1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea in mind, or just browsing?

Sep 9, 2007

1. I just meander across different doll websites all the time, even when I'm not looking to buy a doll, and whenever I see someone I like I put them on my wishlist. It's ever growing. So when I want a new doll, I just say, "who's next on my wishlist?" 8D I do have a particular style I like, though--but that's just a matter of taste.

2. I definitely am the type who already has an idea in mind.

I know what expression I'm looking for, facial features, etc. When I find a doll that fits everything, it's a perfect match.

3. I have loads of ideas for characters, and those tend to just multiply. I do browse around on all those lovely websites and sometimes I see one that would go well with the chars I have, but also new chars just jump into existance 8)
      the first doll I fell in love with wasn't actually the doll I bought, I have different tastes now in dolls, but that is natural I think. there are moments in which I'm certain a doll screams 'buy me, NOW!!' through the screen, but I'm broke, and well, saving up just doesn't work when having kids.. but I'd say I do both, browsing and looking with already fixed ideas 8)

4. I don't have much experience to draw off yet. But I'd say I'm a browser. XD;
      I had no plans for my doll, at all. I just loved the mold, and when he got here, his character kind of developed itself. I really prefer it that way, anyway. c:

5. Eee...with me it's kinda difficult 'cos most times when I find a perfect doll that I want it's just coincidence when I'm for ex. looking for clothes and accidentally get to doll section and in every case it's just like: "Hmm...dolls...dolls...dolls...pch, nothing special..."
      And then: "Hey, wait a moment...!"
      And the rest is just well known story xD

6. I do both, but mostly browse. I have ideas in mind for a doll I'd like to create, but I'm too much of a n00b to even know where to begin constructing or caring for this hobby. So for now, I'm holding off and just enjoying seeing all the wonderful dolls everyone else has created.

7. My character that I thought up.. I knew I wanted him to have an intelligent but somewhat innocent face, so when I discovered the DoT Camine, I knew he was perfect.

8. I look around for dolls that strike me. I let the doll tell me their personality and then I build the character from there!
      I would love to take the time to make my own BJD one day but so far my attempts have been rather lackluster :(

9. At first I was definitely a browser - most of my dolls were bought that way. Wasn't looking for anyone in particular but I saw them & said 'Oh, you're nice' As I've grown in the hobby I find I have an idea in mind, at least for particular dolls. But I still browse - and find inspiration here on DoA, when looking at the Gallery. I'll see a mold I like and add it to the ever growing wishlist. So I'm a bit of both.

10. A bit of both, I have set characters I want to find sculpts for, BUT, some sculpts just call to me.... Like my Project E.L.F. and The Dark Duke... They're CALLING me.

0.o

Same with Soom's Bygg and Beyla....I gave in to them. *_* And surprisingly enough, they seemed to settle into three of my already existing characters ('Ciel, Andromeda, and Jaime` as one of the R. heads.)

So it's all good. :lol:

11. For my first doll, I just browsed around...
      A LOT... I didn't know exactly what I was after, so I just kept looking for "The Doll", until I finally found it :)
      It took me a few weeks, but I believe it's worth it :)

12. I try to find dolls to represent characters that I already created.... but to find their mold I just browse until I find a mold I like and that fits it =D

But lately I just browse... and finally create another character for that doll that I just cannot live without XD

13. Usually the character comes to me before the mold, once I have the character I'll start looking for a mold that just seems "right"

14. browser. definitely. but almost all of the dolls i see and decide i want end up matching one of the my characters i'd like to have in doll form anyway. so that makes things kinda easy ^_^

15. For me it's all browsing. I like a certain look, and once I find it, I get happy and imagine different characters that would fit. I love browsing and searching. It's one of the best parts, that feeling of finding exactly what you're looking for.

16. I have a ton of characters, so I look to find a doll that suits the character, not the other way around. Normally when I browse I'll find something I didn't think would work for a specific character down the road.

17. Vague/rough idea - more mature bodies, and faces somewhere between teen and young adult. Then I browse until I find the right match for those two criteria that also matches my preferred aesthetic of bigger eyes, a nose that isn't heavily defined and closed mouth. There's no "she has to look exactly like this" in mind for me though.

18. I found out that when I try to come up with a new character and then search for the right doll mold for him/her, it's really just me trying to make an excuse to add another doll to the wishlist and be excited about.

Since I haven't recently been attracted to any current molds, I'm not sure I'm even browsing.

But these are good things for my bank account. :]

19. As I always search for dolls to match certain pre-existing characters I usually have some sort of idea in mind while I browse through the different sites. Sometimes I will see gorgeous dolls that I simply adore, but if they don't match up to whatever character I'm searching for then I skip it.

It's getting a little more difficult lately though with my last few dolls I have planned, while they all have very strong personalities, I only have a very vague image in my minds eyes as to what they physically look like. So I'm spending alot of time now generally browsing and waiting for just the right face to pop out at me and tell me he's the right boy. I've gotten pretty close a few times, but in the end there was always something a little off and I honestly think I'm just annoyed with myself for not having a clearer image of the character beforehand.

20. I have an image of my future doll in my mind. So, I do spend a plenty of time on searching this particular one.

But I like to ‘randomly’ browse, too. Just for the sake of getting to know something new (one never knows what’s waiting around the corner) or for they are such eye candies that even they are not what I want I still like to look at them. :)