1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If Soom released their monthly dolls as a basic line next year, how would you feel?

Jun 9, 2010

1. I think I'd be really happy. Even though I own one of the limiteds and in case she was going to be re-released she is after all original fullset, so the price and value won't be affected at all.
      I, on the other side, understand people who spend XXXX bucks just to part by part complete their dream doll via MP.

Still I think it would be gorgeous, if the released MD's a a basic line, even if they had natural face-ups and the fantasy parts weren't offered. The sculpt is the most important part for me.

And hell, I would jump on the Euclase and won't let him from my arms for a loooong looong while xD

2. I own a Chalco and if they released him as a basic, granted that I could get him in tan, I'd get another one. I don't like the fantasy parts, so I sold them all off. The reason that they are limited is because of the special parts, outfits and face-up.

So even if they did release them as basics they wouldn't have any of the special parts that make them limited, so your doll is still limited. Plus, it's not Soom's fault that you didn't search for the best deal.

Overall I think it's pretty silly to get upset over something like that. Soom is in business to make money, they're not in business to make sure your doll stays a unique and special snowflake.

3. So how would you feel if they released the monthly dolls as just a basic doll?
      Annoyed.

Is it right for a company to present a doll as "limited" (instead of saying, "limited version") and then release it as basic later? Is that lying?
      Like with Iplehouse their limiteds include different skin colors that aren't available in basic. With Soom there are fantasy parts, outfits, and faceups. I think it's still limited.

Would you be upset, and why?
      I would only be upset that I paid more for a human version I often seem to prefer.

Would you be thrilled?
      No. Yet, I'd love an Onyx.

4. I'd be annoyed. There is pleasure in owning something hard to get/low in number when you're collecting. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but I'd be annoyed. I'd be REALLY surprised if Soom did it, though. With Iple it's just become a pattern you can rely on, although I do wonder if they don't come out with the basics a bit fast for the comfort of those who went for the original LEs.

I agree, though, that fantasy parts, faceups, outfits, etc., mean that they aren't being deceitful by using the word "limited".

5. I'd be thrilled to be honest.

There's a few MDs I liked in the past but most of the time I didn't have any use for the fantasy parts, as much as I loved them. Hooves for example .. I think they're amazing, I just don't need any o.o ...
      So if they released just the dolls, no fantasy parts, non of the limited outfits/face ups etc. etc. .. I really don't see any reason to be upset about this.
      I have my 'basic Sard' already (Dia boy ;)), I surely wouldn't hesitate to get others.

6. I'd be a bit irked if the released the complete MD fullset as a basic release, only because I've bought lots of MDs and bits of MDs (some at marketplace prices). But I'd see it as a bit unreasonable of me to be irked about something so petty, and I certainly wouldn't complain to or boycott Soom or anything like that.

However, if Soom chose to rerelease either the head sculpts (without any fantasy parts, and with completely different makeup, and without fantasy colours), I wouldn't be bothered by that at all. And if they sculpted 'basic' releases of fantasy parts (new hoof sculpt, new paw sculpt, new talon sculpt etc), I wouldn't be bothered by that.

I'd also be unfazed if Soom announced they were going to rerelease their past MDs, but under the same system. Ie, for one month in 2011, you can get a Beryl. If you miss that ordering period, you have to wait until 2014 (as they'd cycle through the full Zodiac/Elements/Ying Yang system in that time). It would piss off a lot of people with the really rare MDs (Beryl, Sard, Vesuvia, Onyx), just on principle, but it wouldn't flood the market and completely undermine everyone who paid inflated prices for the 'first' releases. It'd be preferable (for those people who like having limiteds stay limited) if Soom changed the outfits and makeup, but I personally wouldn't be bothered if they didn't.

7. I'd be happy because I really wouldn't mind getting a Heliot head someday, but I don't want to jump through hoops and pay ridiculous mark up prices. I don't want all his animal parts, just the head. If they did it as just the basic sculpt, I don't see why it would be an issue. I would be a little peeved if I owned a fullset and they started rereleasing those all over the place...so I can totally understand if people would be upset about it.

8. That about sums it up for me... as long as the new ones are only human and are NS, I see no issue. It helps the people that sumply love the sculpt and missed out on the MD, and it preserves the limited aspect of the MDs at the same time.

Though there is one kink in that. Hati/Skoll, They were originally NS, so I guess they would have to be released as a "basic" in some other color to preserve the "limited" aspect of the originals.

If they do offer basic fantasy parts, I would like to see them offered in all the colors they have used on the MDs ... it would be a great way for someone to "complete" a partial MD in a way that still preserves the limited aspect of fantasy parts that were released with the MDs.

9. I'd love for them to release their limiteds as basics. I get that of course that would make the limiteds never sell that well (Second hand....maybe), but at least then you'd get the chance to get them when you want. I guess if you bought the limiteds then the marketplace value of it would go down, but a lot of them go down just cause so many people buy them anyways and then don't need them. If you really, truly care about the secondhand prices then I'm not surprised if you don't like the idea, but for people like me who sell dolls as cheap as you can because you just want them gone...it most likely wouldn't matter. ^^;;

If they did do that, then make the fullset a limited time offer, and then release basics. Do what Iplehouse does then. It's true that Soom would most likely benefit a lot more from that. Their MDs sell very well, but imagine if they were always up for sell? O.O

I'm not always a fan of their fantasy parts, and I could live without a lot of them. I also want to swap a lot of their genders so that would be very much love if they would just release them as basics as well. It's sort of how I would die if Volks put SD17 as a option on FCS. The chances of that are never most likely, but I still adore the idea.
      (Disregarding that now it did xD)

10. I'd seriously love it if they did. (Boy Heliot! :D )
      Though, I would prefer if they'd release the dolls in a more 'basic' version. So, without the special face-up, clothes, wig etc.
      Just the head and possibly a body, to have the original MDs keep their limited status a little.

I'm not sure about the extra head they sometimes have. (Like Heliot, Ai and Afi and Chrom)

11. It doesn't make a difference to me one way or another. While the Soom monthlies are pretty to look at, I've had no desire to actually own one. However, I would love to see them rebuild their 60cm line as that's much more appealing to me personally.

About the LEs -- if they took that exact doll and made it into an unlimited, I can see where it would bother some people since they paid a lot of money. However, if they created new fantasy sculpts with the intention of them being unlimited I don't see a problem. Or if they offered a different version of the LE -- something with less special parts and extras. I would also think unlimited dolls wouldn't have the clothing and blushing options that some of the LEs did -- I would think it would be less feasible for an unlimited, so that right there would help differentiate their LEs from non LE fantasy dolls.

12. It wouldn't really effect me, but I can understand why some owners may be upset.

I'd honestly prefer to see new dolls from Soom as opposed to just re-releases of their MDs. Although I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be interested in a human Beyla or their other MD tinies.

13. I don't think I'd be too bothered about it really... All the sculpts I've reaaaalllly liked have been the sculpts floating around the MP, so there's no real danger of never ever getting it.

I would actually really like it if they released them in NS. Even though I have Soom WS dolls, I prefer my dolls to be more naturally skin colour. I know I'd get another Cass in NS in a heartbeat! I remember someone airbrushing their Cass head NS, and she looked so beautiful :D

14. Mixed feelings. I'd be both happy and sad. Sad, because I have a Soom Iv who was a limited and thus quite expensive. I don't use his fantasy parts but the fact that one HAD to buy them with the doll makes it seem a bit unfair to release the same sculpt again later at a lower price without the parts. Also, if they released him in normal skin I'd be doubly pissed because I wanted normal skin and had no option for it. ><

I'd be happy though because there are several sculpts I would love in normal skin without their fantasy parts. It's a mixed bag, really. It would probably piss a lot of collectors off. I wouldn't really be TOO bothered about it, just a little >: [ because of the whole normal skin issue as well as some loss of monetary value though monetary value really has no meaning when you're like me and don't intend to resell!

EDIT: I actually felt I needed to add something. While I don't use the fantasy parts, it was actually what made me want him so in the first place! My husband is fish obsessed and I thought a fish-boy would remind me of him...and it does. :) So I have no resentment at all toward Soom if they ever rerelease him. (Which they probably wouldn't anyway since people seemed to hate Iv and Eliv. xD)

15. I think it can go a few ways.

If they released the 'full deal' as a basic then those who paid second hand market prices would feel jibed a bit and generally annoyed that they paid through the nose. There would be those who wouldn't care as they wanted the doll then and it was the market price. There are also those who missed out on the release or those who want a MD but don't want to pay the second hand market price would be happy because they can get what they want without the mark up. Or those who feel entitled on having an MD for various other reasons would feel it is a very good thing (despite I don't agree with said attitude but hey.)

If they release a basic version of some of their dolls, say a normal or cream white human version of all the dolls they've released so far. Then it would preserve both the 'limited' aspect of the Monthlies but at the same time give those who missed out a chance. Although I personally do not forsee them releasing all the molds as standards as some were more popular than others and its not well good business to have so many that might not sell.

Personal feelings? Nothing too much. If it was scenerio one, then my dolls loose value but as I don't plan on selling them it doesn't make a difference to me. It does mean that I can replace parts without jumping through hoops. If it was scenerio two, then it might open up a few more dolls I would want, but if I wanted the original Monthly I would still buy them from the market place anyway. To me regardless of the rerelease later, the original limited is the original limited and nothing will change that.

16. I wouldn't like it if they released the exact same dolls as basic dolls, because they're limited for a reason.
      Many people would have lost alot of money trying to get the monthlies, sometiems thousands of dollars. Basic sard: 800 dollars or so? Limited Sard + a few years of being sold out: 3000 dollar.
      So yeah.
      Perhaps they could just sell human heads or something.

17. I would LOVE if they released basic human versions of their limited dolls. I've been pining for a Bix and a Chrom ever since I missed out on their original sales, and would love for a chance to buy them on my own terms instead of paying ridiculous prices on the Marketplace.

18. I bought a Delf Breakaway head for a large sum at the market place and right after that Fairyland came with a new release of Breakaway, making second hand prices plummet and the original Breakaways less "limited". Nobody forced me to buy that Breakaway. I bought it, because I wanted it. In case a company releases new versions of your limited you just deal with it.
      In the end it's still a doll.

I'd be thrilled if Soom would release basic versions of their MDs or maybe modified versions. In some cases all the photoshop effects and fantasy parts drew attention away from the actual head mold and after seeing some MDs for real myself I thought they were stunning, while the company photos never made me look twice. I'm going to look forward to see what kind of new basic Super Gems Soom will make.

19. If I could get a non-hooved Heliot in NS, I'd do it in a heartbeat... It wouldn't upset me in the least to see the basic sculpts re-released in more "normal" versions. (And I say that as someone who owns a fair few MDs already-)

20. I would just like to see them sell their heads and bodies separately, so that you could pick what you want. I know that you can gender switch the Super Gems, but I never understood why you couldn't order a Vega boy if you wanted one without waiting for him to be offered in a specific month. All the hoops you have to jump through with Soom to get what you want wear me out. I'd be all right with them releasing some of the MD heads as regular Super Gems/Teenie Gems and I think it's well past time that they offered more types of hands for their dolls. It was also well past time for them to re-engineer their Super Gem bodies-they just don't stack up that well against some of the cheaper doll companies. Someone posted earlier that there was an announcement that they were lowering their prices and I'm glad to see they're doing it-it didn't escape my notice that when the exchange rate tipped in the dollar's favor the last time, most other companies adjusted downward and Soom didn't.

I'm speculating here, but I suspect that they're beginning to realize that the market for people shelling out $1100.00-$1500.00 a month for a special doll time after time is not sustainable. And it's a lot of developmental effort invested for a short term profit. I'm wondering if the MD craze is just burning out-it seems the last couple offerings have been received with lukewarm enthusiasm. You used to see a couple of pages at least of Soom splits and now that's not the case. Soom would be better off investing development dollars in basic dolls that can continue to be sold for a long time, and they really need to beef up their basic line-it's looking rather stale.