1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If someone broke your doll?

Jul 11, 2009

1. If they touched it without my permission I would get them to pay. I rarely consent to anyone but other trustworthy doll owners or customisers to touch them, just so I wouldn't have to hurt a friendship with someone over a broken doll.

2. I allow young children to hold Newt, and if it was a child I allowed to hold her that broke her- I wouldn't demand the parent pay for her. That was just me being foolish (of course, I wouldn't turn down any help in replacing her either lol)

However, If it was someone who was old enough to understand when I say "it cost 'X'amount of money and is breakable" and they still broke it- they would definitely pay for what they broke (for their sake I hope its her hands).

If it was a limited? Well, they would never be allowed to hold my limited (if I owned one).. But, if they went into my room, got him, and broke him--- They'd be buying one of the marketplace :lol:

3. Depends on the situation. I really only bring Sanyu out in public when I go to meets. And I expect a fellow dolly owner to understand the severity of the situation. Not to mention that the people I know around here are awesome and nice. ^_^

But, to be honest, if it did happen to my Sanyu... I'd cry. XD She's a normal skin old B-Line body Shushu, so it's not like she's a limited or a tan or something that isn't fixable. But I'd still freak out and cry. Because I'm a spastic baby who still gets nervous when re-stringing her dolly.

At a local meet, it would probably end up with several people trying to get me to stop crying, someone looking over the damage and quickly figuring out how to fix it, and some one already breaking out the super glue/aesthetic supplies. If it would require replacement hands or something like that, some one else would already be on a local computer browsing the marketplace for spare parts. XD That's just how awesome the people here are, honest! I'm confident that despite my lack of brain in such a situation that it would be resolved quickly.

But let's say it's at school and a class mate drops her. I'd probably, to be honest, would actually cry out in shock at first. Then I'd quickly grab her up... and if there was damage, I'd cry. If it's hands, I know they can be re-ordered, but I'd still cry. I'd be sobbing if it damaged her face or her body. I mean, little nicks and scratches are not much... but if she cracked I would just freak out. Plain and simple. And the whole class would stop what they were doing to crowd around this poor person and myself to see what I'm crying over. And I'd ramble on about not having the money to fix her and how she's my first doll and only doll I own and how much she means to me... all the work I put into her... how hard I worked to save up for her... And then classmates would probably team up on the person and, well, if the person had a heart they'd feel TERRIBLE by the time I got calmed down. After I got calmed down I'd sniffle, probably say something like 'I don't know what I'll do... replacing that part costs (insert price here) and I just don't have any money now with the medical bill and getting the car repaired... (insert sniffle)' and see how the person reacts.

When all is said and done I'll eventually cradle my poor dolly as I go out to the hallway to call Gennii, who would then be the unfortunate one who would have to listen to me freak out all over again. If the person doesn't offer to help pay for the doll, Gennii would know how to fix it, if only temporarily.

No matter what, though, I'd feel terrible because I've tried so hard to take good care of Sanyu. It would be a horrible trauma for me. :sweat

4. I would be in shock and cry....

Most of my dolls are not really replaceable because they are custom....

For fingers etc, I have bought spares just in case.

Thus far only one have fallen on his face that I need to do surgery.

The SDF randomly had a broken finger but I fixed that with a spare hand

5. If it's something easily fixed then yeh know...I'd be upset and maybe not be so willing to let them hold my doll even if it was an accident. I don't forget easily. If it was major damage and they didn't offer I'd probably be more likely just to say "...It'll be fine..." while thinking "f-k you I'm gonna straight up murder your ass you rude betch". That's if it was an accident. If their careless behaviour(aka picking doll up my hand, head, not making sure the doll's out of the sun when they were the last one to play with it, etc etc) caused my doll to have damage I'd probably expect them to pay up. I might not say anything but I'd be expecting it. I'd definitely bad mouth them later to be perfectly honest :'D If I didn't know them well I'd be more likely to start yelling or say "what the HELL are you gonna do to make this up to me?" though that's because I'd expect my friends to have some decency in regards to paying me back for any damages ^^; I'd do the same if I screwed up.

6. I've always been one of those types that cares more for others' belongings than my own. I know that if something of mine breaks, the sun will still rise, I'll probably wake up breathing the next morning, and at some point I'll get a replacement. XP
      I've watched Hayvn do a face plant, nearly swan dive off the arm of the couch more than once, and fall backwards daring someone to catch her; and while I do try to save her (except in the case of the face plant; she landed on a soft surface so I didn't worry about it), I don't have a heart attack over it and sigh with extreme relief when I catch her in time. I'm also more than willing to let people hold her if they seem interested.

That said, if someone decided to molest her while unsupervised (I trust veteran SD owners, so doll meets don't count as much) and something bad came of it, I'd probably react along the lines of, "What the hell were you thinking?! How old are you? Don't you know better than to touch things without permission?! Holy crap, sociopaths have better manners than you!" and just... lay into them for being discourteous to a total stranger/'s property. I'm blunt like that. XP And yes, I'd eventually get to the point of asking for a replacement payment, opening that with, "Do you have any idea how much these things cost just in SHIPPING?!" Heilige Scheisse... This is of course assuming they have the "Oh, well" attitude about the ordeal. I won't kick a cowering dog. D:

ooooh but if I damaged somebody else's doll? Hahahaha ooooh boy would I grovel....

7. I was at a meet a while ago and I had Kegan standing with two other dolls (With their owner's permission). Suddenly he pitched and took the other two girls with him, snapping off his pinky in the process. I wasn't too destrought over it, I had spare hands at home. I didn't find out he was broken until I had made sure the other two were alright and then gave him a look over.
      However, if one of the others' hands or something had broken I would have been mortified and more than willing to fix or help replace said broken part and I would expect the same from other hobbyists (Kegan falling was my fault, I saw him going first but couldn't catch them in time). My dolls all sit at meets now unless they have stands or are spotted when standing XD
      Accidents happen and if it were something that could easily be replaced or repaired I would probably brush it off if someone did something to my doll, even a stranger. I wouldn't expect a stranger to really know or even care about their cost though I would certainly make it known if the damage was caused by their carelessness. If they offered to repair it I would certainly take them up on it, but I wouldn't count on it or press it onto them.
      Bigger pieces, like a nose... oh man. I may be small but I've got a big mouth.

8. If I had a doll with me, say at a rehearsal, I would find the safest possible place backstage and in my eyeline (or in the costume shop or director's office, safest places of all), and leave a LARGE CONSPICUOUS NOTE reading 'THE CONTENTS OF THIS BOX COST $300', and let people know beforehand that we were talking an art piece, not 'just a toy', and detail what exactly I would have to do to replace or repair anything damaged, and that anyone who broke it, bought it.

I'm usually very quiet, shy, obliging, the yamato nadeshiko type. For some reason, this makes people fear me... beware the quiet ones, I guess. Since I'm always nice, the people in my theatre tend to try to make sure I STAY nice, just in case.

If it was a household accident and someone else in my family broke a doll (unlikely), I think my parents would put up the money, or at least go halfsies on replacing whatever broke.

Oh, man, at the anime convention I went to, I saw some beautiful dolls but I was way too nervous/shy to ask to touch them, so I don't know if I'd ever be in the position to break someone else's property, but if I had a moment of spectacular clumsiness that cost someone a limb or something, I'd feel so terrible. I know I'd cry like crazy if something happened to a doll of mine, and that I would consider a finished doll 'irreplaceable', and I'd give the doll owner my contact information to be able to work out a way for me to pay (since I doubt I'd have the cash on hand!)

=^__^=
      Anneko

9. If someone broke my doll, I wouldn't let them get away with it. I would hate myself for not speaking up and demanding compensation. I don't care if it's a dolly friend or someone more poor than me.

Only a family member is a different case. Umm, just one. Others would have to pay for the damage as well.

10. I was thinking about this the other day. If I had not gotten interested in bjds and been looking at a nice bjd someone had with them, I would have no idea they were of such a high value. Not just monetary... but high emotional value also. As they are all customized to a degree they are really irreplaceable.

It seems like getting into this hobby you will need to educate people all the time as to what a bjd is. I would think most people would just see a doll. Scary I may just leave it in a box under my bed lol

If I ever broke anything that didn’t belong to me, I would expect to pay. I would feel very bad.

If someone broke my bjd I would feel like some of the blame was mine for giving them the opportunity - "casting pearls before swine and all." I guess I would not expect them to pay for an accident - they happen. Now on the other hand if someone knew the value and carelessly broke it I would expect them to hand over some money.

Seriously a month ago I had no idea these were so expensive, and would have thought I was just seeing a collectable doll. They look expensive to me, but they are more expensive than they look.

- derk

11. If I broke someones doll whatever part would ask to pay to have it replaced or fixed. It's only common decency but if they did it to my doll I guess it would depend on weather I allowed the holding or not. If I had allowed it it might make me jumpy to ever again esp if major damage happened. But if they had taken it without asking I would think this is a person who has no idea what they are worth and so yes any damage that meant a part had to be bought and replaced, I would very much ask for funds. Then hope I never see such a action from them ever again to anyone else's.

12. Given that these dolls are made of resin, I think it takes a lot to do any actual major physical damage to them. However, if this were to to happen to me, I would naturally be very upset, because it would probably be a result of rough handling. Hopefully the person would volunteer to pay to replace the part that was broken in some way, but if not I would probably ask them what they intended to do. Nicely, of course. It would depend on the part that was actually broken as well.

If I were the one that did the breaking, first of all I would no doubt be mortified...because this person trusted me with their doll enough to let me hold them, and while in my care something happened. I would accept any and all responsibility and do my best to replace whatever was broken.

13. Hehe, I love that in-store rhyme <3

If someone else broke my doll while handling it without my permission, I'd probably lose my temper, and yes, they would also be expected to replace the doll - not the part (for resin match reasons) but the whole doll. I can be extremely unreasonable when it comes to people touching my stuff without my consent :lol:

If they broke a fingers or something while handling the doll with my permission, I wouldn't ask them to replace the part, and would probably feel guilty accepting if they offered - it's my doll after all. I'd be upset that something got broken, but I wouldn't be mad, and I probably wouldn't let them pay for the piece.

However, if I were the one to accidentally break someone's doll in any way, I would insist on paying for a new piece, or a new body, or a new doll :sweat I'm odd like that... I would feel wholly responsible and would probably be more upset than they are! :sweat

The only exception to this rule is family. If a member of my family or extended family (i.e. my partner/partner's family) broke a piece of my doll I'd have to ruthlessly demand for a replacement piece - unfortunately, all my family members know how much my dolls cost and how much I care for them so there really is no excuse for them to get broken at home - I don't leave them in precarious places so there's no chance of 'accidental' knocking off of dolls from high perches or anything. Oh, and deliberate damage. But that's a whole nother story and I'm not getting into that :lol:

14. If a close family member broke it, I would not demand them to pay up. Only if the damage were extreme would I accept money from them.

If it were anybody else, I would ask them to replace that part.

I would feel downright awful if I ever break someone else's doll and would most certainly offer (or force?) money over to replace the damage. :sweat

15. hmmm...if someone broke one of my boys it would depend on what part was broken, how easy it would be to fix, and whether or not it would have to be replaced >.<
      If it was fingers, toes, crack in the arm, crack in the leg, I'd probably not be too terribly upset. After all, accidents happen =/
      I'd probably want compensation if there was a crack in the actual torso...but want and get are two different things. I'm not going to actually force them to pay for damages...
      HOWEVER, if they put a crack in the head I would expect them to pay for it to either be fully repaired or replaced >.< and I would probably be somewhat assertive about it.

16. I would be MORTIFIED if I broke someone's doll. I'd probably turn beet red and feel like I owed them the repair and more.

On the other hand, I'm really not a very forgiving person. I also have huge anger issues, haha. How I'd react to doll breakage would depend on all the little intricate details of the situation, such as, why they were handling it in the first place, who they were, and how they felt about it.

If some well meaning but unlucky fellow somehow breaks one of my dolls, I'd probably pity them a little and understand if it was a total accident. I would not really expect them to pay for it but I would really appreciate it.

But I would probably break the person that broke my doll if it was a result of blatant carelessness and disrespect for other people's belongings.

17. To be honest, it'd depend ont he circumstances and context of the situation.

Had it been my own neglect, such as leaving the doll out on a friend's front steps and one of their relatives unknowingly stepped on it while trying to get in. That would be more of my own fault then if someone grabbed or mishandled a doll.

If at a meet, someone knocked a doll over, it'd just depend on the extent of damage. A scuff or two is easily fixable, a crack or broken finger would demand compensation that I'd most certainly ask for. I'd be more inclined to ask the fair amount from doll people and considerable less from individuals who know nothing of the hobby. They'd probably assume I was being selfish asking $100 for a chipped nose. xD

Anyway, it'd depend on the situation and who's at fault.

I've knocked a headcap of one of my friend's dolls into the floor while removing a too tight wig. I was in the process of cutting it. The headcap was perfectly fine but had it scuffed or chipped I would have and did offer to replace or repair it of my own accord. I think I said, "Omg, I'll fix it!" as it fell, me desperately trying to grab for it without knocking anything else over.

In any case, I think it's the onwer's responsibility to care for their dolls and to rightfully ask for compensation when merited.

18. I would expect a replacement part, yes. I have never broken any of my dolls fingers, or anyone else's dolls fingers for that matter. You break you buy. Sounds fair to me.

19. For me it would depend on the doll and situation. I'm kinda clumsy myself. So far have dropped a couple of my dolls on the ground, accidentally slept on one and watched one take out several while trying to pose them for a photo.

However, I try to be super careful when handling other people's dolls. If there was an incident and doll I was holding was damaged I would certainly pay for it. And I am sure most people would do the same for my dolls. Sure I'd be upset especially if it was my Issac but accidents do happen.

Now if was intentional, hoo boy! That person better watch out.

20. I swear, I honestly think most dolls have some sort of kamikaze death wish the way they take everyone down when they're posing together >_< But I know that if I broke a doll I'd offer to pay for the damage immediately. And as for breakage of my stuff, well as long as they didn't do it on purpose I really couldn't get mad. But I think I would politely request some kind compensation.