1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If Soom released their monthly dolls as a basic line next year, how would you feel?

Jun 9, 2010

1. Personally, I'd be rather happy. As someone who joined the hobby only recently, I've missed out on a lot of the older dolls like Chrom and Monzo~ if they re-released it, it gives me a chance to get a new doll directly from the company without having to keep stalking the MP, waiting for one to appear, and sometimes having to pay much more. I guess it might be ok to re-release it, literally, as the basics -- without the frills and fantasy parts and whatnots. That way, those owning a limited set might not feel as aggrieved, and those that missed out on the doll originally get a chance to bring him/her home.

After Onyx, I'm waiting to see the rest of Soom's re-releases!! :D

2. I'd be totally happy that I wouldn't have to fork over inbetween 800 to 1000 for a doll due to people jacking up the prices. :)

3. This bothers me for an entirely different reason. I loved Soom because of their fantasy parts! *pouts* If they stop doing monthlies, that'd be terribly depressing.
      Perhaps they could sculpt all-new fantasy dolls or option parts? Hmm...

4. I would be thrilled to get human Heliot! I think releasing the Monthly Dolls in human version is ok. For my case, I got my Chrom cos of his wolf parts. But I do agree that if Soom did not state that the doll is not limited, for sure people are going to assume the basic doll itself is limited. I think they made a mistake about telling their customers that for sure they r not going to reproduce the Monthly Dolls, then change their mind and came out with the human versions. But then again, those are in limited amounts. But this could possibly mean that they will release them again some time later. I am fine with them making the dolls into basic line lol, after all, the limited version is special on its own and is still limited face up and clothes and accessories.

5. That would be awesome! Being able to get Onyx would make my life, she's such a beautiful sculpt and, unfortunately, the only female doll that I actually like.

6. Positively thrilled, lol. Maybe then I can get an MD without having to pay the ridiculously inflated prices on the secondary market. :P

7. i would be really happy! i love hteir limited sculpts, but dont wanna pay a lot for them, im not made of money..... i own one of their monthlys (soom aphan) and if he became a basic, id enjoy it because more people would have him, then i could see how different they can make him look ^_^

8. Umm it would be alittle annoying but at the same time I kind of like it i mean maybe I would like the basic better overall I dont think it really matters eitherway.

9. I've been ranting since the begining that that would happen. It's obvious a doll company isn't going to release 20 brand new doll moulds and keep them as one offs. Now they are doing the special order types. I knew it!
      I feel glad for the people that like the face moulds and can now afford the human types but it's really sad some people have had to pay the price of a MD to get the doll that they never thought would be basic.

10. I would jump up and down screaming in happiness. I could do anything for a basic Keny and he is not sold without his hooves and clothes and then become so expensive. :(
      In my opinion they should sell the bodies and head as basic, but not the "magic" items, such as hooves and wings and such. They would earn so much money. I wouldn't care if they were at the same price as the one in the marketplace, just the fact that you could save your money and knowing that it wouldn't go away.

Maybe we should write a petetion and send it in to Soom?
      "We who want you to make Soom MDs into a Basic Line"
      I can write it, who's on? :)

11. I would feel great if they released a basic version. That's one of the things I like about Iplehouse. If I like a doll, but don't want tanned or real skin or white skin, I know it will eventually be available in basic Normal skin. I'm a food for the NS :D

I think companies can do what they want. Just because a doll is "limited" doesn't mean that has to be the only run of them ever. And what if someone likes the doll but doesn't want the limited outfit, parts, colour, etc? The company in my opinion is loosing money by not releasing more versions of it.

So I would definitely not be upset if, say Soom did this. I would be thrilled, because then I can actually get a new doll from them to the specifications I want, instead of hoping that someday someone will get sick of theirs, and wants to sell it after it's all used and yellow and old :P

I stopped collecting Living Dead Dolls when I realized the previous editions were sold out and would never be available again.

If Soom decided to release basic versions, I'd have a few of them by now, like the Glot, the Glatti for example. Instead, I'm going with basic NS versions from Iplehouse and Fairyland, which are available in basic NS when I have the money together :D

12. I'd be very happy if SOOM released their monthly Teenie Gem dolls as a basic line, i'd be happy if they just released them in human form without the fantasy parts as I like them more for their face sculpts rather than for the fantasy parts they tend to come with. I don't think it's at all likely though especially considering they haven't done so up till this moment and time, nearly six years after this thread began. I think it would be plausible to release them in human form but not with the fantasy parts as they probably take that bit longer to make hence another reason why they probably sell them in limited batches. I do think they need to offer more hand parts that you can purchase separately.

13. From's Soom's point of view...a lot of their most popular sculpts are their older sculpts. Every time they re-release something...there is a huge rush for them, so they know there is demand. Because of their, "We'll never re-release the same doll" policy, they've resorted to the Free choice event which garners them huge amounts of sales, which can be overwhelming for them. But a lot of people who prefer their original dolls will buy copies instead of the real thing. This is a problem for them. They could be capitalizing on that instead but they can't. So using Iplehouse's method where the limited are doll+clothes and the regulars are dolls-clothes, might be more manageable in the long run. People won't go off and buy copies but will stick around and wait for their regulars. I also find it quite unfair for their sculptors, to work so hard on a sculpt only for it sell for one season and then, nothing. MAYBE a re-release in the future. In the meantime, they are pressured to release something else quickly.

From doll owners point of view, doll collectors who are in the hobby because they enjoy dolls will be happy because they don't have to sell a kidney just to scrap up the funds. For people who want to make money from this hobby...I think they're in the wrong hobby and I find them odious - hence my aversion to buying second hand. It doesn't matter how much I like the sculpt, if the price is scalping, I can always replace my character with something else. It saddens me but hey, this is the hobby.

14. No it would be a horrible idea because Soom overprices their dolls.

It is already very difficult not to lose money on Soom dolls at their current prices considering their high prices, shipping, and paypal fees. People would never have a chance to break even on re-selling dolls but would lose a lot of money because there are not that many BJD collectors, these dolls are expensive, and the market is already super saturated. Soom would be undercutting their own market and we'd never get our money back on everything we've already invested in. The purchases which are already risky would be a whole lot riskier on the so called limited items.

In other words, you buy a doll at retail price with an understanding it's a limited doll only to later find its a straight out a money loss. You buy the doll at the current soom price (e.g., $1880 for fullset Brett), tack on additional paypal fees and shipping, and good luck finding someone willing to buy that used doll or parts at retail price if the very limited hobby is already saturated. Also soom is screwing us over by often changing the body so that the parts are no longer interchangable. I am not saying to make money but just to break even.

Just be patient because Soom reissues dolls all the time in other variations.

#494 LuvPetdolls, Apr 17, 2016
      Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    15. I'd be so happy tbh... love Soom. But then again one of my favorite things abt them is the fantasy colors (light violet omg <3) and if they released their dolls as basic they probably wouldn't offer those colors. Hm.
      I don't think it's wrong to turn a limited into a basic doll. I guess some people might be angry if they had bought it at a really high price or as an investment or something though.