1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If someone was selling a doll head for more would you buy it?

May 30, 2016

1. I consider buying second hand for a higher price a good choice if it means I can get it significantly sooner or if the part isn't available for purchase from the company at the time

2. If it is a limted sculpt I´ve been grailing so hard and would be hard to find secondhand- totally yes! If not, then I would do my research of the condition, shipping, mods etc.

3. I've overpaid before (a full doll, but still). I suggested the mark-up, actually - her faceup was custom and beautiful, she was going to come with a few pieces of handmade clothing and a wig, and she was limited and in nearly-perfect condition. The seller accepted my offer immediately, and didn't mind that my dumb teenage self had to take a week to convince my mom to let me use her PayPal account :sweat
      Really, it depends on how badly you want what you're getting. I wouldn't overpay on something that I could get easily from a dealer or a different seller, but for what was basically a custom fullset? Heck yeah. No regrets whatsoever.

4. Depends on the head and the condition it's in! There are a lot of things that I ask myself when I see a head (or any part like that) for a price higher than the original price. Is it a limited that's been out of production for awhile? If so, how easy is it to find? Is it in good shape? Is it (God forbid) the R WORD??? Can I afford it and still have wiggle room with the rest of my money in case some sort of emergency comes up? I ask myself all that before splurging on a head, and if it's in rough shape I don't bother with it at all.

5. Only if it was a) discontinued from the company and I liked it far more than any of their current sculpts or b) the used item was within the EU and it would cost me more in import charges to get the item from the company. Or it had a stupendous and unique faceup, I guess.

If I feel like I really overpaid for something, it kind of colours my relationship with that thing - I feel slightly guilty and resentful every time I look at it. So it would have to be really worth it to me, or I wouldn't enjoy the doll.

6. I certainly would not. There's nothing so rare or special that I would consider buying it at a markup of the original price. :lol: The only way I'd buy a head for more than the company was asking would be if it came with special eyes/a wig or something like that.

7. Personally, I despise buying dolls in pieces because I always get stuck with something I don't want anymore/ don't have time for.

8. It's interesting that I stumbled upon this thread because for a few days now,
      I've been noticing that the price of Switch heads on the secondhand market varies a lot.
      Also, (mind you that I'm new so obviously I'm no expert here ^^') they tend to be the most expensive from what I've seen these past few days that I've been looking at them (I really want a Switch doll).
      Generally they're from between $180 to $500 USD, I don't know if $500 is kind of the norm for Switch heads though.
      However, to answer the question, I would just rather wait for a full doll to come out and pay $500+ for that than for just a head.
      But, I can see the point of some other people here, it does make sense to purchase them if the heads are within your budget and if you really want them.

9. Depends on how long you can wait.
      I believe all dolls will be re-released until they are discontinued. There is a cycle for dolls companies, and generally you can have a brand new one after 2-3 yrs.
      Only limited dolls with special outfits or makeup values for more in my view.
      For Switch, i would say go for Mocha Brown dolls and wait for NS or RW.

10. Never say never...but most probably not, unless I really, really, absolutelly need the head. I wasn't tempted so far. There is always a chance someone will sell the head for better price or it will be rereleased in future. Or more suitable or similar sculpt will be made in future. I'm in no hurry and can wait.

11. I once paid $250 for a head that was discontinued, but that was a special case. I had been looking for that head for a long time, and the company was no longer making that particular sculpt. I had the money at the time, so I did it.

Normally, I would simply wait for a less expensive head to come out. I refuse to otherwise pay more than $50 more for a head.

Paying a lot more for a faceup from "some famous faceup artist?" No thanks! I have friends that will do faceups for me for a reasonable price!

Ryu

12. I would only buy a head more then the company price if the increased price isn't to big of a jump and or the doll is extremely hard to find. It would honestly depend on how much I want it and the price

13. If it's sold out, limited, or discontinued - absolutely, within reason. I've paid around $250 for a few rarer artist sculpts because I wasn't likely to get the chance again. There are a few sculpts on my wishlist that are only available as full dolls, and those tend to sell a higher price secondhand because they can be tricky to get (Volks FCS, mostly). Even then, I'm not really willing to pay significantly above the average market value.

If the sculpt is readily available from the company, though, no. I'd much rather support the company directly, and it doesn't really make financial sense.

14. It depends if the company said they wouldn’t sell
      That head anymore and how overpriced it is .. for instance I wouldn’t pay distant memory heads sold for $1500 cause I know
      They’re originally $150.. and it’s possible
      She would make it again according to her comment last time . I spent $350+ for a venitu head cause 5th motif said he won’t make it .

I want a kanadoll head and would just rather wait
      For the artist to resell it again..
      Depends on the condition too if they’re limited edition then it’s most likely okay specially if they have custom faceups and the seller just want the cost of the heads :)

15. For sure. I've done it before and I'll likely do it again. My Illusion Garden Unicorn Yuli head was certainly not $380 when it came out, but that's what I paid. It's a very limited head, with only 100 being sold in this release. I then shelled out another $100 for a faceup. He turned out gorgeous and is now one of my favorite dolls. Absolutely worth it.

The same thing applies to many dolls, especially limited or discontinued sculpts.

16. For discontinued, absolutely!

For standard, if it had a cool faceup I couldn’t get from the company. Time wouldn’t be a motivation for me, waiting longer means I have more time to get wigs, ect all ready.

17. I might, I might. First of all, I live in Finland, where I have to pay 24% VAT of everything I order from outside EU, and it goes for shipping too. In addition they charge 12% customs fee. So, I would pay 36% on top of the price fees and taxes if I ordered from most companies (as they are located outside EU). So, if get a head for 200 USD inside EU, it would be better to buy it than new from company for 150 USD. I used to buy everything from companies, but rarely do it anymore. But hey, I'm being schooled to be a lawyer totally for free thanks to this ridiculous taxation rate, and in my job I can rip off folk completely legally just like my government does, so I'm not complaining.

For discontinued heads I would generally pay and sometimes also ask for more than what they sold for originally, depending on the market.

18. Most of the time, no, I wont go over the company price when buying a second hand doll. It would have to be both rare and discontinued for me to do so. If it is second hand and pretty much new, I will pay up to the company price. Also, I will not pay extra on a second hand doll for a faceup, because I am going to wipe the doll. If someone had the doll 5-6 years and it is aging, and I can still buy it from the dealer, I would only buy it at a discount.

19. .

#59 Gintsumi, May 30, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    20. I think that like everyone else has said before me it really depends on the head and the condition of the head. If it was a doll that I wanted that I knew was discontinued, I’d definitely do it probably especially one that’s extremely rare.