1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If someone damaged your doll's faceup?

Nov 11, 2010

1. that person is a dead meat if he/she screw up with the face..then i would ask for a refund or pay me for all the damage

2. I'd be upset, but since I'm not likely to force them to pay if they broke my doll, it's even more unlikely I'd do the same for faceups. Besides, I can just redo them since I do my own faceups. I can't fault anyone if it's an accident.

Which is why I'd never let anyone who isn't an abjd person handle my dolls.

3. I'd never demand money from someone who screwed up a face up. It's my art, and I won't demand monetary compensation for it. Same goes for my drawings. Sometimes someone messes one up a bit, I just tell them it's okay and fix it. I may have lost a little time, but...it's really no big deal.

Now, the doll itself? That's not my art, so it's another story entirely if someone breaks it.

4. I do faceups by myself for my dolls and for other people's dolls too so I know how much to ask if something is ruined. Not all scratches and not every damage can be painted or fixed over - in many cases doll require the whole new faceup. And I value my time much more than money, but how people can return me my time (3-4-5 hrs for 1 faceup)? That's absolutely impossible. So I'll ask for the refund. I do not feel this as a rude behavior because I'm taught to pay for any damage caused by myself (or to fix it if I can). I expect the same from others.

5. Well, I started this. I think it's about time I answered my own question.

Before reading some of the responses in this thread, I was actually in the boat of asking for the amount I would charge if I were a professional faceup artist (I am not currently). But I realize this tack is just ripe for abuse. I could tell someone I think my faceups are worth $150, but that may not have anything to do with my actual level of talent or what I could reasonably charge in the Marketplace. If the person who is paying to replace the faceup disagrees with my estimation of my own talents it could start a whole different fight.

I have a lot of pride in my aesthetics work. Even though I love doing faceups I don't want to have to repaint my dolls every time someone is less than careful when handling them. Mind you, I'm talking more about an obviously mussed or completely ruined faceup or someone being stupidly or extremely careless. Stuff happens and I wouldn't be as upset by a small scratch or chip in the body blushing. I wouldn't have a problem letting the person know that I would appreciate it if they at least bought me a fresh can of sealant (plus shipping :sweat).

I really don't care for that word, demand, that keeps getting thrown around. It makes it sound like the person whose doll's faceup was damaged is having a screaming-meemie fit (just IMO, demand seems like a very strong word and I may be reading things into the responses that weren't intended). While I feel it is OK to ask for reasonable compensation, the other person still has the option of refusing. It would be incredibly uncool of them to refuse if they caused damage and I would be much more wary of letting them handle my dolls in the future.

If I was the person to cause the damage I would be heartbroken and would offer to replace or repair the faceup myself. The same is true in the reverse situation. I would expect/assume the other person feels the same way and that they would want to fix what they unintentionally damaged.

6. This is a thought provoking question for sure. I have never allowed anyone I didn't know respected BJDs to touch a valuable doll I own. Other BJD collectors understand the value of an artist faceup and the cost of shipping to have repairs done. We have had mall meetups and I would never allow someone who walked up to look at my doll to touch it in any way. These are very expensive dolls and other than very small children most people seem to respect that.

I would definitely offer to pay if I damaged someone's doll and would expect the same offer in return if they damaged my doll.

7. If someone damaged a face up on a doll. I would be very upset However I would not jump down their throats and scream and yell. What good would it do. I would very claimly take the doll 10 to 1 it was a accident I always tell anyone who holds my dolls who is not a doll person to becareful. I speak politly and work out a deal with the person to get the face up fixed. I see no reason to threaten or yell unless diplomacy fail then you can bring out the big guns LOL

8. This has happened to me in the past when I took my boy to school and some girl grabbed him by the FACE. Her nail chipped his eyeliner, but this was when I first got him and he had a temporary face-up while I was waiting for the MSC to ship. In this case, me and 2 of my friends just yelled at her, ignored her for day or so (because we already barely tolerated this girl) and I patched the face-up myself.

Now, yesterday I got a brand new doll and this is the first doll I have with a company face-up. If someone were to mess up THIS face I would so demand the $50 to have it redone. Regardless of wether they only chipped a bit of the eyebrow off or if they totally ruined the whole thing, I'd still demand the same amount of money since I couldn't repair it (my face-up skills are no where near close enough to patch a company face-up) so I'd have to have the whole face redone.

9. It would depend very much on the situation - unintentional accidents happen even when one is handling things with the utmost care, and if I knew and saw that, I wouldn't feel right to ask for any compensation. I wouldn't be happy - naturally - and as I know the local doll community the person in question would feel extremely bad and likely offer to pay for the faceup anyway.

But if someone harmed my doll intentionally, or if they were careless even after me asking them to stop handling my doll/be more careful, I'd most likely ask them to pay - not just because the faceup is damaged, but to teach them to handle others' property with care.

The amount I'd ask for also varies based on the origin of the faceup. For my own works I'd generally be content with the price of a can of MSC, but for the few dolls I have with company faceups, I'm not sure what amount I'd ask for (since the companies wouldn't repair it anyway, but because of this, the faceup is actually more valuable to me). I think I'd ask for the original cost of the faceup.

10. as long as the dolls itself wasn't damaged i wouldn't make anyone pay for the face-up since i paint my own dolls, that being said i wouldn't let them off the hook without a stern talking to!

11. I guess it's not only because I do my own face-ups, but also because I simply enjoy redoing them and do so quite often, I don't think I'd react too badly to a messed up face-up. I figure, it happens, and assuming it wasn't done intentionally, I probably wouldn't be upset. I think I'd just ask that they please be careful, because if it happened to someone else, they're probably not going to shrug it off like I do.

12. Ok, this happened to my friend. I was holding her doll, on the way to her wedding, and when our other friend started the car and moved, it jerked, and she fell onto my feet. I had just had my toenails painted, so a little of that got on her face. We went and got some erasers, and I cleaned it off, but I told her it happened. I even paid her to have her doll repainted. It was an accident so all was forgiven. But after it was cleaned off, you couldn't see where the mark was, but Amanda could tell.

Now, she did not have to ask me to pay for her faceup. I told her I would, and I did. But now she has a even better faceup!

13. ! think it would depend on what part of the face-up they messed up.
      Like if some how they got a big scrach on i would tell them how much it was and that they would need to pay part of it (depends on how much the face-up is)

Because if you have people who thing $60 for 'paint' on a dolls face is not art or a waste of money, they are not going to pay it. (Thats for people who don't know about bjds, hobby, ect....)
      It also deepend on how old the person was who did it to the face-up. If they are older people then i would be more likely to make them hand me the money.
      Not so much as teenagers because I think that most of them are self upsest people who don't care about any one but them self. (I am 15, and I know not every one is like this. I just know the people at my school are)
      And if the person is a child, there is no way they are going to have money..... Unless you tell ther parent or the person who takes care of them.

But thats just me. Every one is differant.
      I would be upset. But I am not to good at telling people to not touch my doll's face. So if it did happen, I am sure I would be more upset with my self then the person. Unless they did it to make me angry.

EDIT: I don't do face-up because I don't have the stuff for it.

14. I'd probably be irritated, especially if it was one I did that I really liked. While I do my own face-ups, I've never been able to recreate the same thing twice. If it was from a company, I'd also be miffed, because I'd rather not have to send my doll back and spend the money to get it redone... Oh and if it was limited, ohhh boy I'd be pissed, at least for a little while. Then I'd probably either try to fix it or use the mishap as an excuse to wipe it and try something else.

15. I do my own face-ups and even if I was a professional that charged $100 for face-ups I wouldn't demand they paid. If it was factory I wouldn't demand them to pay, either. I'd just take it as a chance to try my own face-up. I'm the type that would NEVER pay hundreds of dollars to have my boy's face-up done, but even then I suppose I'd be upset but I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.

But honestly, in my experience someone would basically have to scratch the same area repeatedly with their fingernail or something harder to damage the face-up. I've done lots of photo shoots in trees and such and Tovi's face has gotten scratched by branches numerous times and never once damaged his face-up. Not to mention the number of times I've been trying to get a certain pose with him touching his face and his little resin fingers would go skittering across his face and that's never damaged his face-up either. Hell, there have been a couple times when a tiny hair would get into the sealer right before it dried and I've picked at it gently with my fingernail and even THAT didn't leave a single mark. So I really can't imagine anyone hurting his face-up by accident unless they were scraping him against sandpaper or repeatedly scratching at his face for some reason. And any of those scenarios wouldn't be an accident.

If anything, if I paid over $100 for a face-up and it was very easily damaged, I'd be sending a message to whoever did it and explain to them what happened because I know if I charged that much and it was destroyed without what I considered to be considerable force, I would offer to redo it free of charge and apologize that it wasn't sealed properly the first time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I would demand that the person redo it, but I would explain what happened from normal handling and if they offered to redo it then I'd send them the head and if not then I'd cut my losses and redo it myself.

16. I don't do my own faceups. Instead, I prefer to ship my dolls off to have them done by somebody skilled. c: Usually i aim for the $80-$130 range, so if any of mine were ruined I'd probably ask the person kindly to pay for the damage. If they were reluctant to give even a penny then I'd probably be irritated at them and may or may not cause a fuss. ^^; Otherwise I'm pretty calm when it comes to dollie damages.

17. I have dolls that comes with company's faceups (one of which is limited edition) and some which faceups I did myself. I guess my reaction would depends very much on the situation - for example, someone who accidentally ruin my doll faceup (e.g. trying to catch him when he falls) and someone who take my doll without permission.

I imagine I'd be somewhat annoyed if someone ruined a faceup I did myself but I'd just shrug it off and take the opportunity to redo the faceup for my boy, especially if it has been a while since I last did his faceup or if the faceup has since slightly faded. Since I am not a professional faceup artist, I'll probably see it as a way to hone my craft, but I might be a little frustrated because of the amount of time and effort I spent on doing faceups for him (it usually takes me 2-3 attempts to get it right).

It is a different matter if it is a doll with company faceup (limited or default) that I've paid for. I never let anyone play with dolls with company/professional faceups because I am not a professional and I cannot recreate such lovely faceups. I put all my dolls on an enclosed shelf with a "DO NOT TOUCH" sticker on the glass panel. SO if someone took it without permission and then ruined the faceup, I'd be very, very pissed. I don't think I'd outright demand them to pay for it, but I'd expect them to offer to compensate in some way on their own initiative if they truly feel bad about it (whether I'd accept or not is a different matter but I think it is common courtesy to apologize and offer to compensate if you ruin something that you took without permission).

18. I would then get some paint and redo the faceup myself.

19. This is somewhat ironic that I just found this thread. I just introduced a child hood friend of mine to my dolls. One of them has a gorgeous company face up and should literally kept rubbing it. I warned her ahead of time the face up could come of and that it alone was worth about $70 yet she kept doing it. My way to try to get her to stop was by saying over and over "It can come off, the face up is worth alot it can smudge blahblah."
      On my face ups that I do myself i'm not very protective at all, but i would tell the person to be careful.

20. I do my face-ups by myself, and if it was one like that, I would not make a fuss over it. I love doing face-ups, so it wouldn't matter that much. However, if it was one I had had made by someone, I would be really upset and ask for the money to have it redone. (I'm thinking of this because just today I wondered whether to send my girl to a, in my opinion, awesome face-upper who offered works for 15 euros. O.o I would be so sad if I'd gotten one by them and then it was destroyed..)