1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea in mind, or just browsing?

Sep 9, 2007

1. Well I usually don't have any idea for a doll, in fact I keep telling my self that I don't need anymore, and I think there is not a doll out there that makes me want to buy them. THEN a Limited once in a life time chance for a doll comes out and well, I add to my boys. I only have 5 dolls. So if a doll dose not absolutely knock me off my feet I don't buy them.

Now for the minimees I did ( two of them) it was different, I wanted a doll of EXACTLY MY characters, so I had them sculpted. SO for this cause I had a doll in mind already, and used my art direction with Denny's sculptures to make them :)

2. As of right now (I don't have any OT dolls lol XD; ) I'm a browser! With my other OT dolls I'd buy them with a purpose, but Catish Vnu caught my eye and now I have to make up a personality for her ^^;

3. Unless I have a specific character in mind, which I only have once (Jason), I just get a general idea of a personality, a veery vague one, and find a doll I think that attains that, and branches off into more. I like to see them blossom into their own unique selves over time.

4. While none of my dolls are made off of pre-existing characters, I usually now have a vague idea in mind of a personality I want the doll to portray. Most of the time they don't even have a set look or name. There's just usually a one or two word personality trait I have in mind.

When I was searching for my first doll, I knew I wanted him to be sweet and childish looking, but still have a somewhat mature look to him. o.o;

Now I am searching for a boy who has a rough, hard to get along with kind of personality. I'm also searching for an MSD girl who is rather rebellious looking. XD

Then once I order them they get a full fledged personality and name.

I guess I consider myself mostly a browser.

5. I do both things xD

I used to be a browser, in fact, i'm still browsing looking for that doll that tells me "i am that character", then i stop browsing and try to think about me with that doll and giving it the personality of that character, if it works, that doll must come with me xD That's what happened with my Bory and the new Zhuqing xD Now i can't imagine Andrei and Cross with other molds >.<

That's what i usually do, but... there are right now two dolls that still don't have a character designed and will come home (i hope xDDD) soon... I just know a little about their characters, but isn't like the other dolls, that i had a personality defined for them...

6. Sort of both.
      But most of the time I browse, I look at differed sites and sometimes I just fall in love with a specific mold. But sometimes I also have a character I would love to have as a doll and then I search different sites to find a mold that suits the character.

7. I usually just browse ^^ I have a certain idea what I would like the mould to look like but otherwise I don't have any characters I guess to buy dolls for :3

8. For me, I find a sculpt I like, and design a character around it after I receive the doll lol. It happens too often that I plan the character ahead of time, then when the doll gets there it completely changes so I don't bother anymore lol.

In short, I browse then plan lol.

9. Just look around until something strikes me~~~
      Always browse the Japan yahoo auction of bjd.
      Sometime, visit the website of Japanese dolls' owner.

When I get interest, many ideas and plan will full my brain. XP

10. I usually go for a mold first. 4/5 of my dolls are old favourites, dolls I saw earlier on in the hobby and haven't stopped loving them. It's when they got home they started to reveal themselves.

11. It varies. There are a few things I want to find, but they tend to be obscure enough that it's unlikely. When I spot those, I grab them if I am able. Otherwise, I browse. If something catches my attention, it gets wishlisted or snagged if it's possible.

12. I never actually have a character in mind, because of my fear that once I see the mold it might not fit the character I had in mind. I hear from many people that it happens like that sometimes, then they sell the doll that they just got! I always say "Once she/he gets here, I'll come up with a personality for them!" And then I have a few different ideas that float around while I'm waiting for the doll I ordered. It works well, but sometimes I procrastinate and don't even come up with a name for my doll until a year after I get them. :sweat

13. I usually have a certain type of doll in mind before I go looking.
      I occasionally browse randomly, but with the amounts of money these dolls cost, I'm not as likely to do anything impulsive. I used to earlier on, though!

Raven

14. Recently I've not had much interest in obtaining new dolls, but with my last one I got, I set out with "45cm girl" in mind. From there I narrowed it to companies I liked, and then expressions I liked, and then the exact ones I wanted. With other dolls I might start out with a character in mind. I generally have a clear idea of what they look like, so I look long and hard and if I find nothing, I let the want lay dormant until I see a mold that works.

15. Usually I end up seeing a doll randomly, then I start saving and planning how I want him or her to look. When ever I tried findind a doll when i had an idea about how I wanted it to look, I could never find the right doll for the part!

16. Just browsing works for me. I have a personal rule to only buy dolls because I like how they look - not because I want them to represent a certain character or fulfill certain traits. This is because I know I'm fickle and I don't want to deal with being dissatisfied with some aspect of the mold but keeping it because "it fits the character" - or on the other hand, passing over an awesome mold because "it doesn't fit the character" since, knowing me, I'll bet in a few months this "character" will have entirely changed in my head anyway. So, I keep all characters in my head. If I love the mold for the mold alone, I believe I'll get to enjoy it indefinitely.

...I must admit though, there are times when I almost break my rule. I saw these amazing clothes for SD17 and suddenly started looking at every tall boy body in existence hoping to like one of them just for an excuse to buy clothes for it. Luckily for my wallet, I came to my senses and realized that I still don't like any of those molds on its own enough to warrant saving for it.

17. Usually I just browse around until I find one that I like.

The only issue I have right now is that three out of four of the dolls I really like right now are either LE's or used to be an unlimited that the company no longer makes. This is sort of a bummer because all three of the sculpts are very unique and have certain features that I especially like.

18. I'm a browser. :) I look until I find a mold I like, then browse for eye and hair colors and styles I think will look good with the mold, then face-up colors and styles that will go with the mold and hair/eye colors, then finally the personality and name. That's how dolls end up in my home, though for the most part I don't actually need to search for a mold. :sweat I seem to always have a list of at least 6 who just sort of collect there when I'm not really looking for anything.

19. Im a browser plain and simple. But its weird i get feelings about dolls so i kinda know which ones are gonna fit in with my collection, i also made myself a rule which is never buy a doll i cant find a name for....all my lot have had a name figured out within 30 min of me finding the sculpt...i also just seem to know their look once ive found their name. Ive generally got eyes, wig, faceup and clothing in mind about 1 day after finding the sculpt that will tell me its name....weird huh?

Thats the doll i will buy.