1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If family ruined your doll...

Feb 18, 2012

1. I would put it down to a lesson LEARNED. NEVER AGAIN. That kinda thing LOL.
      I have my dolls in a room which can actually be locked from the outside so it would not happen thankfully.
      My dolls are kept away from anything like that ever happening.

No I wouldn't ask someone I invited into my home to pay for the doll and I would decline if offered.

2. Wow that is a really difficult question. I know I would definitely be heartbroken and it would of course become an insurance issue, whomever it was ruining my doll.
      But I don't think I could get angry with a child, because they don't know the value. It's the adult looking after them that was lacking in responsibility. I would definitely get angry with them. But before that would happen. I will always take these things in consideration and I am always aware of my dolls and when I know children come visit, they will not be anywhere near them. I usually keep my dolls in a separate room anyway.
      If someone would deliberately ruin my dolls .... I hope they have health insurance. :3

3. what would you do if someone in your family broke or ruined your doll in some way?

It would entirely depend on my relationship with that particular family member. My closeness to my family is pretty much limited to my grandparents, mother, and brother. (living on complete opposite sides of the country has left the vast majority of my family on a pretty impersonal level).

If my mom or my brother broke or ruined my doll, i'd be very upset, but i also know they'd pay to replace the part without being asked, i wouldn't need to bring it up.

If it were just about any other adult in my family i'd ask them to pay the cost of replacing or fixing the doll, as my funds are limited and i don't like to pay for other people's mistakes. That is pretty much why no one handles my dolls but me, my mom, or my brother.

Would you feel different if it were adults or children? If it were your immediate family or further relatives?

No, I'm not the right person to try the whole "they're just a kid" line on because i really don't like kids and won't let it be used to excuse obvious bad behavior. I look at it in the more legal sense of your parents are responsible for you and your mistakes until you are 18. If someone else's child were to damage something of mine i'd follow the example my parents have given me.
      They had a friend over who had 2 children that were unholy terrors and kicked holes in the bathroom door (it was one of those thin double panel doors), dropped electronics (unplugged thankfully for the fish) in our fish tank along with a multitude of other problems.
      My parents threw the entire lot of them out of our house and had them pay for the damage of repairing our house and replacing our ruined electronics Because they failed to teach their children how to behave when they are a guest in someone else's home or even try to discipline their children for how they were behaving while they were here or even attempt to stop them from ANY of the actions they did.

For example, say if you were having your aunt over and your aunt had a younger child. Perhaps you have to run to the store for something, and your aunt stays with the child. When you come back, you find that the aunt isn't watching the child, and the child has found your dolls and is coloring them with markers or crayon.

My dolls are in my bedroom in a rather difficult to reach spot. In my opinion the bedroom is one of the most personal rooms of your home and NO ONE has any right to be in there without your permission. If the aunt or her child were in my room i'd be pretty furious from just that.

If she sat there and allowed her child to destroy something of mine it would be a complete lack of disrespect and would reflect very badly on her skills as a mother. It doesn't matter what the cost of something is, you should teach your children to be respectful when they are in someone else's home and around other peoples things.
      It's basic manners and children, even young children can understand this. When i was 4 i understood i shouldn't pick up someone else's things without asking, i shouldn't take food or beverages from someone else's refrigerator without asking, I wasn't allowed to go wandering through someone else's house and things, and i wasn't allowed to act rowdy in public or at other peoples houses.

So taking that into account, a child much younger wouldn't be able to get the dolls themselves so the adult would be completely responsible for what happened. And it'd be pretty obvious that a doll displayed in someone's bedroom has some important value to the owner of the home.
      However i don't plan to allow children into my home so this shouldn't be an issue.

What would you do? Would you demand payment form the adult?

Absolutely, they should have been minding their children while alone in someone else's home.

What if it was the adult themselves-- who accidentally knocked the doll over and broke it or something?
      I probably would but it'd depend i guess. If it were a scuffed faceup or a broken finger, i'd probably pay to have those replaced or fixed but make a firm point they shouldn't have been messing with it to begin with.
      If it was something that would require an expensive replacement (like replacing the body or the head) then yes i'd have them pay for it.

4. I live with my aunt, but my dolls are in my room, safely on their shelf, so the likelihood of her even touching them, much less damaging one of them is minimal. That said... if she DID... I would probably just have to suck it up, because I live there for free, and I'm not going to admit how much they cost to demand her to replace it :XD:

5. I would be absolutely heart broken if someone in my family broke my dolls, and depending on the family member, I know that they would not have her fixed. (I.E: My Evil Sister-in-law) It would be a very "It's just a toy" argument. TT_TT

If someone's child colored her, I would be horrified! Why would you color on my doll!? Why would anyone color on a doll!?
      I feel that with children, I show my doll off a lot more. I let them know how important she is to me, and how to properly hold her. If you explain to children, and show them how you feel they generally understand.

6. Depends on who and what damage they caused.

A minor scratch, I can deal with, though I would be upset at the carelessness.

Severe damage....somebody would be buying me a new doll. If it got knocked over or something, it would be my fault for leaving it in a bad sopt. But if somebody was grabbing without asking and being rough and broke it....I'd have issues.

If it were a case of a parent not watching the kid, then the parent would be paying for a new doll. I have never had a child in my house in the nearly 3 years I've lived there and don't intend to. I have far too many breakable and collectible things that could be easily damaged, and yes, kids ARE curious and get grabby when excited. I just prevent the entire mess. in public, I'm rarely around kids, but if I do have my dolls with me, I'm very protective of them. My husband is too, and just about smacked a kid for grabbing at my dolls once...I did NOT ask him to, it was reflex...and he immediately asked, rather loudly, where their parents were....of course, the parents still ignored us and their kids. A case like that is just bad parenting, and if my doll HAD been damaged, I would have been demanding compensation from the parent. Doesn't matter what the item is, you just don't let your kids damage other people's property! You wouldn't let them key a car or rip up the neighbor's flower bed or cut up your best friend's clothing, why on earth would damaging a doll be okay?

7. I'm really bothered with how she behaved. What type of behavior is that to do to someone you care about? It was like she purposely destroyed something you loved just to punish you emotionally. I would never be able to fully trust a person again if they had no respect for me and emotionally mistreated me like that.

8. Oh dear :( yes in anger that would be bad. I am guessing some other unrelated things must have been going bad for her at that time and that was the last straw or something. HUGS.

9. Since I am "Auntie Shell" to 7, I put them far away when they are around.Especially my 4,6,7 year olds who know where they are and get tempted to look. I do my best to be in there with them for a few minutes and then that's it. The two little guys wanted know EVERYTHING about my vampire doll.
      Oh but I love them dearly and I know it would be an accident. My whole family and most of my friends
      know I collect expensive dolls they wouldn't attentionally break them LOL
      [​IMG]
      Shane,Ciara & Ryan my favorite BJD's:aheartbea
      Shell

10. I would not be as forgiving. Sure, they're kids, but everyone in my family knows that these are not normal dolls, they're expensive, and they should not be touched without permission. The kids would also understand, the but real fault lies with the adult who is not watching them. Someone would definitely pay for the repairs, and I would be really angry with whoever was involved. It would be a while before I could probably forgive them, no matter how much I love them.

11. My thoughts: If the child being watched by said adult was not being watched I would expect some kind of compensation from either the supervising adult or the child's parents. Now If I had left the doll sitting on the couch and the kiddy got at it well, that's my own bad. But if it was put up, far and away some some how the little love still got the doll, possibly by nefarious means... then it would be on like donkey kong. I would absolutely forgive the child... right after the cost of the repairs where negotiated.

12. I could say honestly if someone in my family broke my dollI would be so pissed off. however you do have to remind yourself it is just a doll. no matter how expensive it was it is just an object and no object is worth a bad with your family. of course you might feel a little different about it if it was an obscure relatives but you do have to remind yourself they are your blood.
      Would you give up your family for just a doll? for the teenagers on here (and I am one as well) many of us get blinded by anger and are quick to judge and blame our family particularly restricting parents. but you do have to know that they still are your family and family matters more than anything else in the world.

it doesn't matter whether you're on good terms with that family member or not, if you care about the doll so much more than you would care about your relatives then there something wrong there. Now say you are an adult and a little child broke your doll, perhaps your nephew or niece. I really don't care what you think about this issue but the thing is they're a child. it's in our nature to try to play with toys. regardless of whether it was a careless mistake on the part of the adult, would you really harden your heart to a child?

not thinking of anyone in particular sometimes I think people have their priorities messed up. REGARDLESS of what YOU would definitely do, I always give everyone else more of a leeway than I would to myself.

13. If it was an accident, I would hope to at least get help with replacing/fixing the issue monetarily.

However, if it was on purpose... I would raise HELL. Nothing I could do could justify destroying one's personal property. I would constantly badger and insist for a replacement or some sort of compensation.

Not dolls but: once I did something bad (stupid) and my father took all my drawings and ripped them to shreds. You cannot replace those. You simply cannot.

That can somewhat apply to dolls. Depending on how they were 'ruined', you might not be able to get the same doll back. It simply will never be the same.

When it comes to children... well, let's just say I don't know what I'd do. (Plus, I don't have any children in my immediate and extended family.)

And all of this can be negated if I just left my doll out in the open where everyone could touch/potentially break it. That would be stupid of me, and would definitely be partially my fault.

14. I would be a bitchy spoiled princess and ask the aunt to refund me. simple as that.
      even if it wasn't something valuable, who the hell allows their child to take stuff that don't belong to them (them = the child or the parents of the child) and let ruin it???? >.<

even if it was just an accident, like knocking the doll over, depending on the damage I would ask for compensation (I would obviously do the same if it was me who broke someone else's stuff)

15. I would be upset - crying AND rage type upset... but I would do my best to hold it in if it were an accident.

Firstly, I would try to prevent this. I would explain to any children who enter the house that it is delicate and they need my permission (and presence) to handle the doll. Certainly, I would show them, "hold the doll like a baby."

But if the child were clumsy or careless, it happens.

I would ask the child's parent (or if it was an adult, the adult who did it) to pay for it to be repaired or replaced, depending on the damage level. For example, if the doll's head could crack in two, I would need a replacement. I don't know if that's a possibility, but I had a nightmare about it recently. And the worst thing is, the nightmare was about a limited edition elf-eared doll. ;o; I digress. Ahem. So, anyways, I would ask for the price I paid for the item and/or current value if it was limited in some way.

If they refused under the, "it's too expensive!" then I would remind them that, well, "listen, I understand your complaint, but don't you think it's unfair to put me out for that much money? I will prove to you the price and write up a contract, so you can pay me back over time if you can't afford it all at once."

If they refuse that, then I would threaten legal action if the item(s) value was over $350. If it was under that, I would simply take matters up with their relatives/friends to ask for their help. That way, I'm not a monster for getting a lawyer or judge to talk to them over "such a small amount", but I can still get my money.

16. Threads and discussions on DoA really need to focus on the actual ABJD themselves rather than speculative morality issues. This thread is really more off-topic in regards to individuals, families of individuals, what-if scenarios, etc., than it is on-topic about dolls.

Thanks for understanding!