1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

if dolls were less expensive...

Jul 23, 2015

1. If dolls were less expensive I suppose I would have more dolls. And moreover, I think I would be brave enough to mod them and give them endless amounts of tattoos lol

2. If bjd's we're less expensive I would still be hesitant to buy them.

I mean, I'm currently procrastinating on buying a couple of Made-to-Move barbies. And they're under $25!

3. I definitely think that if BJD's were cheaper, then I would have a lot more of them as it wouldn't be such a big deal when it came time to buy them...I also wouldn't be so afraid of buying them to find that I don't like them as much as I thought I would, because the money spend wouldn't have been so significant.

That being said, I think that I would eventually get bored of them if they were very cheap, as I'd be able to buy all the dolls I wanted when I wanted...so maybe the fact that they're expensive isn't such a bad thing!

4. I doubt I'd have more dolls but they'd definitely have WAY more stuff in terms of wigs, eyes, clothes, shoes, etc.

5. I think a big part of the hobby is working hard to earn the money to get a doll. This means since you have to work harder in my mind u think more about what doll u want. And because of this the doll becomes more special to you and reminds u of how hard u worked to get it.

6. If price wasn't an issue-- I'm pretty sure my dolly family would look a lot different. More of the ones I haven't bonded with would be in new homes& I would probably have twins/triplets/etc of the ones I do love-- but with different face ups haha.

I would definitely have more doll accessories and clothing though. Lots and lots of clothing and shoes :D

7. I don't think my population would get too huge, though I'd probably be more impulsive. I'd be more willing to experiment, for sure.

8. I just collect them if I do like them! It isn't how much they cost, is how nice they are to be your favorite! If they are not expensive and adorable? I will keep on buying those bjd which wins my heart until the ends. I would ready to get a room of bjd,hahaha ~

9. .

#169 Gintsumi, Apr 30, 2017
      Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    10. even if the doll is less expensive, I still think quality over quantity XD I will buy the one that I really2 love rather than just buy as many as I want :') because I really want to save the excitement when I receive the doll though XD

11. If they were cheaper I would have more and be more okay with doing mods. I'd probably still be in the hobby because the art and customization is what i love!

12. If dolls were less expensive, I think we'd have more of a community, which I would love. There'd be more people from more socioeconomic backgrounds enjoying dolls, and people would be able to spend more money on doll accessories, so we'd have more complete dolls! There would be more experimentation in styles for dolls, too. It's not that I'd want doll artists to be payed less, but if the price of resin lowered due to becoming more accessible and less hazardous as a material, I think both artists and customers could enjoy the hobby more! Casting would be much less risky and with less junk casts, and preorders wouldn't need as much money for up-and-coming artists, or a high preorder minimum.

I think overall we'd have less people pining over dolls and more people enjoying their collection of dolls :3 especially with limiteds...
      I would have a few more dolls in my collection, as well as having more money to spend on photography equipment and sewing tools, as well as doll customisation supplies, so there would be a lot more to enjoy with them, and I would have more of a community presence and content to enjoy with other people.
      I can see where to price being part of the appeal is from, though - dolls are very luxurious. It's a really nice feeling, depending on just how relatively expensive the luxury is! It'd be a slightly different hobby though, maybe more akin to silkstones or monster highs.

13. I would still want them and enjoy customising them (although I'd have to be careful not to buy too many, as I get overwhelmed easily; the actual price of them helps with that). However, I have to admit the cost/status of them is somewhat of a draw to me. Not in a materialistic or elitist way I don't think, more so that having to work to save for and be selective about choosing a doll makes them feel that bit more special.

I can see a lot of positives if they were cheaper from a community point of view though, as the poster above me has touched upon.

14. If dolls were cheaper I'd not waffle so much over it. Over company prices vs dealer prices, vs second hand market, "shit is that a recast?" worries ect.

15. id love them the same really. i just feel like more people would be into this hobby if it was less expensive. one of the things i hear from people outside of the hobby is ‘wow, expensive hobby’ lol. theyre not wronggg.

but i dont think id have more dolls, maybe a few more. i think id just have more money to spend on stuff for them and in general. i also wouldnt have to wait as long saving up for them, which would be nice.

but maybe the expensiveness is a good way to make people stay committed to the hobby? every cloud has a silver lining i guess lool.

16. well... if bjds are cheap, the everyone can buy them and buy a lot of them, then this hobby would be something that everyone can get into... in a way that makes for a bigger audiences & communities...

but then... as a hobbyist i would probably find it less fun.

it's like when a manga that i was following, that's famous among certain circles of people, suddenly exploded & became known by everyone even non-manga fans... i'd be like... dang now i don't like it as much anymore... that kind of feeling...

#176 sureya, Sep 6, 2018
      Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    17. If our dolls were less expensive, like barbies, I probably wouldn't like them as much, because they'd probably be of a similar quality to a barbie, and I... don't like barbies. Resin is not cheap, the skill that goes into making the sculpts is not cheap, and I am very happy paying for quality.

18. I think if bjds were chesper my house would be overrun by dolls completly as i already collect other dolls to

19. I think they would lose a big part of their meaning. To me they are more as collections than toys. So their value play such a big part. Also I would have a house full if they were less expensive XD

20. If companies sold B-grade products (which some already kinda do) then I wouldn't mind if they were also priced cheaper. I'd buy a lot but issokkkk