1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If I ONLY get two dolls of the same sculpt, am I a single doll owner?

Mar 2, 2011

1. Yes, that's it!

2. I don't think you can stereotype yourself down to a "one doll owner" there are lots of different kinds of owners that own one kind of doll just like there are many different kinds of owners who have 14 kinds of dolls.

You are a person who has purchased 2 dolls that are the same face but different resin. That doesn't matter.
      What are you going to do with these dolls?, that's what matters. are you going to spoil them and make them share everything? then you can call yourself a "spoiling as if I owned one doll" but is one going to be one character while another different? then you are a "spoiling twins" essentially.

People chose to have single dolls for various reasons. You can only afford one, you want it to the THE ONE, you are only allowed one by family, etc.

your mindset is whatever you make it. You can make them share everything and treat them like one doll, or have a clear divide as who's who and that's that.

I mean, i believe the way that you're talking, this brings me down to near half my number of dolls. Several of them share bodies, clothes, and shoes. And at one time even eyes. I still feel like I own a ton of dolls though XD I wish I could feel like I own 7!!! would make my wallet feel less pain. But, for me the truth is, I look at them on the shelf every day and there's 14.

3. This has been a really interesting thread to read. I've been watching it progress since it was posted and I finally feel like I have enough of an opinion to post on it. I really understand what a lot of people here are saying, which is odd that I can relate to all of them so well while quite a few people are saying very different things from each other.

I think it is possible to have a 'single doll owner mentality' while having multiple dolls, but not everyone is actually like that and in fact the people like that are the minority. I think that has been proven by the amount of vastly different responses already posted. Like how some people have twin dolls but view them as one doll or some people have twin dolls and view them as different dolls. These things are quite different person to person and I find that really interesting. In other words, I don't think this is something that can properly be stereotyped into 'single doll owner mentality' versus 'multiple doll owner mentality', there is a lot of mentalities in between and even far exceeding those two listed options.

For me personally, I think I am a mix of both or perhaps it would be more appropriate to say I cycle back and forth between the one and the other? While I've always been the type to collect dolls in pairs/twins, it has always been different between each set of twins in the past. With some I considered them to be very much like two dolls, with others it was more like having one doll. Although, thinking back, I'm not sure that is a totally accurate statement. I think it was more like there were some I viewed as separates and some I viewed as sets. Yes, I think that is a much more fitting way to describe it.

In the past, some of those twins were exactly identical and some had one difference between them or multiple differences between them. Like one would have long hair the other with short hair but otherwise they looked the same. Or one would have a different hair and eye color than the other as well as be dressed differently, making the only thing in common between them the face. So yeah, to end my rambling I can totally understand how some people can view multiples of the same sculpt as the same doll (even when different) and how some people just can't wrap their head around it at all(even when they are the same).

4. I have 2 dolls of the same sculpts, Piper and Prudence are twins but both are distinguished in how they look
      and are different dolls, I don't see them the same at all

5. You answered your question when you asked it, you know. You own two dolls but technically you own one sculpt. The words "sculpt" and "doll" are often used interchangably, but those aren't the same thing. Doll is the thing and sculpt is the type. Two things, one type. I've read this thread over and over but I don't understand what the big deal is or why anyone's breaking out their philosophy hats. :-|

6. Because like wearing party hats, philosophy hats are fun to wear and make life more enjoyable while wearing one. ;)

7. I like the twins analogy here, actually.

Say a parent (or a couple) only wants a set of identical twins. Same sculpt, if you will, but they still want two children (dolls). Do they buy one set of each outfit? One pair of shoes? Do they only feed one? No. They buy supplies for both babies. Either matching sets or different ones, but they have the intent to feed, clothe, and shelter both babies as separate entities. Are they like parents of only one child just because they only have one unique face to their offspring and don't want a second face? Hardly. Even if the twins look 110% exactly alike, dress in the same outfits and grow at precisely the same rate, they are still unique and are loved separately.

Or the cats/dogs/what have you pet: Just because you only have eyes for a particular breed/coloration and you own two virtually identical animals and want no others, you are not in the same category as someone who only owns one of their "this or nothing" pet.

The OP her(?)self even said that the dolls in question were two different skin tones. That alone makes them unique enough in their own right to make for a multi-doll mentality. The only way you could say you're a one-doll owner is if you basically consider both dolls the same entity, and you just use the darker doll for when he went to the beach and got a tan, or something along those lines, and put the fairer one in a box during the summer.

8. I don't think you would be a single doll owner because hey you technacally own TWO dolls. Twins are great :D