1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If someone damaged your doll's faceup?

Nov 11, 2010

1. To me it would depend on how it happened. Several factors matter: did I give permission to them to handle the doll? did I tell them (especially people who don't know anything about them) not to touch the face? is it an unavoidable accident?

Being realistic, if it's a loved family member or friend who I have allowed to play with a doll, then whether I get payment for accidental damages that follows is not very important, but most likely they will offer and I may or may not accept.

If it's someone careless who is handling a doll without my permission, then even if I were to demand payment, the chances of actually getting it is not good. After all, there are few ways we could enforce something like that. Not saying that it's not worth trying if the situation demands it.

On another note, the first time I've seen a bjd in person was at the Volks store in California. Looking at the display models I would have never ever imagined that the face ups are not permanent. How did everyone discover that touching the face is a no-no? I found out from this board :)

2. * Would you ask the person who caused the damage to pay for a replacement faceup?
      In my opinion the person who holds a doll is responsible for it since the same moment he/she takes it, so yes. I could be more comprehensive about when to pay for it depending on the intention of that person, but the payment should be made.

* Would the amount you asked for differ depending on the amount of damage (i.e. a small scratch or mushed eyelashes vs. completely ruined [but the doll is undamaged!])
      Of course. I would not like asking for more than what I lost because of the damage that person caused.

* Would it make a difference if the faceup were a limited edition or if it were the company default?
      It would. I think one faceup and the other do not have the same value on the second hand market. The more expensive it were the cost of getting one or another, the more that person would have to pay finally.

* What if you do your own faceups? What if you're not a professional faceup artist?
      If I could make it by myself, I would probably ask for the cost of the supplies I would need to repair the damage only. If I had to order it, the guilty of the damage would have to pay the whole (Cost and shipping).

* Should you ask only for the cost of supplies (MSC, pastels, etc.) or would you factor in the time and effort it takes to do the faceup? Does it matter if you have spare supplies available?
      I am not pretty sure that is the only I should ask for, but I am almost sure that is the only I would ask. The fact that I had spare supplies available would not affect as I would have to use them and pay to get more spare ones.

* Would your estimation of your own faceup talents affect the amount you ask for? (i.e. some professional artist charge as much as $150, while others only charge $15)
      If I had to choose and option to make an estimation of an amount for my own faceup, besides the supplies needed, it should be, more than my talent, the effort I put on it (Time, tries, difficult things,...), but in this case I keep thinking I would ask just for the cost of supplies.

3. That's a really good point! I knew from the beginning the dolls were customizable only because the first time I saw them was a forum for resin figure kits (garage kits, anime figures) and everyone shows off what they painted there. It's been awhile, but I guess I need to remember to tell people new to my dolls the face is even more delicate than, say, their fingers.

Would you ask the person who caused the damage to pay for a replacement faceup?
      I don't know... asking something like that is pretty forward. It would really depend on who it was or how the damage happened.

As for how I'd react-
      I'd be SO upset if they damaged my doll in any way. I would sulk and not be understanding at all; which is also why I'm really careful with my dolls, and they stay home far away from danger. and children. Whether it was the face or the body, or any accessories even, I'd be pretty much just as upset.

but I think the easiest thing to replace might be the hands? since it's usually a readily available part. the problem though is that every resin batch and even the sculpt will be slightly different. I'm picky and I want my dolls to stay exactly as they are, they have factory face-ups and I do not paint. One of them is a limited doll too, and I bought him almost only for his face-up so for him I would really freak out.

Yeah, face-ups can be redone, but for me it'd be a monumental chore. And I'm a collector at heart (of many things), and you can't really collect something that isn't official (like a homemade face-up).

4. -Would you ask the person who caused the damage to pay for a replacement faceup?
      No, However I do my own makeup so it's not as big a deal... I would not even be mad unless they did something I had told them not too or I had not said it was ok for them to touch them.

-Would the amount you asked for differ depending on the amount of damage (i.e. a small scratch or mushed eyelashes vs. completely ruined [but the doll is undamaged!])

Mushed eyelashes, if they could be unmushed would not be a problem... If I could not fix them, I would not ask for them to pay as they are cheap (the ones I have) however I would be alittle irritated...

-Would it make a difference if the faceup were a limited edition or if it were the company default?

No, I washed of my dolls faces when they got here anyway~XD I like to do me own makeup.

-What if you do your own faceups? What if you're not a professional faceup artist?

I'm far from professional, so each time they get messed up is somewhat of an excuse to have fun doing their aceup again~ However, when I do a really good faceup... I would be kind of sad...

-Should you ask only for the cost of supplies (MSC, pastels, etc.) or would you factor in the time and effort it takes to do the faceup? Does it matter if you have spare supplies available?

If you asking for money, as it was a faceup you payed for, and they messed it up... Unless it totally not really their fault then they should even offer to pay!I know if I messed up something of someones I would say I would pay~ With it being something like a ABJD... and you would have to ship them somewhere and wait I would facter in time more as a stress factor.D: It's scary to me having my dolls shipped.

-Would your estimation of your own faceup talents affect the amount you ask for?

If it was replacing my own faceup, even if I was professional I would most likely just ask for the money for the materials... I have fun doing it and I don't have to ship them somewhere. I would most likely not bother having them pay me however.

Really tho... I would be pissed if they did anything to ruin them... I mean, it isn't that hard not to ruin the faceup... unless you do something that I told you not to do You really would not ruin them in anyway~

#44 skyf, Jun 20, 2011
      Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    5. I'd probably be so livid that language would go out of the window. And I'd have to remove myself from the situation before I did something I'd regret.

If it was Aki [having a factory face-up] I'd be the most upset, and probably demand reimbursement for having it redone. If it was Xstian, I'd be upset, but since its not too difficult a faceup, id try and fix it myself. Same for G, but it was my friend who did the faceup, so I'd ask for some cash from the person who caused the damage to reimburse her for her time and materials if she were to redo it for me.

So I don't let people near them unless I'm SURE they will be careful xD

6. I dunno, when people ask to hold my doll I always request that they not touch his face. ( I sort of expect people at doll meets to know this, so when they ask I don't mention it). So, if they decide to go ruin it despite my request, I would certainly want some compensation, but probably not the full cost of his faceup.

7. I do my faceups myself. I'd give an angry stare at the person but nothing more. I CAN re-do it without problem but it would still annoy me as I am very lazy xD

8. I think I'd be a bit sad, but since I do all my dolls' face-ups myself--and while I'm pleased with them, they are not "high art--I wouldn't demand money. I would just fix it myself. If it was a true accident, I would certainly accept an apology, but not money if the doll itself is fine. If it was through carelessness, I would explain the value of the doll once more, and would probably think twice before letting that person handle the doll again.

9. If I ruined something belonging to someone else, I'd want to do whatever I could to pay for or repair the damage. I'd hope for the same consideration for my dolls. I've had custom face-ups done on several of my dolls and I'd have to pay for new work to be done, so I'd hope they'd at least offer to pay for the new face-ups.

10. I have had a friend who knocked part of a face up near the eye before, its no big deal to me. Accidents happen. If they did it on purpose it would be different, but I just filled in that part myself again. Its not worth causing a drama about between good friends in my opinion.

11. I might've said something in this thread already, but for my situation now, I don't see myself sending my doll to someone for a face-up, unless there's absolutely no way around it. I'd have to accept that the past is the past, go find my pastels, get some thin brushes, buy some MSC and try to do it myself.

If I either get totally fed up, or just dislike having a blank doll head, I'll pay someone. But I'd like to try it myself first.

This was me, too. Even after knowing, when I got Emma, I still can't fathom how her face up can be removed; it looks permanent.

I think the easiest thing to replace is probably the body itself. A lot of companies have just bodies in stock, as well as hands and feet, so if something happened to make the hand or the feet or the body unrepairable, I'd just have to get a new one. Even if the batches differed, I would think they'd be somewhere close in color to my doll's head (if the whole doll came from the same company).

12. I'm short on money and can't do face-ups so yeah i'd make them pay if it was a really bad accident. My dolls mean a lot to me and i spend enough money just getting them! :evil:

I've had to pay for scratching a car as i backed out so i haven't much sympathy if it happens to me (>_<)''' I know it sounds mean but there are worse.

But if it was family or a close friend... i'd just do what i could to fix it or consider it part of his uniqueness.

13. I do my own faceups, and I enjoy doing them. So I'd probably just take it as an opportunity to do another faceup. Haha. Anyway, I only let people I know touch my dolls, and they all know not to touch their faces, so if they damaged the faceup, I know that it would be an accident. I'm not going to make someone pay me...

14. I'll also damage their Face..nah, just kidding..accidents are unavoidable..if this happens, as long as that person will apologize, it's fine..anyway, I don't easily let people touch their face-up..hold all they want but never ever touch the face..

15. The day I got Lala, my friend knocked her over and her ear broke off near the tip. The tips of her ears have pink blushing and because of the chipping it became spotted rather than solid. I wasn't mad. With elf ears you always take the risk of them being damaged. I was able to repair it and you can't even see where it broke. I kept the blushing as it is, now. I like the spots, I think it gives her personality.

I have learned my lesson, though. I take precaution when letting people hold her, now.

16. If someone damaged my doll's faceup I would cry and shout at them I imagine >>

17. I recently redid my dollies face up and I had worked really hard and it was finally coming out ok, and then my mom left the room and turned off the light (forgetting I was there) just as I was about to do the eyelashes and I messed up! When I tried to fix it I only made it worse. I didn't blame her but I was so upset I cried! However, now I'm thankful that happened because the next tme I redid the face it came out that much better and I am actually proud of my work now, so in a strange way thanks mom! :D

18. I definitely will be pissed off but I won't directly show it on my face that I'm pissed off :x
      Would you ask the person who caused the damage to pay for a replacement faceup?
      Well, depends on who that person is and how his/her financial state is..
      eg.
      Parents/Spouse: I wouldn't ask because they closely related to me and it would be awkward to ask them to pay :sweat
      Friends: If they could afford, I would ask for half of the replacement payment:|
      Acquaintance: If they could afford, sorry but you have to pay me the full replacement payment for the faceup :|

Would the amount you asked for differ depending on the amount of damage (i.e. a small scratch or mushed eyelashes vs. completely ruined [but the doll is undamaged!])
      I'll only ask if it's completely ruined because if the damage could be self-fixed, then, just fixed it by myself :)

Would it make a difference if the faceup were a limited edition or if it were the company default?
      If limited then, it's sad but it would not make much difference because replacement faceup could give a new look to my BJD :)

What if you do your own faceups? What if you're not a professional faceup artist?Should you ask only for the cost of supplies (MSC, pastels, etc.) or would you factor in the time and effort it takes to do the faceup? Does it matter if you have spare supplies available?
      If I could do my own faceup and I'm not a professional faceup artist, I will charge lower or none for my friends because I think so long as things that I could do by myself, it's not that much of a problem and I would just take it a reason to have a new faceup for my BJD :lol: But if the person who messed up the faceup is an acquaintance, I would still charge them especially those who just touch my dolls without my permission and I think charging them would be a way to teach them a lesson that they should not ever touch my dolls or any other people's ;)

Would your estimation of your own faceup talents affect the amount you ask for? (i.e. some professional artist charge as much as $150, while others only charge $15)
      If it's by myself, I'll charge on the used of supplies only and I would not charge on the time and effort;)

19. I would first ask who did it yell at them and make them pay for a custom face up and shippping

20. How to make you faceup last longer anyone knows