1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If someone broke your doll?

Jul 11, 2009

1. Ehhh. If I was at a doll meet, I would hope that the person who managed to break my doll would have enough decency to offer to pay at least half of the cost for the damages. Anyway, I'm not the kind of person that would confront someone else about something like that, you know? I'm really shy.
      Of course, if it was something like a finger breaking off but the finger was already cracking, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I would refuse to let them pay, in that case.
      The same thing applies to a hypothetical situation where a stranger somehow got hold of my doll. I would probably start bawling and screeching, and dish out some pretty amazing verbal abuse and inform them of just how much the doll cost. But would I demand money from them? Probably not, unless I was feeling very assertive on that particular day.

I'd have an even worse reaction if I was the one who broke someone else's doll! I'd probably be more visibly distraught than the owner! I would just feel so horrible about it, and I would offer to pay for whatever the cost of the damage was. And I'd probably say "I'm sorry" about a hundred times in, like, five minutes.

2. I expect I'd want them to pay for it, but miserably fail to insist. Shyness is a right pain. If I broke someone elses doll I'd offer immediately though. I'd never cope with that on my conscience.

3. Oh my gosh, if I broke someone's doll--!! I'd probably feel obligated to replace the broken whatever-it-was and probably more after that!! The unique thing about this hobby is that you form a really strong bond with your doll, so breaking it wouldn't just be breaking a piece of fancy plastic, but something that the owner had invested a lot of time, money, hard work and maybe even love in. I'd probably become a dolly hermit and not show my face around DoA for quite some time!

If someone "hurt" MY dolly..... oh my. Well, if it was an accident I'd be crushed, of course, but I'd do my absolute best not to freak out at whoever had caused the damage. With pretty much any part of her body, that wouldn't be too difficult... but if the structure of her face was damaged I'd be devastated. A faceup can be re-done, sure, but... I dunno. I suppose I'm one of those weird, irrational doll owners who sees a lot of sentimental value in these dolls. It would be REALLY hard not to cry if that happened. I'd probably ask for help paying for the repairs, but I'm not one to badger someone who really couldn't pay, especially if it was an accident.

Oh, and God help whoever breaks my Alicia on purpose. I will use the broken resin bits to stab you! STABBY RESIN DEATH!! STABBY RESIN DEATH I SAY!!

4. You all are terribly kind when it comes to asking others to pay for it.
      I guess Im cruel because I wouldnt even let a mili-second go by before I'd tell them they'd have to pay for the damages, if I could somehow get it fixed, or they give me the price I paid for my bjd to get another one :/

5. I would rip them apart! eat them!! then make them pay!!! GRRR....i probably wouldnt let them touch my doll though...if i had one...lol =]

6. We've had meet-ups in a public place and one dad let his toddler go wandering up to the pretty dollies and we rather quickly pointed out that the pretty dollies cost a pretty sum. He got the kid away fast. Now, I have 2 kids myself, but I don't let them wander up to strangers and play with their things. I have the feeling that if the kid had broken anything, dad would have just said we were crazy for paying that much for a doll and he's not responsible for his kids damages, we shouldn't have let the kid play with the toys etc and zoomed off. In which case I probably would have been sending a pleading letter to company involved asking for part/head etc to be fixed. If it was a BJD person - don't know - accidents happen and I guess I'd assume they would offer to pay for it. If it was just a hand etc I don't know if I'd be that worried, but it's really hard to say how you'd feel until it happens. I have spare hands for most of my dolls so I guess I wouldn't freak out too much, but my most expensive/hard to replace dolls I just don't want to take to meets unless someone specifically requested them ie Euclase/Vesuvia are just stress to watch over in case they get scratched etc. It's not worth it every time. First time arrival excitement, sure, otherwise they're staying home.

7. Well, like so many posts I have read so far I am pretty insecure about asking for what I want,(case would be when I watched two shoplifters walk out of my old shop with super expensive bag).

My partner actually did break my doll by knocking him off a dresser whilst walking past. I reacted like a horrid child and made him feel terrible then went into a martyr like state until the grand realisation that it was a finger and a bit of glue and creative silversmithing would make my doll unique:).

If I was taking a doll out in public and a genuine accident of mega doom proportions did happen then I really believe it is my responsibility to care for my doll just the same as when I take my very beloved dogs out, drive a car or carry a laptop. I would be very distressed but I would take on the cost.

8. Gah, if that would happen to one of my dolls I would get so shocked!
      I am quite shy so I don't know if I could could really say "pay up right now"! But I hope that the one who caused the damage would be honest and speak up about it and offer to pay for the damages.

9. I'd want the person to pay for a replacement-part or at least for materials to fix it. If I had seen it myself and knew it was totally accidental and unlucky and not a result of them being clumsy or careless with the doll maybe I'd let it slip but if I knew they'd done something stupid or been thoughtless when handling the doll I'd want them to pay. I mean, I wouldn't break a person's stuff and then be surprised if they told me to replace it.

10. if I break something, I would of course pay for what I broke, which doesn't only refer to dolls.

I only take my dolls out to meetings or to visit friends at their homes. all of them know the prices, so if they break something I expect them to offer to pay for the repair.

if a passer-by wants to check out the pretty dollies, they are always first informed about what they are and how much they can cost. that way, they can decide if they still want to hold them or not :sweat

I usually don't take my limiteds out, though. if any piece of my black elf sha would break, it would be a pain in the ass to get a replacement for, since he's tan and limited. having a customicer repair/fix him could cost a pretty sum @_@ so better not to risk, thus he stays at home

11. if someone broke my doll, I'd be vary upset, but i would make them pay me for what ever broke.

12. If I broke someone else's doll, I would certainly offer to pay for the damages. However, if someone damaged my dolls ... well, it depends. I very rarely take them out for this reason, and accidents happen, but if someone broke my dolls out of sheer negligence or stupidity, then I would certainly ask them to pay, and I would be quite prepared to get into a shouting match over it.

13. I'm usually a very careful person, but if I ever damaged someone's doll I'd feel so bad the only issue then would be not damaging anything else on the way to find the nearest computer to either order replacement parts or find someone online to do the repairs.

If one of my dolls were broken, it would really depend on how it happened. If I let someone I felt I could trust hold them and something happened like they got bumped and dropped the doll, I wouldn't be angry with the person, it was not their fault at all. However, if it was a case where someone seemed trustworthy, then broke the doll out of carelessness or stupidity and didn't offer to pay for repairs/replacement I'd definitely make them pay for the damages.

14. well my sister had once trodden on my dolls foot... and that was about a week after i had got him... and i was in tears T_T cause i wasnt sure how to go about fixing his leg back together without the string puller... but me and my ex boyfriend deicided to bend a hanger and use that instead... *sigh* not the best thing to use but it did its job.... i still have to get a string puller ... especally sinceive on a unstrung doll comming through the post next week *le sigh*

15. If I felt the damage was intentionally done, with malicious intent, then I would expect them to pay, and I would take them to civil court over it if necessary (and if the resulting profit would outweigh the costs). These are expensive items, and in that respect they're no different from any other similar (collectable) investments.

If it was accidental, I'd suck it up and pay for things myself, but I would expect an apology.

16. They would hear me screaming from here all the way down to the bottom of Hell :lol:

17. Only 1 thing to do......BANKAI......Senbozakura kageyoshi....lol

18. Well if something like a finger broke off I wouldn't be as angry but I would expect them to pay me for it. If the face cracked I would be VERY angry and want them to either give me money in compensation or buy a new one. If it was CLEARLY an accident I might be able to let it go. Like my doll was sitting on a table once, but then my friend bumped the table and he fell on the floor...he wasn't damaged but it was weird anyway for him to fall while sitting so I couldn't have been angry if he did break. From the other persons POV....yeah I would pay if something got broke...I'd feel like it was my fault because dolls are precious and expensive afterall.

19. I'd normally be very nervous just letting a stranger touch my dolls let alone hold them. Call it childish lol I get the "they got cooties/germs" kind of feel and get the urge to wash my dolls or anything that I have a strong attachment to (can be my pendant for example as I almost never take it off). Kind of like how most mother animals would hover close to their baby when someone is handling them. I've always been this way since toddler.
      Thankfully not as bad now, since it's only for a few items that I may even get that way. If I don't have a strong attachment to the item, I don't fret as much, if at all. I'd especially have a cow when someone touches or handles something of mine without permission. The only exception to the rule if it's family and close friends, as I trust them to be careful and considerate.
      For my doll I'd give a warning that if they break it, they'll pay for the cost of repair/replacement. I'd say it as politely as I can of course. If they bust it and don't pay or don't want to work out a way to pay, I'd mostly likely get the police on them for damage to property. If they were really nice an very sorry, I may just let it go depending on how much damage there is, but would expect they apologize. If they did it on purpose, I'd definitely get the police on them and if necessary take them to court if they don't pay up.
      If it was someone I knew, they would most likely offer to pay anyways or I can trust to at least compensate somehow, so I don't worry about it as much and would most likely let it go. In general I'd hesitate taking my dolls to any crowded place, just for those reasons. And in general, if I feel I can't trust a stranger to hold/tough my dolls I won't let them.
      Now if I damaged someone's doll, I'd be horrified, apologize alot and insist that I pay for repair/replacement. Either way, I'd try my best to work out the problem. Although in general, I'd be nervous handling other people's dolls and would be content to just look :P

20. I very much think that if someone breaks something, they should pay to have it either fixed or replaced.

I would feel horrible if I did something like break a doll and would without question offer to replace what was lost. In turn, I'd expect the same if someone else damaged my doll.