see which doll I thought best suited him. Though I must admit Unidoll Ark slammed into me without any mercy("...ZABUZA!!!" XD) and I never even thought about getting a unidoll but yeah...now I think I may have to >.>

9. Heh. I was innocently browsing the web, intent only on learning more about these dolls, when I got mugged through the monitor screen. "You! You will buy me! Never mind the excuses, buy me! You cannot resist the power of the bishonen!" With Baha (whom I can put off for only a few more weeks, I know it), the name "Minnaloushe" and personality (imperious little princess) have whacked me in the frontal lobe. So there's been no volition on my part. I didn't know I wanted any doll at all; they told me I did, and I figured I was safer agreeing.

10. I've been browsing and browsing... and browsing. I hope a mold calls out to me soon instead of all of them looking so beautiful. <.<;;

11. Usually when I look on company sites, I'm just browsing. But I think that's a dangerous frame of mind if your actually shopping! At least for me it is...
      I'd never be able to choose if I was just looking from a doll that struck me. I really need to have something in mind so I can narrow things down from dolls that just strike me to doll that I could love create a dynamic personality for.

12. Many dolls mug me when I'm browsing, and sometimes they steal my wallet, and I have another doll come home.

Doll meets are most dangerous for me, though, as I can browse Real Resin!

But my most recent doll, Bobobie Sprite, I've been looking around for.
      A character is too young in her current body and needed to grow up, and Sprite was it. But I wasn't looking with intent, but only browsing around when I found her.

Goodness only knows what will happen when I find her grandparents.
      (though I've got my suspicions. ;))

Ann in CT

13. Hahah, I'm definitely a browser. I look around until I see a sculpt that I just fall in LOVE with, and then I adapt my existing characters to fit the mold. They're pretty flexible personality-wise, but usually I end up just using the names. :sweat

14. I'm a browser. Look for a doll that "speaks" to me. One that when I look at I can see a background, style, and everything. Doesn't have to be the best of the best doll or anything. Just one that I think is the best! hehe

15. I have a very clear picture in my head of the doll I'm looking for. Sometimes the doll I choose isn't 100% perfect for the character, but I'm not afraid of a little modding to correct things. The only doll I bought that I didn't plan for that way was my Omicron. That was love at first sight and I made a place for him in the story. :aheartbea

If I browsed and bought the ones that struck my fancy I'd be drowning in dolls, or flat broke and living in the park. :|

16. The three I already have I saw and fell in love so bought them with no real character in mind for any of them. I just liked the look of the faces. Funny thing is that none of them now look like they did when I bought them!
      Now I have these three personalities living with me I would like to get some more to "match" them. Like I would love to get a Shiwoo elf to keep my Nara elf company.
      Browsing is very dangerous to my financial health. I always see something that I like!

17. I have a character in my mind, but I don't really know how it looks like, so I usually browse through and if I find a mold fitting for him, then, he goes on my wishlist :D Then I do some drawings and see what fits. So, basically, its a mix of both, i guess. XD My first boy though, was a mold thing.

18. I browse and try to get ideas of what I want.

19. I tend to browse a lot. There are certain companies that I already like a lot and check their websites once or twice a week for updates. These are companies that I tend to have sculpts memorized because I've looked at them so often, haha. So, if a certain character idea did come to mind, I would probably think of one of these dolls, which is what happened with my second doll. :)

20. I'm a mix of both. I usually have a specific idea in mind, but I'm very open-minded, so I always end up looking at loads of dolls that have nothing to do with my specific idea! :lol: