1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Identity crisis?

Dec 24, 2004

1. I would love to absorb my dolls fashion sense but being my age it's not a good idea. That is probably why they get the cute, the snazzy and punk stuff because I couldn't wear it even if I lost the 50 lbs, and could turn back the clock some 20 years at least. Because it just wouldn't look right. I don't have their fashion sense, their talents or their love life. I do love having them in my life, even if I end up broke over them.

2. I found myself in the Pink ribbon and lace section of my local craft store, thinking about what trim would go best with the fabric i was holding. 2 years ago had you told me i would not only be SEWING but SEWING PINK fabric, i would have slugged you. Mostly for reputation.

So I guess this hobby has let me branch out a little and try something different.

'Even if I would NEVER wear this, it looks simply adorable on my doll.' :)

3. This thread poped back up form the dead huh?

I've recently found myself doing just this...I'll walk trough a store and go "That would look good on bailey." and proceed to try it on. Concirdring I used to be "goth" and bailey hates most things goth..its quite a departure. I dont mind it much, I'm getting back to my trendy glam rock side and I love it! I'me even planning on going blond like Bailey! lol! Identity cricisis? I stole his identity! ^_^

4. Oh my God, yes! I just recently tried to explain this to one of my friends!:3 I've noticed that my interests are starting to expand because of my dolls' characters. Normally, when I am developing a character for my doll, I choose things that I think would interest them, even if they don't neccessarily interest me. Sometimes I know a bit about it, but more often than not I have to do a little research on it. In doing that, I become interested in things I never normally would have been interested in. For example; Cameron loves the movies, 'Napolean Dynamite' and 'Borat'...I had heard about them maybe once or twice, but had never seen them at all and had never wanted to see them because they are really not my kind of movie (believe me), I just knew they would be movies Cameron would like. So I ended up renting them just out of curiosity and I actually quite enjoyed them!xD The same thing happened with Leslie; He loves history and politics (politics are definitely not my thing), and I've noticed that I've been reading the newspaper and watching the news more. He also loves planes, so I've been looking at catalogues for model planes because I've become interested in making one!:3 Each doll inspires a little something different in me, which is really what makes character developing so exciting.

5. My dolls haven't changed the things I wear, instead they wear some of the same things I did 20 years ago. I'm a bit too old & far too fat to get away with those sorts of things now but I can easily live all my fashion fantasies thru my dolls. Besides, comfort has become my number one priority in my personal clothes & some of the things I pour my dolls into could never be described as comfortable. I do find that a lot of my dolls end up with my hair & eye color though.

6. I feel that the personality/tastes/identy of a doll, is a mirror of the owners internal personaties.

translated, your doll wears those things cause deep down inside, you really like them. In general, not cause your doll likes them. :)

7. The smell/taste I've always associated with Zarr (the character, before the doll) has been cinnamon.

So now I've had an ungodly fixiation with cinnamon flavored things ever since Zarr got home. D:

And cinnamon flavoring upsets my stomach.

It's been a fun month.

8. I also love to wear black and always wear Tripp jeans with loads of zippers and buckles and straps and chains. I live in zip up hoodies and tees and skateboard shoes and I NEVER wear dresses or skirts.

However when I got my first BJD I got a girl so I could dress her up in frilly lolita dresses and pleated skirts. She has a pair of jeans and a pair of shorts, but she prefers her skirts and dresses. and both my dolls have big chunky boots.

I love to design dresses and cute things, but almost never wear them. I do find myself looking at Lolita dresses and cute skirts and funky boots thinking how I'd love to have that in my size but I always stop myself from buying cause I'd never actually wear it.

Pretty much I went a little different in that I knew my tastes were kind of two different sides and I wanted this cute thing in dresses and boots, but I didn't want to be the one in the dress and boots so thats why I bought a girl. I do now own a pink rabbit earred hoodie and more a than a few brighter tees now so that's my concession I guess. My friends all teased me at first, but I just shrugged and said I felt like wearing some color.

9. I ADORE goth and steampunk fashion (which I never particularly noticed until I got my dolls) and I would definitely wear it, but I am too old. I think I would merely alarm my smaller grandson and embarrass the older one. I did, however, color my hair a bright red color (it was dishwater blonde), and I now own a black camisole with a skull. Hot pink streaks in my hair may be next. I don't mind looking eccentric, but I don't want to look like an old tart. lol

10. I think that when I get a girl bjd she'll end up wearing all the stuff I don't have the courage to wear, so I can let go of it, like therapy :lol: Basicaly being a goth here get's enough unwanted attention, if I wore even more unusual stuff I wouldn't be able to leave the house without feeling watched :lol:

But I've also noticed that as I plan all the things I want to buy for my doll and as I see so many pretty dolls here wearing so many cute outfits, I'm actually considering getting a little bit out of my usual safety zone when it comes to clothing and I find myself picking out things that I wouldn't have picked out before I got into this hobby, simply because they remind of something I really liked to see in a particular doll. Which is odd. :lol:

11. I'm just gonna go off-topic a bit to say that you're awesome. :o :D

12. Heh, heh; I wonder how long it will take my DH to notice?

13. LOL that is funny old tart! Personally I find I feel much more daring as I get older. Which seems the opposite of what we see normally young=more daring and older more conservative.

My style is not like my dolls style but dressing my dolls has translated in a real appreciation for personal expression on the outside.

14. I dont think i have this problem. xD i have a pretty wide range of stuff ill wear, there really isnt anything i wont wear and ive gone through most phases xD.

The clothes i want my dolls to have are pretty much just stuff i cannot find in my size. D; but otherwise i would already be dressing like that.

Though i do tend to give my Locke more darker clothes.. but i really dont like black stuff. xD but you just cant help it.. black goes with so many things..

now if only i could find/make body suits for my dollies xD

15. I adore 'costume' and period clothing, vintage, and well most anything other than the 'jeans and t's' ppl often 'resort' to. My dolls get to wear what I can't. Don't get me wrong if I could sew and or afford it I'd look like I was dressing out of a theatre costume warehouse ^^. (What's saddest of all is my hypertension keeps me from even occasionally wearing the too hot clothing of 1800's wear.) So my dolls get to 'play dress up for me'.

I used to have a riot dressing up actors in their character's looks ... I'm out of that part of my life now so my dolls get the royal 'costume' treatment... And my resin kids run the gammut
      Lu has her leather set complete with cat'o'nine and long whip, which is in storage as she looks more like "Ma" from Little House on the Prairie. Regency is next for her.
      little Abby is in her Little House look too just out of her 'puritan's' set...
      my guys are a variety of pirate's and lord's and pirate lords right now...
      yeah I'd look like I needed a rubber room if I could actually dress like I wanted lol. Dolls are lucky this way and give me and outlet for all the 'character's who live in me ;)

16. My dolls are female and I'm not, so it's highly unlikely that it'll ever happen to me. Plus I like to dress them in fancy improbable clothes and I'm the kind of person happy to wear a button up shirt and a pair of shorts.

17. ... styles come in both boy and girl versions... 'would' you wear the men's styles of your girls fashion ... 'if you could'? ;p

18. I think some of them might have bled onto me a little xD But then again it's a cycle because I assigned that personality to them so it came from me initially? So basically what I'm trying to say... I probably already had some part of their personality, it just becomes amplified through them and comes back out via myself again...

19. Not really lol. The most important thing when it comes to my own clothes is if I like the color and it's comfy to wear. Long sleeves and pants make me feel stuffy so that's right out with most things I'd put on the doll.

20. No identity crisis here. I know perfectly well who I am and what I want. That doesn't mean I always get it though, haha~

All my BJD contain a little of my personality so you could say I'm living my life through them as well. I wear whatever I feel like wearing that day and that's usually the pieces of clothing that don't get in the way, are easy to put on and take off and fit under my motorcycle gear.

I LOVE (with a passion) everything that's cute and pink and fluffy and cuddly and ... I think you get the point. That doesn't mean I actually want to wear those things.

I do keep a look-out in stores for things that my dolls would wear if they were life-sized. It gives me inspiration to duplicate or have those items duplicated in doll size. I'd hate for my dolls to wear the actual clothing I wear, that would be very boring to be honest.