1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If a doll has the aesthetic style of an ABJD, but made in the US, is it allowed?

May 18, 2007

1. To add to what Ashbet said, it says directly in the Criteria thread that it's not admissible.

Hope that helps. :)

2. I'm just a bit confused. When are dolls aesthetically asian enough? I always thought that there was no difference between ABJD and BJD and that the A stood in front of the word, merely because of the 'official' term.

Why I am asking this is because I'm creating a doll myself now and when I'm done and I think it's good enough, I want to see if I can sell him. But I just don't know if he's 'asian' enough to be put up here. So I'm not asking this to be witty or anything.

3. I do find it ironic, because 90 % of all BJD's aren't "asian" looking in the least LOL Prime examples would be Iplehouse Cocori and Aaron, Elfdoll Red (and most of the elfdolls in fact), Most of the Tensiya dolls, etc. The Tensiya dolls If anything, look European. Unidoll Jace has the most European head-mold i've ever seen. So, I too am curious what this "asian" asthetic is that i keep hearing about. The only time a doll to me really looks Asian, is when they are a dreaming head. From what i have heard, most of the BJD's are actually sculpted to look American, or European, not asian. Even the Ball-joint system is not asian. In fact, it's German. The wooden German Ball-jointed dolls are where the dolls originated.

The Bishonen House dolls don't look asian at all, are american, and are allowed...(unless that changed recently) So i guess i too am curious as to what is considered "Asian asthetic" in the overall look of the doll. I think we understand most of the other criteria, as it's very point blank. But this one just seems a little vague, and open to interpretation.

oh, and please keep in mind, all, that i'm not trying to argue! LOL Just discussing :D I respect that the mods and admins have made their decision.

4. "Asian aesthetic" means that the doll is created in the spirit of the original Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls -- it means Asian STYLE, not Asian-featured.

A lot of anime, for example, shows characters with "non-Asian-featured" faces, but it's still Asian-style animation.

The criteria is meant to be a little bit vague, because it *is* open to interpretation -- otherwise, new and innovative dolls wouldn't be allowed simply because they weren't envisioned at the time that the criteria was put into place (if we'd put in a specific rule saying that only dolls between 43 and 60cm were allowed, for example, the new crop of 70cm dolls would have been disallowed, along with the entire "Tiny" category.)

In the end, each new doll and company is individually considered by the mods/admins to determine whether or not it fits in with the "spirit" of the board. DoA can't be everything to everyone, and a doll not fitting our inclusion criteria certainly isn't a judgment on its objective value, just a statement that certain dolls aren't on-topic for an already fairly broad-spectrum board.

Hope this makes sense!

-- A <3

5. This is what I think whenever I hear the term. I've never thought that an Asian Ball Jointed Doll meant that they looked, or even "should" look, Asian as far as their facial characteristics, rather that they were manufactured in Asian and created with a certain tell-tale asthetic, much like a painting genre that spans several continents.

6. Again, not trying to be a PITA, but.......
      How do animal headed BJDs meet the criteria? Petdoll doesn't, but Pipos dolls do. The Baha, Curo and even Ashbet's own Mau heads aren't human. Does putting them on an accepted body make them acceptable?
      I really want to know.
      (BTW Ashbet, your Mau sculpt is fabulous. I really hope to aquire one someday.)

7. I've managed to stay out of these sorts of debates/q & a sessions for some time now because I have my own opinion on the matter. However, I would love a more detailed explanation as to why a doll like Evangeline Ghastly is not allowed on DoA. I was simply looking searching to see if anyone had her yet and saw that a previously posted thread about her was removed due to her not meeting the qualifications for DoA.

However, she does meet the following::

1. Made of resin YES
      2. Articulated using ball-and-socket type joints (or a combination of ball-and-socket joints and hinge or sliding joints YES
      3. Strung with elastic or similar material YES
      4. Have a 2+ part head with changeable eyes YES
      5. Can wear a wig with brushable hair YES
      6. Can wear shoes and cloth clothing YES
      7. Intended by manufacturer for customization I have no idea what Mr. Tonner's 'intentions' for the doll are/were, but if you can swap the eyes, wigs, clothing and re-paint the face, I would say 'YES' to this one as well.
      8. Consistent with the style of other dolls presently allowed in terms of facial and body proportioning and overall aesthetic style. I would have said no to this one, however with the Volks releasing the new Jewel girls who are clearly styled after fashion dolls, much like Olivia, I have to say there is le-way here as well. No?

So what exactly does knock her out of the DoA criteria?
      I'm honestly just very curious because it seems reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally picky if she doesn't qualify when she meets so many of the above criteria.

Can a mod please explain this so we can all understand why the decision was made to ban her?

8. Whether or not she's made of resin, Evangeline Ghastly is primarily a fashion doll. She is not produced with the intention of modifying her. The jointing system is very different; her body aesthetic is not the same as that of an ABJD. And you certainly cannot argue that her face is. Even though certain 'big' companies, like Volks, are producing dolls more in a fashion doll style, they are still unmistakeably Asian in influence.

I know it can be frustrating, but there are so so many dolls right now that DoA has to keep some dolls out. We aren't really an all-inclusive doll board; we do not wish to exclude American-made dolls, of course, but the focus of the board is and has always been primarily those produced in Asia under a certain aesthetic. While it would be folly to say that that aesthetic is never met in non-Asian dolls, it is more rarely, and while it may not feel 'fair,' the moderating team stands behind the decisions it makes concerning dolls that are considered OT for our board. Thanks for understanding!

9. I can certainly see then why this topic would be most confusing and highly frustrating to the members of the board.
      See now why I don't bother? lol

I stick to selling and meet up info. The rest is a huge, scary mess. ;)

10. Dollfie Dreams are BJD, Thanks to DoA's Grandfather Clause. They are made of vinyl, have ball joints and etc. Look under the rules again.

11. well...American Ball Joint Doll = ABJD
      but..