1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

if dolls were less expensive...

Jul 23, 2015

1. I probably wouldn't get more than I was planning, but I'd reach my max number more quickly. With the money saved, I could get them more clothes!

2. If the price is more affordable, definitely I will buy and have more dolls. But I will buy only that I really like. If not, I will running out of space and won't appreciate them anymore!

3. Honestly, I don't think I'd have many more dolls, because I generally only go for ones that I reeaaaally want, even if I can afford them. If the clothes and accessories were less expensive however...I'd go absolutely crazy with those. I've never had a lot of clothes for my boys, so I'd love to be able to spoil them!

4. OMG! I would have every Iplehouse ever made!:D:dance:dance:mwahaha:wiggle:love:sigh

5. It may just depend on the person. As a child I played with barbie dolls, but I was always careful with them. I was also very picky on which ones I wanted. I even got three limited edition barbie dolls, the ones from around the world that weren't meant to be played with. I still have them all in a storage box as an adult, protected and neatly put away. I grew up with four other siblings so when we got something, usually it was the cheaper toys/dolls, we learned early to take care of it because it really wasn't something that happened very often. My barbies were very special to me as a child and still do have a special meaning for me as an adult.

As an adult now I am able to afford higher price points then my parents could, however, the price of an object has never really mattered to me. If BJDs were less expensive, yeah I would be able to afford more of them, but I wouldn't go crazy with it and I would still take good care of them.

6. pff i'd have over 100... if only they were cheaper ;_; but then again i dont think i'd like them as much, they would lose thier value :/

7. I would have more. I have always collected dolls of some kind. I prefer BJDs now because of the love and quality that goes into them, but even if the quality was a little less and they were cheaper, I would still get as many as I could reasonably afford.

8. I don't think I will buy more even if they are less expensive...I live in Hong Kong and most of the houses (or 'flat' actually) are super tiny.
      Even if someone give me a 100 dolls as gifts I won't be able to house them. I need to throw away quite a lot of books and clothes just to make some space in the bookshelf for my 3 dolls, and I have to keep 4 floating heads in my closet. My maximum is like 8 dolls...(and that's is difficult enough)

9. Sometimes it kills me that outside bjd everything used and for sale are half the price most of the time but in our bjd hobby used are just the same as new even if their over used , but there's also really great deals hehe , you just have to look .. If minifees are cheaper I'd buy them all!

10. I would probably risk a little more, try to learn how to mod or to dye resin...

11. As with many people in this thread, I do feel that the hefty price tags and long waiting periods contribute to a greater appreciation of this hobby! However, it most certainly wouldn't hurt if prices were lowered just a little bit. I personally would still try to control myself even if they were easy to obtain, so I would try to keep it under 10 dolls. I currently only plan to have 2, but I would love to shell more of my OCs if given the chance, time, and money! :)

12. I'm conflicted. On one hand, yes a lower price would mean more dolls, but I also don't think I'd be as inclined to buy them because they aren't as rare. Sometimes I see Monster High dolls that I think are cute, but I don't end up buying them because everyone can get one and it's not as special. I also think that if they were cheaper they'd be marketed toward children...which is not what a bjd is, in my opinion. They're for adult collectors so I think they come with an "adult" price haha :lol:

13. I remember buying the Barbie collectibles, some with porcelain skin, in my early twenties, and thought at the time they were pretty expensive, average $80-$100 USC. I treated them way better than my plastic dolls, not even letting some out of their boxes. So I understand the hefty prices of BJD, but I also like that they are big and sturdy enough to play with. Do I wish they were less expensive, of course, but even though I will get to "play" with mine, they are also beautiful works of art.

14. Though a part of me instantly begins wish-listing at the thought of cheaper dolls, after thinking it through I fall on the side of the spectrum that says that part of what makes the dolls special is their price. Because I have to save up and pare down that wishlist to the ones I really, really want, it makes me far more attached to them than something I could run out and buy at Wal-mart. And because very cheap prices would make them less of a fine art object and more something marketed toward children--yes, that would make it considerably less appealing. (No offense meant to those who collect Barbies or similar dolls, but the idea of being in the same aisle with a child throwing a tantrum for the "it" doll of the moment sort of kills the mood for me.)

The realist in me also acknowledges that there would be no way to keep the same kind of quality, because it would definitely involve a move from small companies to giant, mass-production factories and that would just be...sad. Yes, they're expensive, but as it is now, we're also supporting a small but lively community of sculptors and artists.

15. I have dozens of dolls on my wishlist, Including pet dolls and a Dollmore Trinity or three...and if they cost the same as Barbies, I'd own them all, instead of just gazing at their promo pics and drooling! :sweat

16. Even if dolls were more affordable, I don't think anything would change about how I collect/interact with them.

I've often had dreams where BJDs are (relatively) cheap and readily available, and every single time I'm just as picky with them as I am now. (I think the only thing that'd really change is with all that money freed up they'd have pretty fantastic wardrobes!) It works for me because the thing that makes them special in my opinion isn't the price or exclusivity, but the range of customization and the time consuming work you have to put in to get them where you want them to be.

17. If the dolls were cheaper, I swear I would own 50 of them now.

18. I don't think it would change much? I enjoy dolls according to their sculpt, their overall quality, the character that can be created, etc... Price usually never comes first ; when it ends up being too high, I just pass on it and tend to have fun browsing owner pictures (*'▽')

Still, I'm always really happy to find a great deal ♥

19. For me currently, I feel that having them be really cheap like a barbie would probably make them less interesting. I have collected barbie like dolls in the past and they lose some of the fun since I can buy a bunch very quickly. I then lose interest in them since they no longer have as much value behind them. I didn't have to work to get them. I feel that that is an important part of the hobby for me.

20. I think I'd definitely have more, but would the quality be the same? The customization? Articulation? I do enjoy smaller, cheaper dolls (like Azones) but everything about SDs creates a great experience for me that is well worth the price. Heh, but my wallet can dream.