1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

if dolls were less expensive...

Jul 23, 2015

1. I would probably buy just as many as I do now. I honestly am not sure if I would like them more or less being cheaper, it's hard to say. I love getting good deals on my dolls, and that's part of the fun for me in this hobby!

2. If dolls were less expensive, I'd still love them all the same, and I would probably go crazy on spending on dolls.
      I can't really go 'crazy' per se at the moment because of their price, buuuut thinking about this idea....
      Yeah, I'd probably have a wild population of them in my room if that was the case, pft.
      I'd also be able to complete my doll plans in an instant. Currently, they're on hold haha.

3. ... I'd be in so much trouble because I'd most likely own even more dolls and, seriously - I'm running out of space!

4. ...the Head Box would maybe finally be empty because all the floating heads could get bodies? XD And I'd have more money to spend on yarn...<3

5. I like that I have to save money to purchase a doll. I feel like I "earned" the doll that way.

6. I kind of like having to save for a doll...it gives me something to look forward to and plan for and shows I really want it. If they were as cheap as barbies I'm not sure they would feel as special to me.

7. Hmmm, I think if they were sort of barbie price the doll itself would probably not be as attractive, because logically to be a cheaper to buy doll it would probably be a cheaper doll in the first place? I think if dolls were somewhere more mid range, juts a bit less expensive than they are I would be absolutely drowning in them!

8. I always only get things I really really want, so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

9. I honestly think it might make it a little less fun. It's kind of exhilarating when you save up all of that money, and you spend it on your doll, and you know its an investment and not just something that anyone could go to Walmart and buy. I mean obviously there are a lot of people in the BJD community, so someone else is bound to have the same sculpt, but I think the fact that they're a little harder to get makes them more unique. I think its cooler this way too because even though other people might have the same sculpt I haven't really seen many that look alike, whereas Barbie's would all look the same. Just my opinion obviously, but I don't think I would love it as much if I could walk into a Toys-R-Us and SEE the other 500 people purchasing my exact doll.

10. yea~i still love them same as now
      i ask same question to myself before,and discuss with my friend
      if the price like barbie,we will buy a lot of them in every doll's company^^

11. I know I would buy lots. They are so nice to have and budgeting can be worrisome.

12. I don't think I would have a ton, but I would definitely get more. However, I wouldn't want them to be Barbie-priced, I think that this hobby is nice because it takes commitment and I believe the community would be very different if that aspect was taken out. If they went up to a few hundred dollars instead of a couple thousand I think it would be better for the hobby.

13. I love BJDs because they fully articulated, easilly customizable, pretty to look at, lots of clothes, and flippin huge by doll standards. The price has nothing to do with it. If it was possible to get that level of quality for $30 I would be over the moon! But I still wouldn't have an army.

at barbie price, I would have started collecting earlier and definitely would have had an army back then. But nowadays I just don't like having too many things. Takes up too much place!

14. I'd definitely have more, because I love them and other dolls for reasons outside of the price. I wouldn't have to limit my bjd collection to dolls that fit certain criteria and I'd be open to making more impulsive buys. If a doll appealed to me just cause it was cute, or to add some variety to my collection, then why not? I don't think I'd be at hoarder levels though. At least, I hope not! I'd also probably have a bunch of project/practice/experiment dolls.

However, I do think it would change the way I viewed the dolls even if I don't want to admit it. If one of my Monster High dolls (or similar) was damaged, it wouldn't be too much of a problem to replace it. For my bjds, most everything has been sought out and put together for a reason. They have more sentimentality this way and I don't know if a replacement doll would feel the same as the original.

15. I actually don't know if I'd have more than I plan on having (which is 2 or possibly 3). I mean unique sculpts are amazing and all but my interest lies more in dressing and making clothes and such; I'd rather sink that money into clothes, fabric, wigs, eyes, supplies, and etc.

The only difference I can tell is that if bjds were cheaper I'd likely buy one for my sister :) It's only in my nature to attempt to draw more into this hobby.

16. I think I'd drown in dolls if they were cheaper. ^^; Like even now I own 20+ and have plans for several more.

17. I would have like a hundred, like I do of monster high dolls

18. I don't think I'd have many more if they were cheaper, maybe just a couple of my favourites. With a doll comes lots of other expenses, face-up, clothing, wigs, eyes, so these things would soon mount up and they're not cheap. At the moment I've got one, and no plans to get any more until I'm completely comfortable and bonded with my one.

19. I think that if they were cheaper, I wouldn't be so afraid to attempt faceup and mod work myself. At the moment, even a practice head at twenty or thirty dollars is too much money for my paranoia. If I could get several practice heads for like five dollars a piece, I might actually have the courage to attempt the faceups and molding I've always wanted to try! I even have two practice heads right now, but I keep thinking "I could actually use these for dolls, but only if I don't ruin them forever."

20. While I don't own one yet, I feel very 50/50 on this idea. I am a broke college student, so them being cheap would be amazing and I'd have a fleet of them easily, but then the quality would never be the same, and the whole feeling of saving for something that's so expensive, really makes you stop and think how badly you want it, and can make the decision between an "it's cute" doll and a *gasp* "I must have it!" doll hehe