1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

if dolls were less expensive...

Jul 23, 2015

1. I would've probably bought a lot a long time ago! Haha.
      But I feel like the price makes you more dedicated to this hobby.
      And also brings about those close nit communities.
      I feel if they were cheaper, we would lose that.
      And the dolls wouldn't be treated as well as they are now, with costing so much.
      Not only that, but we'd also lose the uniqueness of this hobby!

2. I think if dolls were less costly than the bjd community would grow a lot because I think that the how costly dolls are discourage from new people getting into the hobbies.

3. If the dolls were less expensive, I would buy more of them as long as they were still good quality. Also, I would be less concerned about things like how easy it is to make hybrids, find clothes that fit, or change out the eyes. Since the dolls are expensive and I can't afford a large number of them, I would like as many options as possible when it comes to changing a doll's appearence.

4. I'd buy an army of them!

5. I probably won't buy a lot of them because I carefully choose what I want for my doll family. Regardless of how much was it, as long as it's of good quality and is still made by various artists I think I would still love them. Also if they were less expensive, hopefully their wigs, clothes, shoes and accessories will be too~! :lol::thumbup

6. Heh, I actually do collect some lower-priced off-topic dolls, and I have fewer of them than I do BJDs, so I don't think the price is usually the deciding factor for me.

Honestly, I have too many dolls as it is, so even if they playline-Barbie-level cheap I doubt I'd buy more.

7. oh man if they were that cheap I would have a huge collection of dolls and I would have a bunch that I didn't quite connect with sitting in the closet and gathering dust or sold, if that was still possible. I am a semi impulsive buyer and it applies to the dolls as well, I'll see something that I sorta like and end up buying it. Right now I can't do that, it's not enough for a doll to just peak my interest, I need to think long and hard about the doll, whether I can afford him/her, do I have a rough idea of how I want to customise him/her, do I have a face with similar atheistic already, if so do I need another one etc But you know, a doll with the same face can end up looking so different depending on the face up, hair & eyes so it's never the same imagining how the doll is like without being able to hold it in your hands and really see & feel them. A picture is worth a thousand words, but that's no where near enough to describe a doll. So if I had the money, I would definitely go and buy every single doll that interests me and then sell them if I didn't bond with the doll. (or if they were as cheap as barbies, just keep them :) because I don't think I'll ever hate a doll)

8. I feel like I wouldn't have any interest, or maybe only a little, if they were cheaper. There's something about the cost and how they're made that makes them more than just an oversized Barbie. The saving up and constant hunting for dolls is more special to me than like going to a department store and picking one off the shelf. Each is made special for you if you buy from a company, and that makes them more special to me.

9. I think that if costs for material and labor went down, then I would consider picking up more BJDs. However, because of the artist-driven nature of BJDs, they will never be as cheap as regular dolls. Monster High dolls, Obitsus, and other BJD-like dolls fill in the gap pretty well. But even non-resin dolls from BJD companies tend to be at a price level that discourages people who aren't already into BJDs. A 200 dollar doll versus a 500 dollar doll still isn't affordable to many people.

10. There are sooo many dolls that I have fallen in love with and I have to think very long and hard before making a choice about which one I want most before making a purchase. If they were less expensive, I am pretty sure that I would buy lots and lots! I would hope that the clothes, wigs and shoes would be cheaper too so that I could do some major shopping sprees!

It's probably a very good thing they are not cheaper as I have limited space and my apartment would soon be over crowded.

11. I think I would feel less guilt!

12. Simplest answer: YES.

I have a love of Monster High fashion dolls, and I own a horde of them. So I think if BJDs were less expensive, I'd still want them. I think it'd make it easier to get into splurging and overbuying but HEY. Don't we all face that problem now?

13. I've wondered about this as well. If the quality was the same then I'm sure I'd still collect them, but I think the charm of the hobby wouldn't be what it is now. Idk it's hard to explain, but I'm sure this won't become a reality anytime soon haha

14. Price is the one of the reasons why I didn't get a whole population of them, but for me lack of space is the reason that stop me from buying more dolls. Dolls need space and their stuffs need even more space...I just can't stop buying stuffs for them. My family start to complaint about my dolls and their stuffs. That's the reason why I can't get more dolls.

15. i feel like, in a world where BJDs were significantly cheaper than they are now, I would probably obtain them a lot faster than I intend to presently. The ultimate size wouldn't really be affected - after all, I feel that would be more affected by the space that I have, which would probably only marginally be affected by the price of my hobbies. (I would hope anyways)
      I would be buying up dolls a lot faster than I am though, which has its pros and its cons. One of my biggest goals entering the hobby has been to shell as many of my OCs as possible, while one of my biggest woes has been choosing who to prioritize. Do I get this character's doll because it is cheaper? Or do I shell this character because they are more dear to me? I could never even bear to look at limited sculpts, in fear that that would throw me out of whack much worse than I already am on this matter. I feel that in having cheaper BJDs all of this wouldn't be an issue, at least for me. I'd have basically all the dolls I would need to customize ready to go whenever.
      However, it would definitely have its downsides as well. With so many dolls just there, I'd imagine at some point it would be overwhelming to know there are like a million doll projects waiting on me in my closet. My dolls would be pretty neglected, and few would probably even come into fruition for the vision I would have for them. Still, I probably wouldn't even think much about it because they didn't cost me months of saving and planning to obtain them. I'm certain I'd get to it at some point, but just as easily I could just buy a bunch more dolls.
      So yeah... tldr, in a world of cheaper BJDs my obtaining dolls would be faster, but my finishing projects would probably be at a sluggish pace, if it even happened at all.

16. I feel like I'd still try to limit myself, but I'd have a ton. Even if the average price were closer to $200-300 (I only collect SD size), I'd have at least twice as many.

17. Lower cost would have its ups and downs. It would be amazing to save money on something I love so much, but even at the high ticket price, they are taking over my house. I have to stop myself.
      As it is I don't feel to much of a burn shelling out cash for the dolls, I get my doll money by slowly selling off my massive Barbie collection. It makes me work for it. By the time I was done doing a sale when I wanted Iplehouse Falcon, I ended up paying $6 out of pocket, the rest was profits from dolls I just had laying around anyway.

18. I would buy quite a few of them and do epic photo stories!

19. If dolls were less expensive (say, Barbie priced) but kept their same quality I honestly think more cheaply made plastic dolls would be put out. I'd most definitely have more dolls.

20. If dolls were less expensive, I might(most definitely)would be known as the doll lady. I would have to get one of those storage shelters and make my dolls their own living quarters. Such a lovely thought!