1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If someone broke your doll?

Jul 11, 2009

1. I would only ask for compensation if they didn't offer to replace the part off the bat. Otherwise, I think most people would actually offer if they damaged something to help replace it.

2. I suppose that depends greatly on who broke what on my kids. Any friend of mine would probably offer and feel horrid and knowing this, I'd be relaxed about it and not take any money from them. I actually enjoy modding and such and if I could fix it myself it's not a big deal. Now, if they dropped my doll and bashed his head in... well, that's out of my experience level and I might take money to help me pay another to fix it. Or get a new head, how terrible if that were to happen.

As for other people, this is exactly why I don't take my dolls out to non-doll related places or activities. I know another doll owner who had her boy out at the mall and was minding her own business shopping, he was in her messenger bag I believe. The highschool brat next to her saw the doll's arm outside the bag and made a snatch for it. Of course, he didn't realize this hand is connected to 60cm of resin and heavy, her boy hit the floor and broke an ear off. His face up was also damaged on that side.

The brat's mother was also in the store, wonderful, right? She's at least a responsible adult? No. My friend explained what had happened, the kid thought the arm was a "zombie arm keychain" and just meant to look at it. To the mother, it was enough he apologized and balked when my friend explained to her how expensive the doll was and how his head was damaged. She had the audacity to tell my friend she was lying and trying to make money off them over a toy! The mother was so loud, it was a huge scene and embrassment on top of an already heartbreaking situation.

The bottom line is: I wish I was there instead of her (I would have snatched out my ipod and shown her exactly how much money worth of damage we're talking about here) but at the end of the day all you can do is hope someone would be responsible and pay for damages. Just remember to the common world our hobby is full of toys or expensive collectables and if that's the case, they shouldn't be out where hundreds of dollars of damage could happen. No one carries around antique vases after all, and those who do might end up responsible for their own damages. No matter who'd at fault.

3. I think it would depend on the situation. If it was likely due to previous stresses or what not, and they had permission, and obviously completely unintentional then I wouldn't expect them to. But if they had not asked, or was being irresponcible, then yeah I would expect to be compensated.

On the other hand if I was responcible for breaking someone elses doll, even with permission, even if completely not truely my fault I would try to compensated them somehow even if they insisted I not worry about it. I'm just kinna weird that way I guess.

4. I'd say that, in my case, it depends. If a friend or a relative were to break my doll or damage any part, I'd be sure they didn't intend to, since they know I like it very much and try to be very careful when handling it. I'd simply scare them a bit by threatening to make them pay, but it's more likely I wouldn't really ask for it.

Ah, but regarding other people... I have this cousin of mine and she doesn't really appreciate any of my things. She has a little child who's just learning how to walk, and children this age want to touch everything, throw everything away, try to break everything. So when he comes into my room I let him play with my little dolls or my gashapons, some of which have already faced his playful curiosity, and I'm not bothered by this... but I am annoyed at his mother's attitude. She just laughs and minimize everything the child does, and never tries to excuse herself or the child (though, I'd never blame the child) for anything that happens. I've told her in several ocassions I'll make her pay for everything her son break just to see if she feels like making fun of me (because she apparently thinks it's pretty funny to see me annoyed and angered when something I own and like gets broken); she usually shuts up after this. But I'm so sure she'd just shrug all responsability off and wouldn't even offer an apology.

This kind of people just annoy me so much. But not just because they lack responsability I'd say, but rather because they don't care about the things you appreciate (guess I'd have to say my cousin also laughs at me because "I'm an adult who likes dolls", *sighs*)

5. Honestly, it depends on the person who damaged him and their attitude about the situation. If they're sincerely upset and apologize immediately, it's very likely I won't ask them to pay. If they offer, I might ask for them help me out with the payment, but never make them pay the full thing. Then I would feel pretty awful. Accidents do happen and I understand that completely. I know they're expensive, but I'm the moron who let him out of my nice dark bedroom, anyway.

On the other hand, if someone took him without my permission, started mishandling him as if he were made of rubber and steel, then shattered his face, I would be ill with fury. I'm not usual uptight or confrontational, but I know in my mind that I would demand that they replace whatever was broken immediately. Not that I could do a lot if they refused, but, I'd try.

If I broke someone else's doll, I think I might cry. One, for losing their trust, two, for breaking something that meant a lot to him/her. I would immediately offer to pay for the damages and probably buy them something to go with their poor resin child as a free gift for me being such a klutz.

6. If someone broke my doll:
      First off let me start that I don't let people I don't trust with my dolls touch them.

If it would happen I would first cry like a baby, curse like a sailor at the person who broke it and yes, I would demand them to replace the part/fix it or what ever.

If I happened to break a doll:
      I would apologize so much and so long the person would get sick of it and replace the part. Off course I will handle everything and stuff.

And I'm talking about serious damages like broken fingers. Not just chips on face-up. (allthough I would curse at the person :P )

7. MURDER 8D <3

...Secondly, collect all their personal information and contacts, and work out compensation and repayment. Whether they meant to or not, I'm not going to let them leave until they take responsibility. If they're willing, all the better. Once the LE gets sold out, there is virtually no opportunity to get a mint LE anymore, unless you're damn lucky on the secondhand market. So I can't really replace my doll in the future. Therefore, it would suck a LOT. :{

If they're unwilling, I would certainly take them to court, and file a lawsuit. 1000$ is no easy sum to lose to chance or some immoral person.

8. Oh, it would depend on the situation for sure. I don't really tend to get into situations in which I can't supervise the handling of any of my dolls, should they be handled by strangers, i.e., at a con, I'm likely to be standing right there... and I don't take my dolls to cons much, anyway.

If it was a friend who was visiting, and they broke one of my dolls, I'd explain what their sentimental and monetary value was, and then let them decide for themselves. (And then I'd go off by myself and cry, lol!)

It would be so heartbreaking if it was a face that got damaged... things like hands are fairly easy to replace and wouldn't really be a problem, just a bit annoying. Or! I could use it to fuel a new strain in the doll's personality or storyline!

Silver linings! Silver linings! :sweat

EDIT: DestinysKeyXIII I would cry too, if I broke someone's doll! I'm not sure I'd recover from something like that... I'd feel so awful! :(

9. If it was at a meet, I would expect the person to have some idea of what they had just done, and how much a repair/replacement piece would cost. If the person offered to help me pay for a new one right away, I would be more inclined to let them off the hook. I would also be more upset if it were the face or the body, instead of hands or feet, since those can be replaced fairly easily.

I think it all depends on how the person was treating the doll that caused it to break. If it broke because they dropped it after not holding it carefully, I would be more angry at them than if they had bumped the doll and it had fallen over on the table and broken a finger or some such.

10. I've seen dolls broken at various meetups, actually.

One was a doll that got a chipped nose and broken fingers--but it accidentally fell over after being posed by the owner, so was no one's fault. Poor owner was shocked and tearful, but everyone tried to be comforting and tell her that there were people who could fix her and the hand could be repaired or glued. I think it was a new doll, too! Very shocking for all of us, since we could totally relate!!!

I've seen a doll fall over by being knocked into accidentally by someone at a meetup! Fortunately, it wasn't damaged.

And I've seen a doll's ear break off because of getting knocked by someone else. The owner was very calm and gracious. It was a limited doll and an elf ear, too! But the owner was cool and said she could easily glue it back on!

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I'd go all ballistic and demand payment, either. For one thing, there's nothing payment would do for my limiteds with elf ears or whatever--it would be impossible to replace them (even with default faceups, every doll, I believe, is unique). Maybe if I had to send a doll off to be repaired... hmmm? Maybe then I'd ask... I suppose I'd hope the other party would offer. I'd try not to go crazy over it, though. I mean, the other person usually isn't doing anything on purpose and they're feeling quite awful about it (I know the people I saw were just horrified). And at meetups, they are other doll owners and they try to be careful, but stuff does happen...!

I've got to say that the one person was lucky that the owner was so calm and understanding about it (and it was a favorite doll of hers, too!).

11. lol other that I'd be (very) angry at this person I might not go berserk on them in public maybe some cursing here and there, I would dislike them for the rest of my life when the doll was handled without my consent. Anyways I'd make sure that this person replaced that part of the doll limited or not. It's something I would do myself if I'd break a dollpart of somebody else.

Sabriell

12. if i accidentally broke someone's doll, i'd feel so, so terrible; and immediately offer to fix it or replace it, depending on the options.

...if someone broke my doll, i'd probably just cry.

13. Well for me, yes no matter how rude It'd be, I'd have to ask them to pay for it. It's not like you can just walk into Wal-Mart and buy another one and it isn't like it's cheap either! lol But if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd probably freak out. @_@ Me and my family aren't very wealthy and the only reason I'm getting one is for grad. xD Well I suppose in that respect, you shouldn't handle it unless you can afford to replace it <3

14. Blood and tears. No matter who it was. May it be friend or foe. Unless they can pay for it. I hardly touch mine incase of breaking it.

15. i think Ballistic is the right word for me.

16. Scratch my last post. It'd be WAR!

17. I'd die, I think!
      But if it would not to be, I'd want blood, not only money. :evil:

18. I won't ask for any payment if the person accidentally knocked my doll over. Like my doll's standing and posing or on my lap and accidentally knocked off.

I would ask the person to pay for the repairs and stuffs if the person was handling my doll and broke/chipped him. My doll was in the person's hands, therefore the person should have been very careful.

But if I broke someone's doll because I accidentally knocked the doll over. I'm sure I'll start crying and apologising and offer to replace the broken parts or pay for the repairing costs. Even if I have to loan money or pay on layaway...*_*

19. They wouldn't be able to pay for it because they would be DEAD. PAY WITH YOUR LIFE.

I'm a very very careful person, so it bugs me when people are negligent. Accidents happen, yeah, but since I never let anyone else handle my dolls, anyone handling it would have had to do so without my permission. Therefore, they should die.

FORTUNATELY for me, being in Japan, at least three of my dolls are easily fixable. I don't know what other companies do, but with Volks's sato-gaeri I can replace any broken part or have limited/default makeup re-done. I know there are some models that fall outside of this, but I'm pretty sure my dolls are covered. It feels like dolly insurance.

With my others, I know there are probably some things like hands which could easily be replaced, but if damage happened to the face or another area of the body ... I'm not sure what I would do.

20. Or maybe berserk. some where in between ballistic and berserk, i think.

What would even be worst is if i broke someone elses doll.
      I would offer and pay immediately all expenses and than die of shame.