1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea in mind, or just browsing?

Sep 9, 2007

1. Since I am new and looking to buy my first BJD I find that I am just browsing till something catches my eye. And a few ( lol ) already have. But i have to save for it so I have plety of time to browse.

Jennie

2. Definitely just a browser but I have a number of character dolls I would jump on right away if they were to be released.

3. WELL! For me it all just started out as looking for dolls I like! As you can see, if you look at my wishlist.. I have very many on there. LOL! But a lot of them came about while I was looking for dolls to fit a story a writing. One that was inspired by my first doll, who is actually in the story. And now I'm wanting to buy the other 5 main characters in the story. It wasn't hard to find Citlali's interest.. As I believe I found him before she had even arrived. And while looking for the other characters.. I've actually changed a couple out. But I'm pretty sure with whom I've picked now. 8D

I'm trying not to add anymore dolls to my wishlist. Lol. So as of right now, I'm not lookin' for any new dolls. But it's both ways for me. I might be lookin' for a specific doll to fit a character, or I'm just browsin' and find a doll I really like! ^ u^

4. I generally just look around until I see a doll that grabs me. I mean, I might have a general idea in mind, like "I want this doll to look kind of Asian" or whatever, but that's about it. I prefer to just look until I see one that is so beautiful that I just can't resist!

5. I'm a browsing type. I have pre-made characters, but I'm more interested in creating new ones to suit the doll.

6. It depends~ I tend to do both though I am more of a browser. However, I do have certain looks that I like so when I browse I also look out for the same looks~

7. I'm definitely a browser. ^_^; I've tried setting out looking for molds for specific characters before, and while I find some good options that way it seems like they never really call to me. Then I'll just look at doll sites for fun and bam! A doll tells me which character they are. XD The dolls I have now are of characters I had never planned on making dolls for!

8. I browse until I find something that is perfect for a character so I have this preset idea of what they look like and I have this idea that eventually u will find a doll to match its a matter of waiting and looking and being paitent. So I guess technically I am in both camps.

9. At present I desperately want a female MSD other than a mature body and being unusual in some way I have no idea what I am looking for but I will know it when I see it. I bought my last doll in the same way.

10. I have a general idea of face and body in mind, and then I browse to find the most fitting sculpt. Or just close, but prettier. I decide on a wig and such after choosing the mold. So it's not really like I have a ready character, more like a type.

11. I usually get an idea in my head of how I want a certain look, then find a doll to fit that. I'm having a very hard time at the moment though because I'm trying to get a Hybrid together, and until I have one part, I don't know if it's going to fit on the body, and I've put out a thread to ask, but noone seems to have done this...* Sigh*

12. Well I had the size and where to buy it in mind because I wanted the same size as a friend. But otherwise I had no idea what I wanted. I've just started picking out how I want her now that I have decided (kinda!) on a doll. n_n

13. I tend to buy looking for a specific character, but half the time I end up browsing, see a mold that strikes me, and then it just kinda becomes the perfect character, whether it was what I had in mind or not:sweat

14. When you start looking for a new doll, do you ever have a specific idea in mind, or do you just look around until something strikes you?
      I browsed a lot in the beginning because I wasn't sure what shaped head molds I preferred. Once I got a better idea, I found companies that made lots of those kinds of molds. Then I just browse those sites to see if anything strikes me once in a while.

15. I just look for a doll I like, and once I've decided I want it I make a character and story for it~
      Sometimes though, I end up taking that doll off the wishlist and not getting it, and then keeping the character for my drawings and writing ^___^;

16. I'm a 'fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants' girl - without a doubt. Research papers, writing stories, and basically just about anything, I don't like to plan. If I have an idea in my mind, it's there. I don't need to do much to plot it down, or write it out.

And for my doll, I'm no different. I mean, as a writer, I'm compelled to plot out who she's gonna be. And so far, her name will be Emma Milton, and live in Regency England. I got the idea of Emma from watching the BBC miniseries Emma that they made a year or two ago. And I looked absolutely EVERYWHERE for any decent info on the Regency period, and I finally found one in Georgette Heyer's Regency World, which will tell you just about anything you wanted to learn about the Regency.

To me, planning out a doll before the doll arrives - like making a story and finding a doll to match my character - seems a bit dangerous. If it works for other people, then that's awesome; I'm not writing this part to say anyone shouldn't do that. But in my case, planning how my doll will be 'exactly' takes the fun out of it. I'm still going to call her Emma, and she'll still be English, but maybe she isn't spirited like the character I've planned? What if she's actually more reserved and quiet? I fear there's going to be an awkward contrast between doll and character, and it'll all go wrong.

So as of now, I'm reading and doing my research, and trying to get the rest of the money I need to actually buy the doll. I'm also pretty terrible at characterization on the whole, so I wonder if analyzing the doll's behavior may help me flesh out the story, or help me flesh out other characters?

17. I usually have an end in mind because my interests are very character based. The first time I laid eyes on what would become my first doll, after months of browsing without intention of buying anytime soon, my girlfriend IMed me with a link to a Soom Gem Laon head on the marketplace and said he looked like my favorite actor. I knew I had to have him! He is such a cutie, I love his sculpt and his faceup.

My second doll we loved his face and were hoping that with the right face up, he would look like someone else I adore, and he does! I would like to someday buy a doll that I like without a predetermined character in mind, but I'm not sure if it would ever happen. I liked IH Freezia a lot but I could not come up with a character for her. I'm not entirely sure if this is related, but my interest started to wane after I acknowledged that my desperate character association for the sculpt was a very far stretch and she was too darn short anyway.

I notice a lot of people on the forum base dolls off their own characters. I wish that were my case and not actors! I know my dolls are loose interpretations of the people, but it would be so much easier if I did not have such a solid reference!

18. I think I do both. When it came to looking for my first doll, I was browsing. Looking for someone who grabbed my eye. But on the other hand, I do have my own characters, one of which that I want to make into a doll. I think making a character into a doll is the harder of the two... Its easy to be grabbed by a beautiful face, and fall in love with it, but not so much when you're looking for something.

19. At this point it's mostly browsing. I know that I want a dark skinned male elf eventually, but I'm not familiar with enough companies to search very long without getting frustrated and I don't want to settle. :sweat

20. I'm looking for dolls to fit characters in a story of mine, so its a little of both. I only know what doll I want for two of my characters. The others, I have ideas in mind but I'm still browsing just in case. Like, one of my characters was gonna be a SSDF Regen, but then SpiritDoll introduced Acer; I find Acer to be a more suitable sculpt, but it's not set in stone.