1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If Soom released their monthly dolls as a basic line next year, how would you feel?

Jun 9, 2010

1. Most times in description of dolls (always I think after 2009) soom say :
      options :
      name of doll -pe. Grit (grey skin)
      face up (LE = limited edition)
      body painting (LE)
      X soom eyes (LE)
      wig (LE)
      dress set (sometimes LE sometimes not)
      shoes (sometimes LE sometimes not)

In those lines I can obviously read that not everything is limited edition , I believe that this means that only painting /clothing are limited and the sculpt not ... I would prefer if they were more clear than that but this shows to me that sculpts were not considered limited by soom almost from the start.
      …
      My answer is that I'd like to see basic the monthly dolls & also fantasy parts ... I believe they should have done this from the first time before scalpers having their party. I was also wondering why they do so much work every month without taking advantage of the benefit of release the sculpts as basics after ... I also believe that their older basics should be kept as basics or at least stay available for a good period of time without schedule or other restrictions as many wanted those and surprised by their decision to stop/limit them.
      …..I believe the whole problem doesn't come of what is limited or what becomes basic ... the problem is soom's behaviour ... -will you keep the super gem line? (no answer) , -will you make this sculpt a basic sometime? (no answer) , -will you make a mega gem line sometime? (we don't know our plans) , -will you ever make some not limited fantasy parts? (we don't know we have no plans for something like that yet) .... they used very well the motto "grab the opportunity while you can" but they never placed the words limited edition or LE besides the name of the sculpt or the fantasy parts description so technically they kept for their selves the right to release as basic the dolls & the parts ... I wasn't sure when & how but I surely could see that coming.
      ….
      I believe that their rude and optimistic behaviour made that looking bad if they were more clear it would not even be a discussion about that now. But I believe it's a huge loss of labour to keep the sculpts limited as well.
      As for my opinion I've taken second hand parts which I don't regret ,plus I've taken 2 MD from soom which I also don't regret ... but I also prefer the p.e. angelheim policy & way they dealing with their fantasy or limited editions & with customers …
      So surely I'd love to see both the dolls /heads / and even parts as basic and also I'd like to see heads & parts sold separately, I have not much pleasure to deal with soom after their lack of response which almost cost me losing Lazule & I'll only get selected parts-heads if those offered separately but not a full doll just for the head or parts (something I never did) so basic will be not enough for me I want heads or parts only option too.

2. It really depends on how it was done in terms of how much, if any, ire it would generate. For instance, they might get less grief if releasing 'entirely human' NS versions of the sculpts than just releasing the same dolls.

I would be more annoyed with people getting annoyed about it than I would be annoyed by the company doing something like this, and I have quite a few of the monthly dolls.

3. (replying to my own thread :P) I would *LOVE* to have Cuprit (she is my heart) in NS. I generally sell off the fantasy parts anyways, it's not that I don't like them.... it's that i'm way too paranoid about breaking them to enjoy them at all.
      I would be a little frustrated if I knew I spent $700 on my cuprit human version, and then she came out in human version for $500. Not angry, just like *sigh*

I think Soom doesn't make it clear because it would kill some of the feeding frenzy with the monthly dolls, which have to be impulse buys, and they make a lot of short term money off of them... and then they'd be raking in the dough if the released monthly sculpts as NS basic human editions because of the people who missed out on the limited editions.

So I'd be happy to get my Cuprit a twin, but I would be *sigh* because I would have $200 more for what is essentially the same product. I would buy the hell out of some MD basic dolls though. :P

4. I would be over the moon, I quite like some of the MD head sculpts but am not interested in the fantasy parts and colors. Normal skin human Euclase? Hell. Yes. Plus I wouldn't have to feel bad for splitting up a limited full set just to get the basic human version I wanted. Also I don't enjoy the stress of having to decide whether I can live without a limited sculpt and trying to scrape up the cash for it on short notice. I budget my doll purchases and limiteds just don't fit into that. I'd be glad to see Soom dolls become more accessible to those of us who prefer basics.

5. If a company has made a lot of sales of a doll off the back of the doll being available for a limited time only, I think it's unfair to go back on that and re-release the doll with only a tiny change. The release of NS Sard was different, but re-releasing Sard in WS with a different face-up to distinguish between the two editions? I don't think that's fair on the people who bought him first time around, since a face-up can be wiped anyway and the doll would basically be the same.

I don't think it would be a problem if the fantasy parts were retired entirely and the sculpts were released as human versions, some of the MDs have been stunning dolls and it could prove to be a money-spinner for Soom if they did that. I know of a few people who loved Amber but wanted her as a human rather than with her faun ears.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to buy something because it's a limited edition, it's not elitist. Some people approach this hobby as a collectable hobby and in most collectable hobbies, limited editions are highly sought after because they're not readily available. It doesn't make someone feel more special than someone else any more than collecting limited edition piggy banks would make someone feel special. It's about someone prioritising collecting limiteds over standards for any number of reasons.

6. I can see why people would be really upset, especially if you purchased a Bygg of the marketplace for $650 or a Sard for $2500.

BUT personally, I would love to get my hands on Vesuvia, and Winnie Dee Afi! And maybe Ai, and Monzo, and Sphaler, and Chalco, and Breccia, all dolls that I either passed on to buy other things, or didn't have the funds for.

However I don't think Soom will ever do this. They'd sort of be fools if they ever did. Their market strategy is akin to Volks- keep it limited and keep the fans hungry. Though I will say they are more generous than Volks- giving an ordering period instead of a lottery and taking international orders. The basic idea remains the same.

I WOULD like to see them rerelease for short ORDER periods some of the past dolls so that those who missed them on the first round could have a chance a to get them. Do like a week long release or periodic surprise For Five Days rereleases. That would be a nice. But honestly I like the current system fo the Monthly dolls and I think the production would suffer if they have too many basic editions as well. I also believe that this is one of the reasons they have discontinued lines like the Gem, so that their entire production line can keep up with the demand for the MDs.

7. As I wrote to another discussion... I think it would be wise of Soom to make colourful bodies so probably many people would buy them for their extra heads, but I hope they´ll be not that stupid to make their MD:s basics, at least so soon after ending the line. I think if they´d make some cute new faces, and would sell them in different colours, many would be happy. Or the MD molds in another colours or something. But making exactly the same ones just in basic versions... Well, I can see so many would be angry for that, even still they wouldn´t have the special parts.

I understand it by company´s point, they´d get many dolls sold re-releasing some popular dolls, maybe in different colour and without fantasy parts. But for the ones buying extremely expensive limited dolls second hand, it would be awful feeling.

I experienced the same feelings with Fairyland... As many of you know, the RealPuki full sets were really popular and when they ended, the re-selling prices got very high. There were many wanting to have them and Fairyland was nice and heard the wish, releasing new lot of Sosos in full set. I was feeling so lucky to get one of those, even though I felt that was awfully expensive to my money situation, but I thought that was my only chance to get the doll even in that - normal - price. I had tried many times in MP but always there was someone offering more or being more quick to get the faceplate or doll I hoped to get. And they actually were sold out again in day or two.

From the very beginning Fairyland has told to never release them as basics, how much and many times it was asked them. Even when they gave the new lot of Soso full sets, they said so. And then just some weeks after, they released both of the dolls in basic version. The full set buyers hadn´t even get their dolls yet, it was that soon. I know that the price difference isn´t that big after all, the basic doll is still very expensive, but if I´d had a chance, I´d probably gone for the basic anyways, and that sucks. Still, in other hand, I´m really happy about the dolls are now available, as so many was left out and it´s a lovely doll. Just feeling like Fairyland spoiled my happiness of getting the doll I had wished for so much. :( And if I´d been one buying the doll second hand in double price I´d really felt sad for it.

But, getting back to the Soom doll speculation, if there would be chance, I´d love to buy the Hati head/human body in reasonable price. I have none of the Soom dolls mostly because they´re way too expensive for my likings, and I´m not a fan of the fantasy parts. I got an Appini head in split though, and am really happy for it. :)

8. If Soom wants to keep doing limiteds, why not just put out some limited heads? People would snap them up. I really liked Breccia's head but could have cared less about the rest of her and I didn't get the head because apparently a lot of other people felt the same way-almost all the splits were people who had claimed the head or head and body and were trying to get rid of the rest of the stuff.

9. I would hate it if the limiteds would be released as basics
      however I would love it if they would make new editions of the old limiteds, diffirent from the old ones(in colour and/or fantasy parts)

I think if they wanted to make them basics they should have said so earlier, not afterwards, it's rude
      And people are saying that the could release "human" versions. What about Onyx, she has no fantasy parts, same as Io(the scarface is somewhat fantasy but the regular head is not. Io was even available as normal skin) Cass was able to be bought without fisshy parts.

If they are going to make a basic line they should make new heads for that, they must have gained a lot of experience from making all the limiteds, let them take that and make new, original, basic molds.

10. i would be SO happy if soom decided to do this, i am in love with soom topaz's face, but i am not a huge fan of fantasy parts. mainly because they just don't fit a character i have, but that doesn't mean i don't like to look at them.

i love seeing a company's creativity, but soom topaz's face is just so beautiful and sweet, and i didn't find out about her until last year so even if i had had the money to buy her when she was available i wouldn't have known it was happening. it would be awesome if they would offer some of the limited heads with the basic bodys.

to be fair to the ppl who did buy the limiteds though, i do not think soom should resell any of the fantasy parts. because that just would completely unfair.

11. I really don't see any problem with it, since if they released regular versions of the dolls they probably wouldn't be sold with all the extra fantasy parts anyway. So those who bought the limiteds would have all those special parts. Those who initially purchased them as limiteds with the intention of selling the fantasy parts and keeping the doll as human wouldn't really lose out either since they've sold those extra parts on and made back a great deal of their purchase price anyway. No, the only people I can really see being hurt by this are the scalpers and the people who buy from them. And just look at how wonderful it would be for others on DoA to be able to get their grail dolls, having initially missed Soom's very narrow one month window. That would certainly bring a lot of joy and Creativity to the forums!

12. I think if they just released the doll but nothing else with it, I wouldn't have that much of a problem... I'm sure I'd jump on a few of them if they were decently priced.. But I think I'd still be a little annoyed they did that..

13. If Soom re-released their monthly dolls as just basic humans, I'd be in heaven...though my husband and our bank account would kill me. I don't like most of Soom's regular, basic dolls as something to add to my, personal, collection. But I've loved quite a few of the face/head sculpts of the monthly dolls that aren't available as anything other than that monthly doll...there are some that I can only DREAM about finding eventually with the full fantasy parts where I love the fantasy parts as much as the human versions. But if I could get the basic human versions at any time, there are several who would go on my list. Including a few whose fantasy parts I'd love to have too. Then I'd only have to hunt down the fantasy parts, and not the whole doll, or I could go about trying to sculpt my own versions, in my own style, to go with my human dolls, as I'm trying that already for dolls I have but want, say, hooves for...where there is no place I can get hooves for the size doll I want them for.

Now...I also see how it would royally SUCK for those who went through that scramble during the ordering period to get the doll when it first came out as a monthly LE. It would suck even more for those who paid higher prices to get that basic, human only, doll on the second hand market after the fact.

14. Phew...after I got over my initial heart-attack over the concept of this thread (I admit, I had spent too much time on DoA and it was time for me to take a bit of a stress dump!) I took the time to just read through everyone's responses and I feel, even after gouging out my kidneys to sell on the black market in order to afford my Cuprit... Soom releasing their MD's in human form only with no fantasy parts doesn't quite offend me as much as it initially did. If I saw a Cuprit as a human, with no special ears, faceup, costume, fantasy parts, etc. it simply wouldn't be a real Cuprit to me, and I would be okay with it. It would be especially nice if they did re-release the MDs as regular human dolls, they gave them regular human names. Like Cuprit could be Cecilia, Onyx could be Olivia, Chrom could be Charlie, etc etc...

15. This is a really good point. To some people Cuprit is her ice hooves and horns. A Cuprit without those pieces is...not a Cuprit. It probably explains why human versions of the MDs take longer to sell on the Marketplace.

It wouldn't really bother me if Soom released their MDs as humans. Especially since some of them they basically have released as humans (Sard/Dia).

16. Indeed--I feel that while I really wanted my Cuprit to come with her human parts to be a "full set" I realize I will never actually use them O_o So a totally human Cuprit would definitely be a different doll IMHO.

17. I would looove if Soom released their MDs as basics, especially the tinies. I've definitely missed out on some sculpts I love because I couldn't afford a limited doll.

Also, I think there are usually a moderately sized group of each MD and so it's not as if they're really one of a kind anyway. If I had one I don't think I'd be upset.

18. Yeah for me, I don't care how many people own the same sculpt as me--just the fact that I spent so much money on it because I was forced to make an after-market purchase of her as my entry into the hobby was well after Cuprit was sold out.

19. I woudn't have a problem with it. Especially if that meant I could get a Bix without the fantasy parts. I always loved him with or without the parts; they aren't that important to me. I think if Soom released their monthly dolls in different skintones with simpler faceups kinda like Iplehouse that'd be great.

20. I would be so very happy. I've fallen in love with Onyx and if I saw her offered as a basic line doll, I would flip!